PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight Giving Maggs some Respect!

gogosoxgogo
04-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this, but Tim Kurkjian and the guy with the curly long hair (I forget his name) were really giving Maggs some props on Baseball Tonight. Kurkjian called Maggs the second best RF in baseball behind Vlad and the other guy said he was the best OF in the AL Central. They had a nice little piece about him complimenting his power, avg hitting, speed, and defense. They were really impressed with how he started the season. I was really surprised to see the Sox getting some coverage on the Eastern Sports Programming Network. Made me feel good. :D:

Brian26
04-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Jeff Brantley's 1993 hairdo has GOT to go.

SEALgep
04-15-2004, 10:41 PM
It was nice to see. We have to extend him.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Well if Maggs can put up a year like 2002 again, we'll be in real good shape.

OurBitchinMinny
04-15-2004, 10:45 PM
According to ESPN they are one year apart. One damn year. He wants 5, sox want 4. Give him the extra year!!!!!!!!!I swear of he goes JR will destroy what is left of the fanbase

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
According to ESPN they are one year apart. One damn year. He wants 5, sox want 4. Give him the extra year!!!!!!!!!I swear of he goes JR will destroy what is left of the fanbase

It was mentioned somewhere here that many people feel that keeping Maggs 5 more years will not bring additional people to the ballpark, but if we let him go, what effect would that have? Probably for the worse

MJL_Sox_Fan
04-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Ok, let me play devil's advocate for a moment and think like JR. If I sign Maggs for 5 years I probably won't increase attendance, but if I hold out for 4 and lose Maggs to FA my fanbase can't get any smaller. So I can save the money and really not lose any revenue. It is an easy choice.

Addtionally, 1 year is what 15 million. I need to get 1 million more fans in the stadium each year at $15 bucks per fan net. (that is very conservative since the average ticket is something like $22 and it assumes that a fan only spends $8 additional money at the park and his marginal cost of these fans is about $15. Let's use 50% as the marginal fixed cost ratio.) I know that I have to have a legitimate world series contender to get 2.9 million in attendence, so is it likely that the incremental $15 million will cover itself, no.

Ok, as a fan I reply to JR, the devil's advocate. Just sign him so that you can bridge some of the gap of ill will you have created between yourself and your fans. It is the price of your mistakes over the years.

chisox56
04-15-2004, 11:39 PM
to bad they dont know how to pronounce marte and not call him marty.

South Side
04-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Does JR take phone calls? This man needs to know what the people want! Give the people what they want... MAGGS!

hellenicsoxfan
04-16-2004, 01:13 AM
I saw that report and it was nice to see a Sox player getting respect. However, the pessimistic part of me could only hear the clock ticking away on the opportunity to sign Maggs to a multi-year deal. The Sox need to get off their rear ends, give Maggs his 5th year and sign him NOW. The longer they twiddle their thumbs, the higher the price will go.

springrovesoxfan
04-16-2004, 01:53 AM
Its about tim eMaggs started getting the recognizion he deserves.Hopefully people around the country will start to pay attention to his numbers and what he brings to the table each year and vote him on to the allstar team.

As for JR, I have come to believe that if it is the worst and/or stupidist thing possible to do, he will do it. He just doesn't seem to care what he does to the fan base of this wonderful team. For some one who says, he wants to win it all, hhe sure has a strange way of showing it.

Jurr
04-16-2004, 03:56 AM
Yeah..I don't see the big deal in adding another year. It ends up going two ways....one, you have a great team for 5 years, revenue increases, and you're able to handle having him on board. Scenario two has us sucking in two or three years, and he's then traded in a cost cutting move. I don't see the big deal.

SSN721
04-16-2004, 06:44 AM
I cant imagine the justification of not being able to sign him when the only discrepancy between Maggs and management is one freakin year. This is ridiculous, just sign him and lets move on. We have outfield talent in the minors yes, but Maggs is proven, paying him also shows a willingness by management to stick by their good players and hold on to them. I think this could pay many dividends in the future when trying to acquire free agents or keeping players that are about to go into free agency.

SoxOnTop
04-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Any chance that the Garret Anderson deal (4 years $48 Mil) will keep his per year salary around 12-13 mil?

I've got to think that 5 years at 12 mil is a steal.

3rdgensoxfan
04-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Frank is in the twilight of his career. Imagine, for a moment, a team in two years that does not feature either Maggs or Thomas. It's a sobering thought, to say the least.

Dadawg_77
04-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Insurance would be one reason the Sox would four years instead of five. The Sox would insure themselves in case Mags was unable to perform out his guarantee contract. Either way this still way off from becoming a major impasse as it is still early. Sit back and watch games, Mags most likely will be resigned.

SEALgep
04-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Any chance that the Garret Anderson deal (4 years $48 Mil) will keep his per year salary around 12-13 mil?

I've got to think that 5 years at 12 mil is a steal. I personally think that is the delay. After this talk, I find it hard to believe that either side would let the deal fall apart over a year. I think they are discussing, "Well if you want the fifth year, we're going to have to sign a deal for 12 million a year instead of 14 million" kind of thing. It's probably just being fine tuned in that sense. Either way, I think the Sox will bite in order to make it happen.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Seal:

That one year costs the Sox Colon didn't it? (or to be more accurate after the Angels offered more real money without deferments it helped seal the deal...)

Lip

SEALgep
04-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Seal:

That one year costs the Sox Colon didn't it? (or to be more accurate after the Angels offered more real money without deferments it helped seal the deal...)

Lip A right fielder and an overweight pitcher are more than a slight difference. You obviously realize the difference in risk with arm injuries and such with pitchers. That is the whole reasoning behind not offering pitchers beyond three years. The Angels realize that too, yet they also understood that was the only way they were going to get him. It is very much a different scenerio.

owensmouth
04-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Ultimately, Magglio will get paid exactly what he wants, if not by the White Sox, then by somebody else. If the White Sox management doesn't want to shell out 70 million dollars, there are others who will.

What teams would be willing to add 14 million per year for five years to their budget to add Magglio? The Cubs, the Dodgers, the Padres (maybe). the Mets, the Phillies, the Orioles , the other Sox (maybe), the Yankees (maybe), the Rangers (maybe) and even the Tigers are the teams that come to mind.

One thing that is going to hurt the White Sox management effort to keep the price down is that Maggs is now batting in front of Frank. Every hitter that bats ahead of the Big Hurt raises his overall production.

Maggs has JR over a barrell. He's going to get the time and the money, the only question is from whom.

bafiarocks03
04-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I was like in shock when they kept talking about Maggs and the sox!! i was like Whoa! but they kept comparing him to Berroa! and maggs is better then him!! GO MAGGS!!!

soxnut
04-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bafiarocks03
I was like in shock when they kept talking about Maggs and the sox!! i was like Whoa! but they kept comparing him to Berroa! and maggs is better then him!! GO MAGGS!!!

This is typical ESPN. They never mention Sox players, until they are in the final year of their contract, and then tell everyone how great they are. The did the same thing with Robin, the same thing with Alvarez, the same thing with Fernandez....It's funny how our guys never get recognition unless some team from the east has a shot at getting them. :(:

bafiarocks03
04-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Very well put Soxnut!! Very Well put!! lol

soxnut
04-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by bafiarocks03
Very well put Soxnut!! Very Well put!! lol

Thank you.

bafiarocks03
04-17-2004, 11:07 AM
hahhahha!!