PDA

View Full Version : The Newest Member of White Sox Nation...

LoveTheSox
04-17-2004, 02:20 PM
...is my grandma. Yes, my grandma, who has bled cubbie blue for fifty four years (ever since she married my grandpa and moved to chicago) is now a sox fan.

For years my brothers and I have been trying to convince her that the cubs are the evil empire and it's the white sox who are worth cheering for. She always shook her head and said "I've watched the cubs for so many years..." You see, we are fourth generation sox fans on my dad's side...not my mom's. So anyway, last october she got a little tired of the cubbie lovefest, which prompted her to check out a few sox games this year. She had fun watching them, said the sox are good hitters, but the transformation wasn't complete until today. She called me out of the blue and said she was listening to the score (why? I don't know...you can never tell with my grandma) and heard the radio people bashing the sox and saying only good things about the cubs. She was outraged, and went on a tirade about how the cubs aren't perfect and how the media is biased etc. Spoken like a true Sox fan. It warmed my heart and put a smile on my face.

Anyway, my brother and I are taking my grandparents to tuesday's game against the yankees. I'm so excited because they've never been to a sox game. I hope we win.

Just thought I'd share the happy news...go sox! :D:

Nick@Nite
04-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Be sure to treat your Grandma like the Queen of England.

:)

GO SOX!

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Now that is a great story...

Go Grandma! Go Grandma!

and by the way, Grandma... Welcome Aboard! For you I will even give up my shotgun seat on the bandwagon... :)

SoxFan76
04-17-2004, 02:54 PM
That's an awesome story. If only all Chicago sports fans were as smart as your Grandma.

skobabe8
04-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm glad you succeeded where I have failed! My grandma was stubborn up until her final days, but it was fun talking trash with her about her cubs. Congrats, and welcome aboard!! :smile:

LoveTheSox
04-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
I'm glad you succeeded where I have failed! My grandma was stubborn up until her final days, but it was fun talking trash with her about her cubs. Congrats, and welcome aboard!! :smile:

Thanks! My grandma is pretty fiesty, so her quick switch over has us all pretty surprised. She's been so cute about it though. She watches the games and tries to learn all their names and positions. So far her favorite player is Magglio (although she has a little trouble pronouncing his last name :smile: ), and she already thinks Koch is terrible. She asked me why they let him play...she just fits right in, doesn't she?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-17-2004, 04:09 PM
And the tide is changing my friends

hellenicsoxfan
04-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Great story.
Once you get your grandparents to USCF and they see the beauty of the park and the great baseball on the field, feels the tremendous atmosphere, hears the passion in the fans voices, smells and tastes the great food, then the transformation to Sox fan will be complete and irreversible.

Whitesox029
04-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by LoveTheSox
...is my grandma. Yes, my grandma, who has bled cubbie blue for fifty four years (ever since she married my grandpa and moved to chicago) is now a sox fan.

For years my brothers and I have been trying to convince her that the cubs are the evil empire and it's the white sox who are worth cheering for. She always shook her head and said "I've watched the cubs for so many years..." You see, we are fourth generation sox fans on my dad's side...not my mom's. So anyway, last october she got a little tired of the cubbie lovefest, which prompted her to check out a few sox games this year. She had fun watching them, said the sox are good hitters, but the transformation wasn't complete until today. She called me out of the blue and said she was listening to the score (why? I don't know...you can never tell with my grandma) and heard the radio people bashing the sox and saying only good things about the cubs. She was outraged, and went on a tirade about how the cubs aren't perfect and how the media is biased etc. Spoken like a true Sox fan. It warmed my heart and put a smile on my face.

Anyway, my brother and I are taking my grandparents to tuesday's game against the yankees. I'm so excited because they've never been to a sox game. I hope we win.

Just thought I'd share the happy news...go sox! :D:

That just goes to show that it's never too late to repent. Congratulations on the conversion of your grandmother!

SoxBoy14
04-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Good story, now if we can just get my grandma, who switched to be a cubs fan during the play-offs last year after a lifetime of being a sox fan, to switch back then everything will be back in place.

Whitesox029
04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I wish my Grandma would be a Sox fan, but she isn't a Cubs fan either so I can't complain...she's never been into Baseball.

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
I wish my Grandma would be a Sox fan, but she isn't a Cubs fan either so I can't complain...she's never been into Baseball.

You know from my experience, grammas are into whatever their grandchildren are into. They just want to spend time with you.

I don't know how old you are, so maybe this isn't possible, but if you take the time to teach her about the Sox, I'll bet she will listen. Of course then you will have to spend time learning about something she is into to complete the circle. In the end, you may never have a Sox fan for a gramma, but you may end up closer to her and that is worth it no matter what.

Take it from someone who no longer has any grandparents to bond with, you won't be disappointed...