PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-17-04 Sox @ D-Rays Game II thread

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Crack open a beer, open all the windows. The world is a wonderful place to be today.

Scott Schoeneweis faces Zambrano in game II of the 3 game weekend set.

It's the White Sox and Tampa.......

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT.

hempsox
04-17-2004, 04:58 PM
This could be bad...hopefully for Zambrano
Hope that Oz hopped on the teams butt for all the long swings yesterday.

chisox06
04-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Zambrano is a tough, and he's 3-0, lets just hope the corpseball yesterday was just a fluke, GO SOX!

patbooyah
04-17-2004, 05:03 PM
did anybody see the special miguel olivo piece before the game?

it made him look really really good. he might be my new favorite.

chisox06
04-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Lineup

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Gload
Perez
Uribe
Alomar

Ah, nothing like a good lineup tinker

Cubbiesuck13
04-17-2004, 05:06 PM
we are going to loose some games, and some of those will be ugly. the key is to how we respond. so far, we have responded pretty well after a loss. here is to tonight! :gulp:

Cubbiesuck13
04-17-2004, 05:06 PM
did anyone notice that this is a battle between two first place teams?

chisox06
04-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
:gulp:

Thats a good idea! looks like Guiness in that cup, gonna crack one open!

MRKARNO
04-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Lineup

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Gload
Perez
Uribe
Alomar

No Crede, No Rowand, no Konerko and no olivo? All of a sudden the lineup looks like crap

chisox06
04-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No Crede, No Rowand, no Konerko and no olivo? All of a sudden the lineup looks like crap

Thats what the lineup shows on Gameday. If its true, your right thats sucks pretty good right their

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Lineup

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Gload
Perez
Uribe
Alomar

Ozzie's weapon of choice for this series...
http://www.krobarstudios.com/images/screwdriver.jpg

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Can't wait to see Gload, I heard he can really flash the leather at first.

balboner
04-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Pathetically quick inning by the Sox there. They always seem so flat in Tampa.

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Pathetically quick inning by the Sox there. They always seem so flat in Tampa.

Strange...that stadium is bubbling with life and baseball nostalgia...

balboner
04-17-2004, 05:23 PM
At this time, I'd like to thank KW for not acquiring a 4th or 5th starter this offseason.

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Strange...that stadium is bubbling with life and baseball nostalgia... Lol, it's so dead it you can hear the ball being caught by Olivo. It really sounds like he is humming them in there.

SoxEd
04-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Any news on why the big lineup changes?

Is it some clubhouse illness, or have the benched players been hung up by the thumbs to think about their performances yesterday?

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Good DP. :)

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:26 PM
ok, shoenweiss didn't look that bad out there yet....they've got some crazy microphones close to home plate though; every time it hits olivo's glove, it sounds like they just cranked one over the fence...

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 05:26 PM
What's your favorite number?

Mine's any three digit, non-repeating number that ends in 3.

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Someone's gonna hit a homerun this inning...I can feel it....

SoxEd
04-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
Someone's gonna hit a homerun this inning...I can feel it....
as long as it's in the Top of the inning, that's fine by me.

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:30 PM
might not be.....you never know about these feelings....

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:31 PM
That was nice, and a real pretty swing by Gload.

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Hard single by Gload, men on first and third.....nice ass hit

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Sox up 1 on sacrifice fly by Timo

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Good sac by Timo, looking to do it and did it.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Hey folks, we would appreciate you helping keep costs down by using the chat room instead of this thread. Nice group in there already you can make a difference...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450

mealfred13
04-17-2004, 05:34 PM
just went in there....problem was, i was the only one there....

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hey folks, we would appreciate you helping keep costs down by using the chat room instead of this thread. Nice group in there already you can make a difference...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450 I can't, my computer got reformatted and I don't have Java as of yet. I'll keep my posts down to a minimum though. :smile:

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I can't, my computer got reformatted and I don't have Java as of yet. I'll keep my posts down to a minimum though. :smile:

Try to do inning by inning updates instead of commenting on every pitch, out, nubber, etc.

Thanks for trying folks, we appreciate it.

balboner
04-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Borderline call goes Tampa's way. Time to throw some stuff onto the field!

Viva Magglio
04-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Lineup

Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Gload
Perez
Uribe
Alomar

:ozzie
*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I love cotton candy. :)

SoxBoy14
04-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Why is Gload starting?

RKMeibalane
04-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Frank with another walk.

I'll be the first to talk about what a great player Frank Thomas is, but are pitchers really this afraid of the guy? He hasn't gotten a decent pitch to hit the entire game.

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 06:23 PM
What's Thomas's OBP this season? It should be pretty impressive with all these walks.

RKMeibalane
That's twice that Gload's been hit. The first D-Ray hitter in the bottom of the fifth needs to get knocked on his ass.

BearSox
I just heard the worst heckle ever.......

D Rays Fan: "How can you wear a black shirt if you're a White Sock?!!!"

balboner
04-17-2004, 06:24 PM
What is Timo doing swinging at the first pitch after the pitcher has walked 2 guys and hit another in a row? That's poor baseball. He fits in great here, doesnt he.

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
That's twice that Gload's been hit. The first D-Ray hitter in the bottom of the fifth needs to get knocked on his ass.

I've never understood that -- why give them a free baserunner?

I mean, especially with our pitching! They'll get enough freebies.

BearSox
04-17-2004, 06:25 PM
What is Timo doing swinging at the first pitch after the pitcher has walked 2 guys and hit another in a row? That's poor baseball. He fits in great here, doesnt he.

Last few years he'd fit in well

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 06:26 PM

Just about to say that.

That is not just a bad at bat...that is HORRIBLE. No excuse.

When you walk 2 guys and hit another, you take the first pitch, I don't care if it's underhand.

Come on Timo, you are better than that.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Try to do inning by inning updates instead of commenting on every pitch, out, nubber, etc.

Thanks for trying folks, we appreciate it.

I don't get this at all.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 06:28 PM
I don't want to jinx anything here, but Scho is absolutely dealing.

3 hits through 5 complete innings. I love it.

RKMeibalane
04-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Shoeneweis has done a really nice job tonight. It looks like he's figured out whatever problems he was having during ST.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I don't get this at all.

The more posts cost more money b/c you are using more bandwidth.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The more posts cost more money b/c you are using more bandwidth.

No, I understand that part. I'm the one who actually provided that answer to someone last week.

The part I don't understand is that Voodoo is asking us not to post when he's got over 11,000 posts himself :D:

Blueprint1
04-17-2004, 06:33 PM
wHAT IS WITH THAT PLAY?

RKMeibalane
04-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Terrible baserunning by Alomar. Just take your single and stop. Sheesh!

RKMeibalane
04-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Damn it, Frank!

balboner
04-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I've had enough of Jose!!! He's been just terrible in the field.

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 06:56 PM
$1.25 million per error...

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 06:57 PM
4 errors. 11 games.

That averages out to about 58 errors over the season.

Which is about 85,000 per error.

WinningUgly!
04-17-2004, 07:03 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/hegone.jpg

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 07:06 PM
No, I understand that part. I'm the one who actually provided that answer to someone last week.

The part I don't understand is that Voodoo is asking us not to post when he's got over 11,000 posts himself :D:

Well... see, some of those are in my moderator capacity. Asking people not to post so I have more bandwidth for myself. :D:

What do you think that U.P.W. stands for beside my title anyway?

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:10 PM
What do you think that U.P.W. stands for beside my title anyway?

Beats me. I'm just trying to figure out why Caballo can't slide into second base.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Beats me. I'm just trying to figure out why Caballo can't slide into second base.

I'll let you dwell on the UPW for a while, but I think Carlos was trying to beat the throw and knew a slide would slow him down.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:16 PM
I'll let you dwell on the UPW for a while, but I think Carlos was trying to beat the throw and knew a slide would slow him down.

LOL. You think the wheels are turning THAT much in Caballo's head? I hope Oz chewed his ass out when he got back to the dugout.

Meanwhile, it appears Hawk is driving the Juan Uribe bandwagon right now. He's in love with him.

:hawk

"Mercy. Juan with some NICE hustle down that line."'

"Juan had that base stolen."

balboner
04-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Politte can't be pitched in close games with the lack of control he's been showing. Way too many lead-off walks.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 07:21 PM
It ain't easy....EVER

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 07:21 PM
LOL. You think the wheels are turning THAT much in Caballo's head? I hope Oz chewed his ass out when he got back to the dugout.

Meanwhile, it appears Hawk is driving the Juan Uribe bandwagon right now. He's in love with him.

:hawk

"Mercy. Juan with some NICE hustle down that line."'

"Juan had that base stolen."

What's not to love so far?

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Are we going to see Billy Koch...

I hope not. Please Ozzie. No Koch. I beg you.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Politte can't be pitched in close games with the lack of control he's been showing. Way too many lead-off walks.

Yeah, but he looked amazing blowing Crawford away on all of that gas.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:27 PM
BIG doubleplay. Nice job by Uribe picking it at third.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Are we going to see Billy Koch...

I hope not. Please Ozzie. No Koch. I beg you.

That was my first though. Marte in the 8th probably means Koch in the 9th. I'm having flashbacks to last July.

balboner
04-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Marte only threw like 10 pitches. Keep him in!

Saracen
04-17-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm sure Ozzie will keep Marte in.

hempsox
04-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Harris isn't running???

He should be especially with Fick behind the plate.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 07:37 PM
We need another run if Koch is coming in.

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 07:41 PM
The game ain't Kochproof yet...

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
The game ain't Kochproof yet...

LOL. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a closer like Gagne, Smoltz, Hoffman or Percival? I have to write a paper and need to go to the library, and I would LOVE to leave now. But b/c we have Koch, I now need to stay and watch the bottom of the ninth with a 3 run lead. Sad.

delben91
04-17-2004, 07:55 PM
:winner

just caught the end of the game on cbs.sportsline, looks like a good game for the south siders!!

GO SOX!!

Saracen
04-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Sox win! Nice job by Scho & the bullpen.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Big win!

Nice job by Marte. He's a little frustrating because he gets every batter 0-2 then nibbles the count full. We'll take it.

soxtalker
04-17-2004, 07:57 PM
38 pitches for Marte over 2 innings.

idseer
04-17-2004, 09:39 PM
may i just chime in here with .. 'this is the worst official game thread i've ever read.'

1. no scores

2. bitching about every stinking out.

3. calling oz a tinkerer when he's got 11 games under his belt and has the DUTY to see what ALL his players are capable of this early in the season. it p's me off to see the *'s in here already giving him a label that our previous manager earned over YEARS of mismanaging.

thank you.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by idseer
may i just chime in here with .. 'this is the worst official game thread i've ever read.'

1. no scores

2. bitching about every stinking out.

3. calling oz a tinkerer when he's got 11 games under his belt and has the DUTY to see what ALL his players are capable of this early in the season. it p's me off to see the *'s in here already giving him a label that our previous manager earned over YEARS of mismanaging.

thank you.

That's because all the cool people hang out in Chat and the game day threads suffer. That is by design. Thanks for noticing... :)

Brian26
04-17-2004, 10:00 PM
1. no scores

We're not allowed to give scores per Voodoo's request. We can only do that in the chatroom. Only Voodoo is allowed to have 11,000 posts.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:03 PM
We're not allowed to give scores per Voodoo's request. We can only do that in the chatroom. Only Voodoo is allowed to have 11,000 posts.

Is this going to become an issue?

The reason we ask people to use chat is for financial ones. Subscribe to the site and you might have a point, or sit there and whine and no one will care.

I never said you couldn't post scores. I said update it on the half-inning instead of making every play into a post.

Why do you refuse to try chat, Brian? If you can't get in, why not use a computer based system like gameday or gamecast to follow the game.

This is the wrong way to make your point.

idseer
04-17-2004, 10:11 PM
That's because all the cool people hang out in Chat and the game day threads suffer. That is by design. Thanks for noticing... :)

the official game day thread isn't supposed to contain game updates and scores?

why is it here then?

i agree it shouldn't contain blow by blow descriptions, but if not updates and scores then i don't see any sense to it.

the reason i read this thread is because i can't usually follow the game. it's not on tv and it's not on the radio (where i am). so after the game is over i like to read about it ... but just inning by inning. it gives it a touch of suspense. but a thread like today's was void of all that.
hey ... i know i'm not paying for it so i probably shouldn't complain. i just thought it was worth noting that it's not working like i assume it should be.

inta
04-17-2004, 10:16 PM
per my firewall i cannot get the chat to work for more than 5 seconds.

and honestly, i enjoy reading these gameday threads after the game. there's some very good insight and ideas that often goes on in these threads aside from the "he gone" and "paulie paulie" posts.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:16 PM
the official game day thread isn't supposed to contain game updates and scores?

why is it here then?

i agree it shouldn't contain blow by blow descriptions, but if not uipdates and scores then i don't see any sense to it.

the reason i read this thread is because i can't usually follow the game. it's not on tv and it's not on the radio (where i am). so after the game is over i like to read about it ... but just inning by inning. it gives it a touch of suspense. but a thread like today's was void of all that.
hey ... i know i'm not paying for it so i probably shouldn't complain. i just thought it was worth noting that it's not working like i assume it should be.

Actually, no one is assigned to do game updates. That has always been a function of whoever wants to do it. We label the thread *official* so people won't spam the board with updates in separate threads. None of the mods post much in the gameday threads, and we would prefer to do away with it all together, but we realize it is a necessary evil for people who refuse to do chat or are working.

Currently there are about 5 people refusing to try chat. We are hoping they will give up and come join the party in the chat room and these threads can die forever. Until that time, we keep changing the titles and allowing the stubborn ones to have their thread to muck around in. If the quality of information and posts isn't up to your standard, take it up with them...

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by inta
per my firewall i cannot get the chat to work for more than 5 seconds.

and honestly, i enjoy reading these gameday threads after the game. there's some very good insight and ideas that often goes on in these threads aside from the "he gone" and "paulie paulie" posts.

Okay, so we get 5 quality posts per 100. Not a good ratio and not worth the money it takes to store them or view them.

Sorry, but sometimes we have to make decisions based on the best interests of the site and this is one of them.

idseer
04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Actually, no one is assigned to do game updates. That has always been a function of whoever wants to do it. We label the thread *official* so people won't spam the board with updates in separate threads. None of the mods post much in the gameday threads, and we would prefer to do away with it all together, but we realize it is a necessary evil for people who refuse to do chat or are working.

Currently there are about 5 people refusing to try chat. We are hoping they will give up and come join the party in the chat room and these threads can die forever. Until that time, we keep changing the titles and allowing the stubborn ones to have their thread to muck around in. If the quality of information and posts isn't up to your standard, take it up with them...

i DO see your point ... and in fact my initial post WAS aimed at them. but i know beggars can't be choosers.
chat would be cool if i was here during the actual game, but i'm usually not.

i suppose i can try to find a game log somewhere to accomplish the same thing. hard to do without seeing the final score tho.

Jjav829
04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Is this going to become an issue?

The reason we ask people to use chat is for financial ones. Subscribe to the site and you might have a point, or sit there and whine and no one will care.

I never said you couldn't post scores. I said update it on the half-inning instead of making every play into a post.

Why do you refuse to try chat, Brian? If you can't get in, why not use a computer based system like gameday or gamecast to follow the game.

This is the wrong way to make your point.

Definitely, because if this does become an issue it is going to result in the end of game threads, not us easing up on them.

Maybe I can clarify this a little. We have a chat room for immediate reaction to the game. There are usually a handful of people for every game, and several people who are willing to give play-by-play to those who can't follow the game easily. If I am in there all anyone has to do is ask and I will usually be willing to do play-by-play. The game threads were originally started to have a way to combine all game reaction into one thread rather than have 5 threads with the same things about the game.

For example, here is the purpose of each. You want to comment on the way Schoeneweis is locating his pitches in the current game, or you want to comment of the brilliance of a move Ozzie just made. That's where the game thread comes into play. The game thread is meant for detailed reaction to a play in the game. Simple reaction such as "HR FRANK 2-0 SOX!!," "Uribe steals 2nd base!," or "Nice move Ozzie" is chat room stuff. There is no reason to make a post saying that. Join the chat room and say it there if you must. Now if you wanted to say something detailed such as "That was a great move by Ozzie. The hit and run caused the shortstop to move so that there was a hole at short for Uribe to slap the ball through. We didn't see many things like that under Manuel" that would be more game thread material. Not that you couldn't say that in the chat but that's more of what the game thread is for. Not to say "Timo Perez sucks!!!"

We've been more lax on the game threads during the weekday because people are at work and the game thread may be their only way to follow the game, but during night games or weekend games theres no reason not to use the chat. Everyone should be able to join and if you can't there is a way to fix it either through changing your settings or downloading java components, or something. Anyone who can't join can feel free to post in the questions thread in the Parking Lot and someone may be able to help you fix your problem.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:27 PM
i DO see your point ... and in fact my initial post WAS aimed at them. but i know beggars can't be choosers.
chat would be cool if i was here during the actual game, but i'm usually not.

i suppose i can try to find a game log somewhere to accomplish the same thing. hard to do without seeing the final score tho.

4-1

Does that help? :)

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 10:32 PM
This policy is unfair to people for whom the chat room does not work.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:37 PM
This policy is unfair to people for whom the chat room does not work.

Why doesn't it work? Have you downloaded the virtual machine from Sun systems? It's free.

I don't have a link, but anyone who cannot get in can normally fix the problem with a simple download and a reboot.

Again, the decision is mostly a financial one. More people subscribe to the site, maybe it becomes a non-issue.

We aren't making money off of this place, in fact every mod and admin is out of pocket for the privledge of keeping this place running. You want to help defray the costs, then you have a point until then, I cannot help you...

idseer
04-17-2004, 10:39 PM

4-1

Does that help? :)

no .... but when all is said and done it DOES make the day a little brighter!

:smile:

HomeFish
04-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Why doesn't it work? Have you downloaded the virtual machine from Sun systems? It's free.

It works, it's just really lagged and slow. I type something in (that takes forever; it's unresponsive), I press return, and it doesn't get there for a while.

I'd much prefer something not Java based.

FarWestChicago
04-17-2004, 10:44 PM
It works, it's just really lagged and slow. I type something in (that takes forever; it's unresponsive), I press return, and it doesn't get there for a while.

I'd much prefer something not Java based. There is something wrong with your computer or your ISP. The chat room is very fast. Posts are instant. Java chat rooms are much faster than HTML chat.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:46 PM

I'd much prefer something not Java based.

It can't be slower than this medium, can it? I mean the fastest you ever get a response in this forum is a couple of minutes. How is that better than a few seconds.

SoxFan76
04-17-2004, 10:49 PM
When I use the chat rooms at school on the Macs, it is very slow and unresponsive. But at home, it is lightning fast with no lag whatsoever. The chatroom is not the problem, it's the computer.

Brian26
04-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Well, I didn't mean to whine, so I apologize if you interpreted it that way. I think I've contributed enough to the site over the past couple of years to at least have my voice heard. I agree with everything you say about the threads being loaded with garbage posts, but there are also some very insightful comments made in them. I don't think they should be taken away, especially since they've been perfectly ok since July 2001.

voodoochile
04-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, I didn't mean to whine, so I apologize if you interpreted it that way. I think I've contributed enough to the site over the past couple of years to at least have my voice heard. I agree with everything you say about the threads being loaded with garbage posts, but there are also some very insightful comments made in them. I don't think they should be taken away, especially since they've been perfectly ok since July 2001.

I closed this thread so people won't get confused as to which one to use during today's game.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
There is something wrong with your computer or your ISP. The chat room is very fast. Posts are instant. Java chat rooms are much faster than HTML chat.

I don't know in my experience, java chats are pretty slow. The text always lags behind my typing.

FarWestChicago
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I don't know in my experience, java chats are pretty slow. The text always lags behind my typing. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You don't type live in the chat window. You type on the submission line and it is then posted in it's entirety.