PDA

View Full Version : Koch

OurBitchinMinny
04-16-2004, 02:41 AM
Im as nervous as anybody when this guy comes in, but I think we should ease up on him a little. Maybe he shouldnt close, but I think he can still be an asset to the team. Beltran is a hell of a hitter and koch made a decent pitch on him. I actually felt bad for him as he walked off the field. At least the guy is standup with the press. How many guys would be making excuses? IMO he got squeezed a few times. I know a lot of you will think im nuts and I dont want him in a 1 run game, but lets cut him some slack. I just wish he cut that crap off his chin. Maybe that would help him a little.

SoxxoS
04-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Im as nervous as anybody when this guy comes in, but I think we should ease up on him a little. Maybe he shouldnt close, but I think he can still be an asset to the team. Beltran is a hell of a hitter and koch made a decent pitch on him. I actually felt bad for him as he walked off the field. At least the guy is standup with the press. How many guys would be making excuses? IMO he got squeezed a few times. I know a lot of you will think im nuts and I dont want him in a 1 run game, but lets cut him some slack. I just wish he cut that crap off his chin. Maybe that would help him a little.

He does make excuses! There should be no easing up on him b/c he is standup with the media. He is a millionaire that has 1 job to do...to get 3 outs...and he screws that up routinely. Get out.

OurBitchinMinny
04-16-2004, 03:33 AM
my bad

OurBitchinMinny
04-16-2004, 03:34 AM
Im not saying he should still close. All closers are gonna blow some. He didnt blow the first game, marte did. He could still be used out of the pen. Hes better than shingo. That guy is the worst pitcher I have ever seen. It was one game. Give him a chance in some other facet. Ozzie is going to give him another chance in the closers role. Not sure I agree with that, but we will see

Nard
04-16-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Hes better than shingo. That guy is the worst pitcher I have ever seen. It was one game. Give him a chance in some other facet.

Shingo was "one game" too. Does he get another chance?

White_Sock
04-16-2004, 04:46 AM

I should hope that Koch gets a little more respect that Shingo "the little league all-star" Takatsu gets. Man, I think Koch is scary, but when I saw Shingo in the bullpen today, I almost kicked my tv in faith of a sure loss. Koch just needs to stop throwing so many meatball strikes; and he needs to start making the hitters chase his stuff a little. Shingo "the batting cage" Takatsu on the other hand needs to avoid the mound at all costs. His pitches are rediculous; he fools the batter with his "craaaazy" delivery for one pitch and then it's batting practice. Not even Koch should be compared to ****go... I mean Shingo IMO.

Nard
04-16-2004, 05:05 AM
We're talking about the all-time saves leader here.

Japanese batters can't be that bad, that inferior to major leaguers, can they?

humansushi
04-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Just b/c Shingo doesn't throw with speed, he automatically sucks?
His conrtrol is amazing. I would rather see a 90mph fastball hit its spot than a 93-96mph fastball thrown down the pipe. Bottomline is that Shingo hits his spots and changes speeds well with great movement. He'll do well when given the opportunities.

Jurr
04-16-2004, 06:26 AM
I don't think Shingo is that great a pitcher, and I'll tell you why. He does hit his spots. Given. The knock on Shingo is that he is very easy to adjust to. Even in Spring training, hitters found that once you see a few of his pitches, it's easy to turn on that little screwball he throws. Every time he stepped on the mound, he'd get one guy out, then if a guy laid off a couple pitches, he'd be able to time the next one and groove it. The only way I could see Shingo being effective is if he was following a fireballer (who we don't have)....that way, hitters are used to a certain timing mechanism for the fastball, and they're not going to be able to handle Shingo's pitches. I haven't been impressed by his stuff, and the Sox would have him in Charlotte if it wasn't for the big deal that was made about acquiring him. KW doesn't want to give up on him that easy and admit defeat. There's a reason he wasn't brought to a team before, and we've found it.

starboy0
04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
The problem with Koch is that everybody knows exactly what's coming. With a 98 mph fastball you can get away with that but he doesn't throw there anymore. There is absolutely no movement on his balls either. He's not keeping the hitters off balanced. Wish he had a nasty changeup!

OurBitchinMinny
04-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Nard

Shingo was awful during ST too, but maybe he deserves more chances too. Wed be better off with Koch though, that I m sure of. Neither looks too good now. Shingo would be better off at AAA, adjusting to the game and working on his pitches. AAA is probably similar to the japanese leagues.

lowesox
04-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Koch had a pretty solid spring. And while he hasn't been great this year, he did have an ERA of 2.70 coming into the game he blew. So he hasn't been that awful either. I do, however think, that the closer's role should go to somebody the team can be confident in. Right now, I'm not sure who that would be. None of our 'Closer Material' guys have been that guy. So I'd say give Billy one more shot.

As for Takatsu, all he's done is get spanked around by major leaguers and minor leaguers alike. AAA for him. Let's get Grilli up here.

RKMeibalane
04-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Let's see if anything happens this weekend with Koch returning to the "scene of the crime." By that, I mean that he is coming back to the site of last season's implosion when he cost the Sox a crucial game on the fourth of July. People were furious with him. One person even suggested chasing him through the streets.