PDA

View Full Version : Uribe

hose
04-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Uribe has looked like great so far coming off the bench to play 3 different positions. Juan has lessened the loss of Tony G and he could very well end up the Sox every day SS next year.

I have a feeling Uribe is going to one of the better SS in the game, he has all the tools to achieve this. Santana and Ozzie will be the difference for Uribe.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38095115

soxfan26
04-18-2004, 08:11 AM
"I can play shortstop, I can play third base, second, I can play outfield,'' Uribe said. "Whatever the team needs, I can do it.''

The guy is playing hard. I am impressed with him so far. He would certainly be a cheaper alternative to Valentin next season.

hose
04-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
The guy is playing hard. I am impressed with him so far. He would certainly be a cheaper alternative to Valentin next season.

"Cheaper is better"
:reinsy

SEALgep
04-18-2004, 10:06 AM
The guy is playing hard. I am impressed with him so far. He would certainly be a cheaper alternative to Valentin next season. Agreed. Since he's been hitting the ball the other way, he's shown he is a better hitter than he was for the Rockies, as predicted by his former manager.

HITMEN OF 77
04-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm really impressed with Uribe. My question is, do we get rid of Harris and let Uribe play 2nd now or do we keep Harris around and look for Uribe to play somewhere else in our infield?

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I'm really impressed with Uribe. My question is, do we get rid of Harris and let Uribe play 2nd now or do we keep Harris around and look for Uribe to play somewhere else in our infield?

I think Uribe's more talented, but Willie has been pretty good so far. I certainly hope Uribe keeps playing like this then we won't miss Jose. And with Willie, who knows. He's sure shut me up so far. Maybe he can handle it at second. If not, we just have to find another Uribe.

jordan23ventura
04-18-2004, 03:00 PM
If Olivo can continue hitting like this he could be the perfect fit behind either Hariis or Uribe.

The key for them this year is to use their speed to get out to early leads by manufacturing runs. If the top two can perform well, the Sox 3-4-5-6-7 looks pretty harsh, and makes Rowand and Valentin look tougher in the 8-9.

So far, this season to me has been almost as fun as the roll they went on last year after the All-Star break. This is definately a better team, and if they can win this year we will drop $11mil in salary to JV + BK alone and can sign that No.1 starter. If this level of play continues, this team can become a force again.

But still, you have to watch out for those July "Reinsdorf Special" trades.

manuelsucks
04-18-2004, 11:18 PM
I think Uribe has been an awesome addition to the Sox. With the unfortunate loss of Tony G, Uribe has shown he is a solid bench player. He has been able to play any position that they've put him at, and he has a great attitude. What more could we ask for?As for next year, I'd love to see him start at shortstop. So far, I've been so unimpressed by Jose this year. 14 strikeouts and counting and 4 errors, possibly more if it weren't for Pauly's amazing defense. I would certainly welcome Uribe with open arms next year.

Mohoney
04-19-2004, 12:40 AM

We get Orlando Cabrera at SS and cruise to about 95 wins with him batting 2nd.

SSN721
04-19-2004, 06:48 AM

I have been very very impressed with Uribe. I would definitely like to see him get as much playing tim eas possible. I would also have to say though I dont really understand a lot of posters here that are so quick to dump Harris, in my opinion he has been doing great, he plays solid D and He has been very productive getting on base and even knocking in a few RBIs, I am not sure how much more we should expect for that position. I would like to see Harris play a full season under this system before I decide whether to definitely keep him or get rid of him.

voodoochile
04-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I have been very very impressed with Uribe. I would definitely like to see him get as much playing tim eas possible. I would also have to say though I dont really understand a lot of posters here that are so quick to dump Harris, in my opinion he has been doing great, he plays solid D and He has been very productive getting on base and even knocking in a few RBIs, I am not sure how much more we should expect for that position. I would like to see Harris play a full season under this system before I decide whether to definitely keep him or get rid of him.

Harris has walked once this year. His OBP is .289. Uribe has also only walked once, but has an OBP over .400. Neither is an ideal leadoff man, but Uribe has a greater upside offensively and currently has an OPS over .900.

The Sox need guys at the top of the lineup who can reach base. Right now Harris doesn't look like that guy, but the season is young. Maybe he develops, though I'm not that impressed. They should ride Uribe while he is hot, IMO.

jabrch
04-19-2004, 09:02 AM
If both Uribe and Harris materialize, we can stick with them as 2B/SS next year, and use the 5mm from Jose to go after a front end starting pitcher for the rotation. We also need to resign Esteban eventually also. Oh, and Magglio.

hose
04-20-2004, 07:45 AM

Valentin isn't necessarily out of the picture for next year, but his $5 million most likely is.

Here is another good article on Uribe.

Btw they have Uribe listed at 175 pounds :?: Willie Harris is listed at 170.... so Juan is only 5 pounds heavier than Wee Willie?..gmab

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040419&content_id=721041&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by hose
Valentin isn't necessarily out of the picture for next year, but his $5 million most likely is.

Here is another good article on Uribe.

Btw they have Uribe listed at 175 pounds :?: Willie Harris is listed at 170.... so Juan is only 5 pounds heavier than Wee Willie?..gmab

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040419&content_id=721041&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

I don't want Jose this year and I don't want him next year, regardless of his price tag.

I'm so tired of hearing about Jose "making up" for his defensive errors. Jose's offensive productivity should have nothing to do with whether or not he makes an error in the field. Unfortunately, it appears that making errors in the field is the only thing that motivates Jose to have a good at bat. His time here is done.

hose
04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I don't want Jose this year and I don't want him next year, regardless of his price tag.

I'm so tired of hearing about Jose "making up" for his defensive errors. Jose's offensive productivity should have nothing to do with whether or not he makes an error in the field. Unfortunately, it appears that making errors in the field is the only thing that motivates Jose to have a good at bat. His time here is done.

Jose is about the only power the Sox have from the left side of the plate, so he pretty much has to stay in the line up.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 08:09 AM
I'll take smart hitting over power hitting any day. I understand that the entire lineup won't hit .300, but last year he batted .237. That's not good enough.

Power hitting results in softball scores one day and then zero the next day.

The last 2 world series champs won it all with smart hitting over power.

voodoochile
04-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I'll take smart hitting over power hitting any day. I understand that the entire lineup won't hit .300, but last year he batted .237. That's not good enough.

Yes, his average was low, but he did walk 54 times to bring his OBP up to .313 (not spectacular, but not horrible either). He also posted an OPS of .776 which was his lowest total in any of the 4 years preceeding this one. Currently his OPS is .910 for 2004. Too small a sample size to say it is a trend, but since he is no longer batting right handed it wouldn't be surprising to see it make a jump this year.

Please define "smart hitting". I think we can all understand what power is, but isn't smart hitting taking what the pitcher gives you and if that is something you can drive, you drive it.

hose
04-20-2004, 09:37 AM

The bottom line is that the Sox have to have something from the left side of the plate and Jose is about it.

KW needs to address this again this year after losing Everett over the winter.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Smart hitting is working pitchers to a full count, taking walks, and not swinging for the fences at every at bat. This needs to start with Willie and Jose (batters 1 and 2).

I agree, Hose, KW has left us with no left handed stick for a while now ( Jeff Liefer, Brian Daubach.) This year it's Gload. Who knows how he's going to turn out.

SEALgep
04-20-2004, 10:46 AM

I agree, Hose, KW has left us with no left handed stick for a while now ( Jeff Liefer, Brian Daubach.) This year it's Gload. Who knows how he's going to turn out. Gload has shown he can hit, I'm not worried about him.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 10:57 AM
The bottom line is that the Sox have to have something from the left side of the plate and Jose is about it.

KW needs to address this again this year after losing Everett over the winter.

Jeremy Reed.

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Jose still can produce 25 homers and 75 RBIs, despite a low BA. He also is known for being a good clubhouse presence. I agree that his BA is awfully low, but I think we can see the future in Uribe. Jose will get his days off and with Uribe being able to play 3 infield positions he should get plenty of at-bats. Due to a poor bench Uribe is the only guy to backup at SS, 3B, and 2B.

hose
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Jeremy Reed.

I have high hopes for some of the left handed sticks down on the farm ,especially Reed.

Do you think he could get called up this year now that Timo has been acquired?

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I have high hopes for some of the left handed sticks down on the farm ,especially Reed.

Do you think he could get called up this year now that Timo has been acquired?

Anything is possible. It will only take 1 injury, or if Reed keeps hitting like he is, it won't matter, they'll have to move either Timo or Rowand.

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Timo is a stop-gap until Rowand is moved to the 4th outfield spot. This will happen once Reed is ready to take on the position everyday. But of course if the Sox stay on the same course Reed will have to wait until roster expansion because there is something to be said for clubhouse chemistry. If a injury were to occur then Reed seems the likely choice to move into the CF spot.

All speculation....I hope Rowand can do something with the opportunity he's been given this year to play everyday.

JRIG
04-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Smart hitting is working pitchers to a full count, taking walks, and not swinging for the fences at every at bat. This needs to start with Willie and Jose (batters 1 and 2).

But Harris and Uribe don't do any of those things. (Exept Harris doesn't swing for the fences because he has no power) Valentin at least takes a walk here and there. So who would you like to ply SS evey day and do some "smart hitting"?