PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of retrospect...


LATruBlue
04-17-2004, 03:45 AM
Well the season has started finally and now looking back in retrospect, we can see if our presumptions were correct or not. Of course being a Dodger fan (McCourt hater) I'm glad to see that your Sox are doing well as we too ......so far.

Anyway, my question is directed mainly toward the fans that felt that Odalis Perez was not much more than another Jamie Navarro. I wonder if you still feel that way about him?

Well, by the time you get up in the morn and scan the sports section, you'll see that OP threw a two-hitter for 8 innings against the Gnats in 3Com park to lower his era to 3.20. 106 total pitches and 70 were for strikes (extremely efficient work). And you guys thought I was just jerking your chain about him.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

soxtalker
04-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by LATruBlue
Well the season has started finally and now looking back in retrospect, we can see if our presumptions were correct or not. Of course being a Dodger fan (McCourt hater) I'm glad to see that your Sox are doing well as we too ......so far.

Anyway, my question is directed mainly toward the fans that felt that Odalis Perez was not much more than another Jamie Navarro. I wonder if you still feel that way about him?

Well, by the time you get up in the morn and scan the sports section, you'll see that OP threw a two-hitter for 8 innings against the Gnats in 3Com park to lower his era to 3.20. 106 total pitches and 70 were for strikes (extremely efficient work). And you guys thought I was just jerking your chain about him.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

I guess that I don't recall that opposition to OP was uniform across the board here. I have noticed, though, that we tend to overvalue some of our players because we know them (with some exceptions -- e.g., Konerko) and generally undervalue players on other teams (with some exceptions) because we don't know them.

Speaking of Konerko. He's been doing well. What's your perspective from LA, since he was rumored to be one of the players that we might send your way. (I always had the impression that was more wishful thinking on our side.)

voodoochile
04-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by LATruBlue
Well the season has started finally and now looking back in retrospect, we can see if our presumptions were correct or not. Of course being a Dodger fan (McCourt hater) I'm glad to see that your Sox are doing well as we too ......so far.

Anyway, my question is directed mainly toward the fans that felt that Odalis Perez was not much more than another Jamie Navarro. I wonder if you still feel that way about him?

Well, by the time you get up in the morn and scan the sports section, you'll see that OP threw a two-hitter for 8 innings against the Gnats in 3Com park to lower his era to 3.20. 106 total pitches and 70 were for strikes (extremely efficient work). And you guys thought I was just jerking your chain about him.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

The guy throws a 2-hitter for 8 innings to lower his ERA to 3.2. What was it before?

Come back in 2 months and ask the same question. This could be a blind squirrel situation for all we can tell now...

StepsInSC
04-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The guy throws a 2-hitter for 8 innings to lower his ERA to 3.2. What was it before?



That was my first thought

I don't remember much opposition in giving up PK for OD, but wasn't Lee's name thrown around a good bit as well? That was the one most of us had problems with, and rightfully so.

Brian26
04-17-2004, 11:32 AM
It's too early in the season to judge any trades that did or didn't happen. As much as Perez would be a nice fit right now in the back end of our rotation, I'm very happy with PK and Mags' performance this year.

MRKARNO
04-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Give me two straight quality starts over a pitcher who blows up one start and pitches lights out the other.

Jjav829
04-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Convenient timing. Where were you posting something about the great Odalis Perez when he was getting knocked around by the Padres to the tune of 4 runs over 5 2/3 innings or even when he gave up 3 runs over 6 against the Rockies? Now that he shutout the dominant Giants offense you decide to post proclaiming his greatness. I haven't changed my opinion on him at all. He's still a mediocre pitcher who has had one good season in his career. One start against one of the worst offenses in the league isn't changing my mind much.

MarqSox
04-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm most impressed that he managed to do it in 3Com Park. Didn't even know they still played baseball there!

batmanZoSo
04-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I guess that I don't recall that opposition to OP was uniform across the board here. I have noticed, though, that we tend to overvalue some of our players because we know them (with some exceptions -- e.g., Konerko) and generally undervalue players on other teams (with some exceptions) because we don't know them.

Speaking of Konerko. He's been doing well. What's your perspective from LA, since he was rumored to be one of the players that we might send your way. (I always had the impression that was more wishful thinking on our side.)

It's more the exact opposite. We overvalue guy on other teams hoping they'll come here and be saviors. We don't know all their little flaws like we do with our guys.

34 Inch Stick
04-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Both Perez and Washburn have done more to confirm that last year's stats are the one's to expect in the future. Meanwhile, Paulie has shown that last year was the anomoly. I think both the Dodgers and Angels will wish they made the trade by August.

gosox41
04-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Both Perez and Washburn have done more to confirm that last year's stats are the one's to expect in the future. Meanwhile, Paulie has shown that last year was the anomoly. I think both the Dodgers and Angels will wish they made the trade by August.

I hope we trade PK to one of them then. As someone pointed out earlier, PK hasn't hit right handers nearly as well as left handers. I beleive PK had something like a .650 OPS against righties. Not good. Even though the Central has a decent amount of lefty starters, PK is basically a platoon player.

I hope he is traded soon.


Bob