PDA

View Full Version : Last-night's performance -- lethargic or overmatched

soxtalker
04-17-2004, 09:56 AM
I've seen a number of postings in various threads that imply that the Sox were lethargic last night. In contrast, Ozzie is quoted in many of the newspaper articles today as feeling that the Sox were energetic (not his words) on the bench. So a couple of questions:

First, which is the more accurate appraisal?

Second, if Ozzie is right, the conclusion might simply be that we were overmatched by a pitcher with an excellent breaking ball last night. We've had trouble with such pitchers before. Is this a warning flag, and what is the remedy?

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I think it was mostly a letdown after the high level of excitement with their first 3 opponents and then a day off to travel.

Let's see how they respond today...

RedPinStripes
04-17-2004, 10:12 AM
It's a sign that every mlb team loses games and I'm not worried until they start losing series' consistantly.

Eddie Gaedel
04-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think it was mostly a letdown after the high level of excitement with their first 3 opponents and then a day off to travel.

i agree. i was not surprised by their lackluster performance. the beauty of baseball is that there's always tomorrow...

hellenicsoxfan
04-17-2004, 10:52 AM
This is where we'll see what kind of difference Ozzie will make. In the past, a game like last night would seem to send the team into a long lethargic stretch, and their manager was too relaxed and comfortable to get off his butt and do anything (for example, the 10 game road trip last year against TB, Detroit and Cleveland right before the All-Star break when they should have gone at least 7-3 but a blown save by Koch in the first game sent them into a 3 -7 tailspin). If they start playing lethargically now, Ozzie will start kicking some behinds to get the guys going again.

oheeoh...magglio
04-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Exactly. No need to panic yet, but it should be a cause for concern if they play poorly again tonight.

The Critic
04-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
It's a sign that every mlb team loses games and I'm not worried until they start losing series' consistantly.

HOLY MACKEREL!!
RPS - the voice of REASON?????
:o: :o: :o:
I wonder who's using his screen name? That can't be the same guy I listened to on SnR the past 2 years!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2004, 12:04 PM
It was only one game. This isn't the NFL with just 16 games to the entire schedule. Even the greatest teams in the entire history of baseball will lose 60 games.

If they play like this for a full-month, then you can become concerned.

Like this for example:

:jerry
"Zzzz... zzzz... zzzz..."

Railsplitter
04-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Frank got his single in the wrong inning. Harris should have scored easily from second on a two out single in the first inning. Scoring a run in first inning my not have rattled abbot, but every two out hit gices anotherguy a chance to hit later in the game. I delive it was Roger Moret who first said baseball was governed by one word: youneverknow.

infohawk
04-17-2004, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of any runs or many hits last night. Our hitters seemed a bit impatient to me. I was also left with the impression that they weren't picking up the pitches very well. They hit some balls hard, but were a little quick and pulled them foul.

I was very encouraged by the work of the bullpen. Overall, the final score could have been much worse but for some fortunate defensive plays.

SoxFan76
04-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Take it easy. This is the MLB, not the NFL. As long as the game of baseball exists, there will NEVER be an undefeated team. Sorry. The Sox had to lose sooner or later. Although every loss this year with the exception of one, has been winnable. That's how baseball goes. Hopefully they can come back and play some good baseball today, and win this series.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-17-2004, 03:07 PM
yeah..it's the law of averages. you can't always score a boatload of runs like we did against the royals, you're bound to put up a big fat gooseegg on the board every once in a while.

Dan H
04-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I never like to see the Sox shut out, but I would rather take this than a reliever coming in the ninth and blowing a fairly large lead. A team has off nights. But a contender doesn't squander three and four run leads in the ninth.

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Exactly. No need to panic yet, but it should be a cause for concern if they play poorly again tonight.

I won't be as disappointed if we lose tonight because they got a guy who's 3-0 going and we got Schoeneweis. I'm NOT saying I'm okay with losing two in a row, but if they have good approaches at the plate and get outpitched what can you do.

MRKARNO
04-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Every team is going to have games like this, it was bound to happen to us. The concern is when it becomes a trend

NonetheLoaiza
04-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

It was bound to happen sometime. We were on a pretty torrid offensive pace, so this was going to happen at some point. Now if the next 2 games are similar, we have some problems.