PDA

View Full Version : Clutch hitting

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 11:54 PM
I was watching the Angels broadcast on mlb.tv and it said that the sox were batting .361 with 2 outs and RISP. Almost inevitably this will deteriorate and that is pretty important considering we've played 4 1-run games and are 3-1 in those games. As this stat declines, will the sox' ability to win go with it?

dpbyron
04-16-2004, 12:02 AM
C'mon, why are so many people on here NEGATIVE! Sure we have some weak spots, but like I ask my &@^%ing boss everyday.... Why always dwell on the negatives? Focus on the positives and work on your weaknesses. The only major problem we have right now is Billy Kroch. Lets focus on the fact that clutch hitting is GOOD and setting a great tone for the start of the seaon, not "Almost inevitably this will deteriorate and that is pretty important considering we've played 4 1-run games and are 3-1 in those games. As this stat declines, will the sox' ability to win go with it?"

Just a thought.

batmanZoSo
04-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I was watching the Angels broadcast on mlb.tv and it said that the sox were batting .361 with 2 outs and RISP. Almost inevitably this will deteriorate and that is pretty important considering we've played 4 1-run games and are 3-1 in those games. As this stat declines, will the sox' ability to win go with it?

.750 in one run games = winner. That's the most important angle. The 2000 Sox won one run games and led the league with BA w/2O&RISP

nodiggity59
04-16-2004, 12:37 AM
My head says yes, they will drop off.

My heart says no!

I think this team has so much talent that if they take care of business they'll win 88-90 games and this wimpy division.

Book IT!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-16-2004, 01:26 AM
The clutch shall continue. So be it

SSN721
04-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
The clutch shall continue. So be it

I truly hope so.

Iguana775
04-16-2004, 08:43 AM
In this very weak division, the sox could come close to 95 wins if they keep playing clutch ball. i am sure the pitching will only get better.

daveeym
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
This staff will look like studs if the hitters keep bailing em out and they keep winning, the confidence pitchers get from run support makes each pitcher perform better than they may actually be capable of performing.

minastirith67
04-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Too many negative threads to a great start to the season. I can only hope that the excellent clutch hitting continues and we win the close games. Especially if we're still in it by August-September with the playoffs on the horizon.

batmanZoSo
04-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
Too many negative threads to a great start to the season. I can only hope that the excellent clutch hitting continues and we win the close games. Especially if we're still in it by August-September with the playoffs on the horizon.

That's how it is...when we're losing we just wish we were respectable...and when we're in first, we start thinking world series and start pining over all our weaknesses.

MRKARNO
04-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I still think that this team WILL hit well in the clutch, but the fact is that a .361 avg with 2 outs and RISP is unsustainable. It's almost impossible. It will fall off a bit, but I think a .260-.280 range is more sustainable. (It's actually .342 after yesterday's game, which is much more realistic).

The .358 with RISP is a lot closer to what we can sustain. Our huge problem last year was leaving RISP. If we can get those runners in a lot more often, we'll do very well this year.

Oh yeah, the Sox are hitting 1.000 with bases loaded (3 for 3) :)

jeremyb1
04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

The pen should improve to compensate for some but probably not all of that.