PDA

View Full Version : If not Danny, then Who?

munchman33
04-16-2004, 08:14 PM
OMG I've had about enough of Danny Wrong already. My question is this: Who is available for trade? It's still early, so no real names are really out there. Do we give Cotts a chance, or call up Rauch? Any ideas?

santo=dorf
04-16-2004, 08:16 PM
If you call up Rauch you'll have to send someone down. Don't forget Kelly is on the DL and we don't have many options on Rauch if he doesn't work out. Give it to Cotts.

MRKARNO
04-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Cotts, Rauch, Diaz, Grilli...

There's tons of perfectly good options. Wright pitched himself into the 5th spot this year. So certainly he can pitch his way out of it

munchman33
04-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
If you call up Rauch you'll have to send someone down. Don't forget Kelly is on the DL and we don't have many options on Rauch if he doesn't work out. Give it to Cotts.

They could release Danny.

A. Cavatica
04-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Judging from his first two starts Diaz is the guy.

SoxxoS
04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Send Wright down if it's that big of a deal. Or trade his ass for some flaming poo.

jeremyb1
04-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I believe Wright is out of options and even if he's not I'd still rather see him in the pen than in Charlotte. I'd be most happy to go with Adkins or Diaz and I'd send Adkins down.

SEALgep
04-16-2004, 08:57 PM
I would say between Diaz and Grilli. I wouldn't have any complaints if it were either.

SEALgep
04-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Send Wright down if it's that big of a deal. Or trade his ass for some flaming poo. Flaming poo, we might have to throw in someone else to make that swap happen. :D:

SEALgep
04-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would say between Diaz and Grilli. I wouldn't have any complaints if it were either. Oh ya, if it were me, I would send down Wright and see if he has any potential as a closer. Remember, Gagne was a failed starter. Not predicting, just saying it's possible. Send him down and work with him on it. Like I said, if it were me.

A.T. Money
04-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Eric Gagne was a crappy starter. Something to consider....

A.T. Money
04-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh ya, if it were me, I would send down Wright and see if he has any potential as a closer. Remember, Gagne was a failed starter. Not predicting, just saying it's possible. Send him down and work with him on it. Like I said, if it were me.

Looks like we're on the same page.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money

so was scott ruffcorn...

Lip Man 1
04-16-2004, 10:36 PM
None of those names listed above give my heart palpitations.

But this rotation would.....

Colon
Loazia
Buehrle
Garland
Schowenweis

Oh well, I guess it's back to more tryouts for the 5th starter spot. (Like we haven't heard that one before...)

You can never have to much pitching....so why bother (with respect to Torn Labrum)

Lip

RedPinStripes
04-16-2004, 10:36 PM
If someone is going to get roughed up this year at the 5 spot, i'd rather be it someone who has potential to be a good pitcher who is in out farm system, Cotts, Grilli, Rauch, Stewart.

SoxxoS
04-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money

A.T.-

Please tell me that you weren't inferring that Wright could be as good as Gagne in a closer role. Please.

I think Wright is missing...oh I don't know...that 97 mph heater that moves, a hook that is unhittable and a changeup that dissapears...oh yeah, and Gagne walks NOBODY.

Other than that, they are like twins.

lowesox
04-16-2004, 11:03 PM
I understand the reason for panic, and many of you have made really good points, but I think this team's best interest is to be patient. Why? Well, because I think Shoenweiss may be even more likely to implode than WRight. And while I wouldn't mind having a Cotts or a Diaz or a Grilli or a Rauch in our rotation, I sure as hell wouldn't want two of them. Lets find out whose worse between Wright and Shoe before we make any 'upgrades'.

The real problem guys, is that our GM didn't cover his basis. No playoff-caliber team should start the season with as many questionmarks in the rotation (not to mention the lineup, although those haven't been as glaring thus far). There's really no roster flexibility, which is sad because Wright would really up his value in the bullpen. He's been good there before lets not forget. Instead, we're wasting roster spots with guys like Takatsu and Shoenweiss.

Hopefully, a little patience will sort out a mess Kenny got us into.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Lowesox says: "Hopefully, a little patience will sort out a mess Kenny got us into."

Actually a little more money has a tendency to cover your mistakes.

Lip

RedPinStripes
04-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Lowesox says: "Hopefully, a little patience will sort out a mess Kenny got us into."

Actually a little more money has a tendency to cover your mistakes.

Lip

Not always. Paul Konerko, Koch, David Wells, Jamie Navorraow ect. More monry dont always do good if you dont know how to spend it.

JaylisJP
04-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Wright just can't handle being a starting pitcher... he gets behind so much it doesn't matter about confidence or throwing good pitches after that. He can't avoid digging himself in a hole every time. He's a Koch in starter's clothing.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2004, 12:08 AM
My point was that if the Sox spend some more money they may be able to correct the problem in the back end of the rotation.

If not, it's going to cost us like in 1996 and 2003 just to name two seasons.

Lip

CubKilla
04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Flaming poo, we might have to throw in someone else to make that swap happen. :D:

How about Botch?

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If someone is going to get roughed up this year at the 5 spot, i'd rather be it someone who has potential to be a good pitcher who is in out farm system, Cotts, Grilli, Rauch, Stewart. Diaz

SSN721
04-17-2004, 10:20 AM
I would rather keep Wright in the pen, he already shown a great ability last year to go in there for long releif. I would rather not send anyone down, I have been impressed with Cotts thus far and wouldnt mind seeing him get another chance. I like Diaz too so if we had to take him I would send down Adkins. But I would still rather see Cotts get the nod to see ifhe can pull it together as a starter. But I also agree with the earlier post that we should wait and see with The Big Show too, I want to see him pitch a few more times to see who is more likely to implode.

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 11:44 AM
A.T.-

Please tell me that you weren't inferring that Wright could be as good as Gagne in a closer role. Please.

I think Wright is missing...oh I don't know...that 97 mph heater that moves, a hook that is unhittable and a changeup that dissapears...oh yeah, and Gagne walks NOBODY.

Other than that, they are like twins. You think Gane was throwing 97 with movement as a starter. He wouldn't have failed if that were the case. When you focus your training regiment to be a closer, there will be less endurance focus and more power. Wright could easily throw 97 with movement if he were taught to, especially if he were to only have to do so for one inning. He's got a pretty sharp curve ball as well, and I think he could perform in that role. He tends to walk guys, which obviously isn't good, but that tends to happen later throughout the game.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 01:22 PM
You think Gane was throwing 97 with movement as a starter. He wouldn't have failed if that were the case. When you focus your training regiment to be a closer, there will be less endurance focus and more power. Wright could easily throw 97 with movement if he were taught to, especially if he were to only have to do so for one inning. He's got a pretty sharp curve ball as well, and I think he could perform in that role. He tends to walk guys, which obviously isn't good, but that tends to happen later throughout the game.

No way.
First, I have never seen Danny Wrong hit 97 on the gun. That figure was in the scouting reports, but he barely reaches 94. He pitched in the bullpen last year, and he was pitching with the same velocity he did now.
He doesn't have the curveball Gagne does. It's OK, but he can't get it over for strikes. It doesn't break like Gagne's.
He is missing that third pitch and Gagne's equalizer, the change. Gagne's is basically a change with the movement of a split-finger.

Also, Danny Wright did not have Gagne's minor league numbers across the board, including K/9 (Gagne's was 10.2). So that meant Gagne's stuff was filthy.

So basically, Danny is a two pitch pitcher with average two pitches, with no control.

You just can't compare the NL Cy Young award winner to Danny Wright. You just can't do it.

Realist
04-17-2004, 02:02 PM
If we scored 4 runs in the top of the 3rd last nite, there's a pretty good chance Wright would have gotten a win and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Realist
If we scored 4 runs in the top of the 3rd last nite, there's a pretty good chance Wright would have gotten a win and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Don't think that's true. If Wright would have went 6 innings given up 3 runs, then we wouldn't have been having this discussion.

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 02:25 PM
No way.
First, I have never seen Danny Wrong hit 97 on the gun. That figure was in the scouting reports, but he barely reaches 94. He pitched in the bullpen last year, and he was pitching with the same velocity he did now.
He doesn't have the curveball Gagne does. It's OK, but he can't get it over for strikes. It doesn't break like Gagne's.
He is missing that third pitch and Gagne's equalizer, the change. Gagne's is basically a change with the movement of a split-finger.

Also, Danny Wright did not have Gagne's minor league numbers across the board, including K/9 (Gagne's was 10.2). So that meant Gagne's stuff was filthy.

So basically, Danny is a two pitch pitcher with average two pitches, with no control.

You just can't compare the NL Cy Young award winner to Danny Wright. You just can't do it. First of all, last year he was a long reliever, which requires pretty much the same kind of training as a starter, which not to mention he started off as. Also, he wasn't healthy last year. There is no reason to believe he couldn't hit 97 if he trained to do so. I didn't say he was going to be Gagne, I said he might be able to close if he trained for it. The only comparisons I made with him and Gagne was that they would both be considered failed starters turned closers. Wright does have control, he loses it as the game goes. Wright has good stuff, but the question is whether it is starter stuff or reliever stuff. I believe if he trained to be a closer, he would be a different pitcher.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 02:39 PM
First of all, last year he was a long reliever, which requires pretty much the same kind of training as a starter, which not to mention he started off as. Also, he wasn't healthy last year. There is no reason to believe he couldn't hit 97 if he trained to do so. I didn't say he was going to be Gagne, I said he might be able to close if he trained for it. The only comparisons I made with him and Gagne was that they would both be considered failed starters turned closers. Wright does have control, he loses it as the game goes. Wright has good stuff, but the question is whether it is starter stuff or reliever stuff. I believe if he trained to be a closer, he would be a different pitcher.

I think you are under the false assumption that if Danny Wright would switch from starting to long relieving, he would change into a totally different pitcher.
He is not going to gain 3-4 mph on his fastball. I have never seen Danny Wright hit 97 on the gun, and I have been watching him since his first start against Tampa Bay in 2000.
As long as you aren't comparing him to Gagne, I don't really have an arguement. I also believe he could be more effective as a 1 inning reliever, but not much more.
There are a lot of pitchers that haven't made it with good stuff...it's b/c they are mentally weak and don't trust their stuff.
Plus, Danny Wright doesn't have THAT good of stuff to begin with, and he can't get it over the plate.
So, all in all, you have a guy that should at least be tried in the bullpen, b/c he isn't a MLB starter.

SEALgep
04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
I think you are under the false assumption that if Danny Wright would switch from starting to long relieving, he would change into a totally different pitcher.
He is not going to gain 3-4 mph on his fastball. I have never seen Danny Wright hit 97 on the gun, and I have been watching him since his first start against Tampa Bay in 2000.
As long as you aren't comparing him to Gagne, I don't really have an arguement. I also believe he could be more effective as a 1 inning reliever, but not much more.
There are a lot of pitchers that haven't made it with good stuff...it's b/c they are mentally weak and don't trust their stuff.
Plus, Danny Wright doesn't have THAT good of stuff to begin with, and he can't get it over the plate.
So, all in all, you have a guy that should at least be tried in the bullpen, b/c he isn't a MLB starter. I am not saying that he was a different pitcher from starter to long relief, in fact I said the opposite. I'm saying he can definitely become a different pitcher from starter to closer, and with that he could add to his speed. I think he has good stuff. He has a pretty good curve ball, especially early on, which helps lead to optimism when talking about short relief. That with the extra speed on his fastball with a decent change could translate into closer stuff. I'm not saying it's a lock, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility this early.

SoxxoS
04-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I am not saying that he was a different pitcher from starter to long relief, in fact I said the opposite. I'm saying he can definitely become a different pitcher from starter to closer, and with that he could add to his speed. I think he has good stuff. He has a pretty good curve ball, especially early on, which helps lead to optimism when talking about short relief. That with the extra speed on his fastball with a decent change could translate into closer stuff. I'm not saying it's a lock, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility this early.

Guess well have to wait and see. I just wouldn't get your hopes up b/c you most likely will be settling for disaster. :D: