PDA

View Full Version : Schoenweis looks solid

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2004, 06:57 PM
For a fourth starter he has shown the ability to give the Sox a chance to win. He's gone 6 2/3 innings, 5 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB against the Rays. Not to mention, he kept the Sox in it against the Yanks. I'll take it.

He would have made it through the 7th if Valentin didnt shut off his brain.

A. Cavatica
04-17-2004, 08:33 PM
I won't feel comfortable with him starting until the All Star break. His track record as a starter's just too bad to ignore.

Then again, he pitched a great game today, and I hope he can keep doing it. It's good for us (and for him) that he hasn't continued to pitch as badly as he did this spring.

Good going Scotty, I won't mind eating crow every five days if you keep winning.

lowesox
04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Yep. So far, he's making me eat my words - and I love it.

soxtalker
04-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, the story in ST was that he was working almost exclusively on two new pitches, and that was why he was struggling. Does anyone have any idea if he's using those new pitches with any success? (I assume that he's only using them in certain spots, but I'm wondering if he's using them much at all.)

CubKilla
04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Well, the story in ST was that he was working almost exclusively on two new pitches, and that was why he was struggling. Does anyone have any idea if he's using those new pitches with any success? (I assume that he's only using them in certain spots, but I'm wondering if he's using them much at all.)

He should stick with whatever he used in NY from the 3rd inning on and whatever he used today :D:

Whitesox029
04-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
He should stick with whatever he used in NY from the 3rd inning on and whatever he used today :D:
I love to see Schoeneweis doing so well, and I do want him to be Loaiza II, and I hate to put a damper on things, but keep in mind this was against Tampa Bay. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll get excited when he does it three times in a row.

MRKARNO
04-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Overall he looked pretty good. He was pitching inside to just about everyone and you cant really go wrong doing that. He's gonna strike people out with all of those offspeed pitches down low. A little bit too many deep fly balls for my liking, but he could have gone the distance if it werent for JosK

CyYoung5621
04-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Yah I agree those fly balls scared me. But once I saw Maggs & co. stop at the warning track I breathed a big sigh of relief.

jabrch
04-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
I love to see Schoeneweis doing so well, and I do want him to be Loaiza II, and I hate to put a damper on things, but keep in mind this was against Tampa Bay. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll get excited when he does it three times in a row.

Yeah - against the same Tampa Bay team that split with the Yanks and took 2 of 3 vs Baltimore.

They aren't the Yanks, but Tampa has a very solid lineup with a lot of guys who can hit. Shoe has been impresseive so far - move than I expected.

hose
04-18-2004, 07:59 AM
A couple of scouts have mentioned that Schoenweis looks like a different pitcher now that he has added a change up and cutter to his repertoire. It was just a blurb in one of the papers last week , but it's encouraging to see Scott be effective and the pros validate it.

The Sox will be featuring 3 southpaws in their staring rotation after Cotts gets promoted.

Railsplitter
04-18-2004, 08:03 AM

Assuming Ozzie doesn't shake thinks up, Schoes' next three starts will be home vs. Yankers (that spelling is deliberate) Apr. 22, home vs the Indians Apr. 27, and home vs. The Blue Jays May 2.

starboy0
04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
..., but keep in mind this was against Tampa Bay. Take it with a grain of salt...

But don't forget they're a major league team with some good hitters and Scho showed he can get it done.

This is just another thing I like about the Sox this year. The opponent could only score one run against our 4th starter and that was unearned!

fquaye149
04-18-2004, 09:52 AM

tampa bay has at least as good a lineup as minnesota what with aubrey huff, carl crawford, robert fick,and rocco baldelli

South Sider
04-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
tampa bay has at least as good a lineup as minnesota what with aubrey huff, carl crawford, robert fick,and rocco baldelli

Jose Cruz should be mentioned here too

jabrch
04-18-2004, 10:25 AM
If Shoe has a solid season, does KW deserve a lot of respect as an evaluator of pitching talent?

MRKARNO
04-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
If Shoe has a solid season, does KW deserve a lot of respect as an evaluator of pitching talent?

Oh he definitely does. Everyone here was ready to cut him after his ST performance. KW saw something in him that none of us saw. If Schoe has an ERA under 4.5 and a lot of Quality starts to his credit, KW gets a lot of credit for getting him fairly cheaply and only in exchange for the uneeded Gary Glover

NonetheLoaiza
04-18-2004, 01:03 PM
i dont know...kw sure is the same guy that traded for todd ritchie...

SoxxoS
04-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza

:beatdeadhorse

Cubbiesuck13
04-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza

and the same who gave Loaiza a chance.