PDA

View Full Version : Willsy, the SouthTown, and Maggs

CubKilla
04-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Listening to Wills last night, he offered up the following..... if a Maggs contract extension isn't announced in the next week or so, it isn't going to happen until, at the earliest, season's end. JR will thereby have offered Maggs a contract he deems fair and will allow Maggs to, in his own words, "test the waters," of the FA market seeing as the White Sox and Maggs could not agree on a contract that JR deemed fair.

The SouthTown today has a short blurb saying the White Sox and Maggs are very close to inking a deal but that the number of years is the issue holding up a signing by Maggs. Maggs, according to the SouthTown, is looking for 5 years. The White Sox are offering 4 years. A 5th year is being discussed, though the SouthTown doesn't dwell on whether it's an option that will benefit Maggs or the White Sox Organization.

All of which begs the question that if Maggs isn't signed by the end of April, is he as good as gone? Whether or not the Yankees actually sign Maggs, you know they will be in the sweepstakes to get him. You can, IMHO, also add Boston (Nomar is a FA), LA, and SD into the Maggs sweepstakes just for starters. I am of the opinion that if Maggs isn't signed to a new deal by season's end, he gone. It'll be the same crap that Sox fans get shoveled by the Organization with every other Sox player of star-caliber year after year when it comes to contract negotiations/extensions. Maggs will sign with a team that gives him the extra year he's looking for while Sox fans will be fed a steady stream of ads and hype deeming '05 as "the season of Jeremy Reed or Joe Borchard" during the offseason.

Thoughts?

Brian26
04-17-2004, 11:29 AM
It sounds like we've made enough progess this early in the negotiations that we're gonna get this thing done. Think of the Colon situation and how we waited until after the season and went down to the wire with him. I take the fact that we're actually in strong, deep negotiations with Mags right now as nothing but a positive sign, and I believe we are definitely going to sign him. Honestly, if the Sox are willing to put up that much money for 4 years (and I didn't think they would), I have no doubt they will buckle and give him a 5th year too. It's going to happen.

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Also the fact that Maggs has stated his demand for a fifth year, and they are still claiming to be negotiating and close leaves me to be confident. It's not like they are continuing to negotiate whether the fifth year will be included, it's more like how. Both parties understand the scenerio better than us, and if negotiations aren't dead, that leaves room for optimism. If JR said the fifth year was out of the question, than it would be worrisome. However, as of now, that doesn't appear to be the case.

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
It sounds like we've made enough progess this early in the negotiations that we're gonna get this thing done. Think of the Colon situation and how we waited until after the season and went down to the wire with him. I take the fact that we're actually in strong, deep negotiations with Mags right now as nothing but a positive sign, and I believe we are definitely going to sign him. Honestly, if the Sox are willing to put up that much money for 4 years (and I didn't think they would), I have no doubt they will buckle and give him a 5th year too. It's going to happen.

I agree. If the 4/58 offer is true, then they're willing to put up enough money to keep him from testing. No one's gonna give him more than 14.5 per year. He's really pushing being worth that much, but you do it because he's the best all around player we've had in decades and if money's a problem you trim other areas.

I always thought the problem would be his yearly salary, not the term. We're not talking about a pitcher here. We're not even talking about an injury-prone position player. The guy is good at this level til 36 or 37. Our contract should take him through that.

nasox
04-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm excited because we are so close: Weve got four out of five years resolved, 80% done. And if we do sign Maggs, he will go on to be one of the greatest players we've ever had on the South Side, as well as a corner stone for the team for at least half a decade, and a future HOF.

oldcomiskey
04-18-2004, 09:19 AM
lrts doint anoit Magglio as a HOF yet-----remember Griffey Jr

Randar68
04-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
lrts doint anoit Magglio as a HOF yet-----remember Griffey Jr

????????????

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Hangar18
04-18-2004, 03:16 PM
If Reinsdorf Opens up the Wallet, and saves himself from.....well, himself and Signs Maggs, I will Renew my Season Tickets.
Balls in your court Jerry. And no Tricks either. Dont sign the guy to a 60 Million contract, and have it worth 10 10 10 30 in the last year either.............

RedPinStripes
04-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok, where's Lip's post about how Maggs is good as gone and JR is too stupid and cheap to keep him? :smile:

stillz
04-18-2004, 04:16 PM
I'll be impressed and go out of my way to support the club more if they ink an all-star like Maggs. HOF talk may be premature, but no question he's one of the greats in the game. Please get this deal done.

CubKilla
04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Ok, where's Lip's post about how Maggs is good as gone and JR is too stupid and cheap to keep him? :smile:

Maggs ain't signed yet

RedPinStripes
04-18-2004, 05:43 PM
You didnt see the direction i was going with that jab.

rahulsekhar
04-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
And no Tricks either. Dont sign the guy to a 60 Million contract, and have it worth 10 10 10 30 in the last year either.............

Why? If he can sign Maggs to a deal like that, I'd be all for it. More payroll flexibility now, keep the player for a while, and I'd guess that a $30M deal is going to be near impossible to trade.