PDA

View Full Version : God Dam* Moronotti...

inta
04-16-2004, 05:31 AM
this guy has a way of pissing us off with his ignorance and yet announcing what we've all been saying for awhile now.

regardless. he finaly acknowledged a southside existance with this bandwagoning piece.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay16.html

he is right. JR is a freakin turd, and magglio needs to be resigned no matter what the cost (which isnt much more than what he's getting this year)

anyway. this is a feel good year so far. let this fat gloomy cloud of a journalist brood all he wants. in my opinion he's only stating the obvious. if KW and JR let maggs go... this teams going to lose far more season ticket holders than they did this past offseason.

SSN721
04-16-2004, 05:56 AM
I disagree with him as much as I agree with him, but I do have to say that his article is pretty much right on target this time. He reflects exactly the way I feel about this topic. I obviously am not going to stop being a Sox fan if they dont keep him, but it will certainly be less encouraging to go out to a ballpark and see an ever weakening team. I still think that we should get him for at least 4 more years (if not the rest of his career), I think we can always find a place for Reed somewhere if we keep him.

habibharu
04-16-2004, 09:45 AM
i hate to say it but i agree with him

WinningUgly!
04-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Certainly, Maggs is worthy of such a deal. Only 30, his production is automatic, his durability unquestioned and his attitude superb.

The day after the Sox sign Maggs, Mariotti will write...

"Certainly, Ordonez is not worthy of this Sammy sized contract. He's on the wrong side of 30, his production will surely drop off now that he has a big money - long term deal, he is long overdue for an injury and is too quiet & emotionless."

JDP
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Mariotti is still completely one-tracked when it comes to Chicago baseball. I accidentally listened to him for a few seconds on MVP yesterday and he was going over the Bears schedule w/ the new offensive coordinator. Here's what I stumbled across:

"..and that's who they play in October -- when the Cubs are in the playoffs."

Bah

mantis1212
04-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
i hate to say it but i agree with him

That's because he states the obvious without offering any new insight. Throw plenty of negativity around it, and you have yourself a cookie-cutter moronatti article.
Quote: "Fact is, they aren't even close to a deal" was said here, just more negative spin when Maggs said himself they are close.

batmanZoSo
04-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I disagree with him as much as I agree with him, but I do have to say that his article is pretty much right on target this time. He reflects exactly the way I feel about this topic. I obviously am not going to stop being a Sox fan if they dont keep him, but it will certainly be less encouraging to go out to a ballpark and see an ever weakening team. I still think that we should get him for at least 4 more years (if not the rest of his career), I think we can always find a place for Reed somewhere if we keep him.

Center field's pretty much open for the taking and if it comes down to it you get rid of Lee, not Maggs.

NonetheLoaiza
04-16-2004, 01:26 PM
You know what would be really cool? If Maggs and JR reached an agreement and did the signing spontaneously in front of everyone before a big White Sox game. I think it would do two things for Sox fans:

1) give them optimism for the future
2) show that JR actually does care (whether he does or not, at least he is appearing he cares about the team)

I think it would be a pretty amazing moment for the cornerstone of your team to sign a multi-year deal in front of the hometown fans.

Foulke You
04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Here are some great gems from today's Moronotti article:

"And the fans? There weren't many of them Thursday at the Ballmall Formerly Known As Comiskey"

"Otherwise, my face will turn bluer than an empty upper-deck seat."

It just wouldn't be a Moronotti article without his backhanded digs against the Sox in there.

:moron
"In a perfect world, I would only have to write about the Cubs"

SoxFan76
04-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Here's what I say. Get rid of Lee, who I really do like, but he is expendable, get rid of Borchard, who I hate with a passion because I've never seen him do anything productive, free up some salary, maybe get a middle infielder and pitching. Bring up Reed, put him in center, move Rowand to left, resign Maggs in right. If Rowand proves he can't hang in the big leagues, there are plenty more OF prospects in the Sox farm system, which is why I suggest letting Carlos go if necessary. Carlos is taking up a nice chunk of salary if I'm not mistaken, and the Sox have guys that can potentially fill his role. We sign Maggs, Reed is in the majors, everyone's happy. But then again, when was the last time a Sox fan was happy...