PDA

View Full Version : Sox 10 game report card


chisox06
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Ok, first 10 games are over with, 6-4 is actually better than I thought we would be at this point. But its time to hand out some grades, and see who's performing and who isnt.

Harris- B, hittin around .270 had some clutch hits, I think the more playing time the better for this guy, this could be a breakout year

Valentin- C-, too many strikeouts, and his fielding has been pretty awful so far. He is hitting about .270, not great but better than what we would expect from this guy.

Ordonez- A+, he was the player of the week.

Lee- C+, started off well but needs to get it goin again, couple homers 6 RBI's not bad, I think he'll turn it on

Thomas- C-, he's startin to hit better but still a pretty slow start from his standards, I was gonna rate him higher because of his attitude but now hes moanin about his contract, same old Frank

Konerko- A-, considering his start last year, hes doin awesome

Uribe- B, hitting well, but has had some mental lapses on the paths and in the field

Olivo- A+, I think this guy is finally a major league hitter, and we all know what he's doin behind the plate.

Crede- C, not hitting, but has played a pretty solid thirid

Rowand- C-, kind of dissaspointing after his spring, played a good center, needs to get the lumber goin

Alomar- A-, hittin well so far despite his limited play, solid behind the plate, good veteran to have around.

Bench- C, havent seen the bench guys too much so its hard to get a read, havent been dissaspointed really with Gload, Timo or whoever comes in to Pinch hit/Run.

Starting Pitching- C- all the guys with the exception of Danny Wrong have showed signs of dominance out there, needs to improve though, team ERA is still to high (high 6's I belive)

Relief- C- Its had its moments but with the exception of Kroch, they have pitched pretty well. Even Damaso has pitched well as of late which is a great sign, although the pen has still showed me that this is an area to worry about.

OZZIE- B+, I love the aggresiveness out there, and the clubhouse seems to be smiling a lot more. Sox doin small ball, thats good to see. Basically hes doing everything we hoped he would (so far). Paulie stealing a base, I LOVE IT!

TEAM- B, decent record but could be better if the pitching was more consistant, overall so far Im pretty pleased however.

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I'd give Crede a B at least...He saved our asses at least 3 times on defence...

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I'd give Crede a B at least...He saved our asses at least 3 times on defence... Not to mention the GW RBI.

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Not to mention the GW RBI.

true dat

chisox06
04-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Hmm believe it or not I forgot about that Crede hit, dont know what I was thinking, this is why Im not a teacher :D:

SoxFan76
04-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Crede gets an A+ from me. His defense outweighs his lack of offense in my mind.

I think you were a little rough on Big Frank. Sure, he's not hitting real well yet, but he still is getting on base a lot. He has walked his fair share of times this season.

lowesox
04-17-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd suggest a few changes:

You gave Lee a C+
I'd bump Lee up to a B. It seems in every box score he's done something to help the team win. I like Lee more and more every day.

You gave Uribe a B
I'd give him an A. In fact, Magglio aside, I think he may have been our best player so far this season.

You gave Olivo an A+:
That's generous. I'd say more like a A-.

You gave our Starters a C-:
I'd give them a B. Buerle looks like he's returned to his previous form. And until later in his last start Garland looked absolutely dominant. And Loaiza's won 2 games in 2 starts. Now Shoenweiss is starting to look solid. The only real concern is Wright, and we've got options there with Cotts throwing well in the pen and Diaz pitching well down on the farm.

You gave Ozzie a B+:
I'd give him an A+. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Ozzie, but I love him. I love how this team NEVER quits. There were two games against KC alone where I wholeheartedly believe we would have lost with JM managing. This team is playing hungry and alive. There all over the bases and I like how Ozzie's handled the bullpen especially with Koch being a questionmark. I even love how he's handled Thomas. In fact, I was very down on this team before the season started and I'm not anymore. And I believe Ozzie's the reason for that.

OTherwise, I think your assessment is bang on. I think if I was Kenny Williams I'd be keeping a close eye on the our starting pitching and ROwand in Rowand and Harris. But so far, I think this team looks very well put together. And I'm often VERY hard on KW, so those words are a little tough to say.

MRKARNO
04-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Valentin should get a D-

crector
04-17-2004, 10:08 PM
If you were to compare/contrast the stats, I think that you'd find that the Sox bullpen has been much better than that of the Cubs. The Cubs relievers just hand out bases on balls like cotton candy.

chisox06
04-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'd suggest a few changes:

You gave Lee a C+
I'd bump Lee up to a B. It seems in every box score he's done something to help the team win. I like Lee more and more every day.

You gave Uribe a B
I'd give him an A. In fact, Magglio aside, I think he may have been our best player so far this season.

You gave Olivo an A+:
That's generous. I'd say more like a A-.

You gave our Starters a C-:
I'd give them a B. Buerle looks like he's returned to his previous form. And until later in his last start Garland looked absolutely dominant. And Loaiza's won 2 games in 2 starts. Now Shoenweiss is starting to look solid. The only real concern is Wright, and we've got options there with Cotts throwing well in the pen and Diaz pitching well down on the farm.

You gave Ozzie a B+:
I'd give him an A+. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Ozzie, but I love him. I love how this team NEVER quits. There were two games against KC alone where I wholeheartedly believe we would have lost with JM managing. This team is playing hungry and alive. There all over the bases and I like how Ozzie's handled the bullpen especially with Koch being a questionmark. I even love how he's handled Thomas. In fact, I was very down on this team before the season started and I'm not anymore. And I believe Ozzie's the reason for that.

OTherwise, I think your assessment is bang on. I think if I was Kenny Williams I'd be keeping a close eye on the our starting pitching and ROwand in Rowand and Harris. But so far, I think this team looks very well put together. And I'm often VERY hard on KW, so those words are a little tough to say.

All great points, you can discuss the players performance so far until your outa breath. One thing is for certain, for all the guys tearin it up-ITS STILL EARLY, and for all the guys slacking-ITS STILL EARLY. 151 games left, but so far Ive been pretty happy with this squad, and until Im proven otherwise my conifedence is growing.

Whitesox029
04-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by crector
If you were to compare/contrast the stats, I think that you'd find that the Sox bullpen has been much better than that of the Cubs. The Cubs relievers just hand out bases on balls like cotton candy.
And those of us with sweet-teeth know how much cotton candy costs at Comiskey.