MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Right now the rest of the month looks like this (actually May 2nd

3 game set @ DRays
3 game set vs Yanks
3 game set vs DRays
2 games vs Indians
4 Games vs Toronto

This is about as good as it gets for this month. I know the 3 with the Yanks at home aint great, but if I ever wanted to see the Yanks, this is the time I'd want to see them. We've got 6 games with the DRays, who started well, but have only mediocre talent. They shouldnt be too much of a problem. Then we've got 2 games against cleveland, of which we could easily take both and a 4 game set against the mostly unimpressive Jays (except when they've got Halladay going on the mound).

Good things ahead?

beckett21
04-15-2004, 09:27 PM
It will be interesting to see how we do against proverbial *lesser* competition. I wouldn't shake off the D-Rays and the Blue Jays quite that easily, either. Those guys can give us fits. Piniella has the Rays respectable, and Toronto is due to erupt. Anything can happen with Cleveland.

We should do well. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. That was the problem last year, looking beyond inferior teams. This will be a good test IMO.

iwannago
04-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Don't take any team lightly. Remember our record against Detriot last year.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree with what Beckett said. It'll be interesting to see how the back end of our rotation does against an improved Tampa Bay offense this weekend. The Rays have a lot more experienced depth to throw at a team especially in the later innings.

Lip

JohnBasedowYoda
04-16-2004, 01:39 AM
winning streak. total streak. i'm talking let's go streakin through the quad! we are gonna light it up

batmanZoSo
04-16-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
It will be interesting to see how we do against proverbial *lesser* competition. I wouldn't shake off the D-Rays and the Blue Jays quite that easily, either. Those guys can give us fits. Piniella has the Rays respectable, and Toronto is due to erupt. Anything can happen with Cleveland.

We should do well. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. That was the problem last year, looking beyond inferior teams. This will be a good test IMO.

Ozzie watched this team last year. He knows what they did wrong, you can tell by his quotes. He also knows about losing to crappy teams and I doubt he'll let them go in not fired up.

Jurr
04-16-2004, 07:46 AM
If we can come out of April 6 or 7 games over .500, we're right where we want to be. It's totally doable. If Frank and Crede get going in the order, we're really going to be onto something. I hope Danny Wright can get us started off nicely against Tampa Bay. Abbott isn't the greatest pitcher, but I guarantee he won't give up more than 4 or 5 runs.

starboy0
04-16-2004, 08:00 AM
To tell you the truth I don't get too hyped anymore when we have a string of games against "lesser" teams. Any given day you can get beat by any given team. Last year for example we did pretty well against the Yankees but let Detroit beat us too many times.

Was it '67 when we just had to win a couple against Wash. and KC (both very weak at the time) to clinch and we lost all of them?

SSN721
04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
I honestly think this is a greater test then the series we have had so far against the Royals and Yankees. We knew both of these teams were good, and the Sox played to thier level. To be sure that there has been a shift in attitude I want to see how this team performs against teams that arent supposed to be good since that is where we have usually fallen short in the past. I am hoping for 6-8 games over .500 after this month, hopefully more.

davenicholson
04-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by starboy0

Was it '67 when we just had to win a couple against Wash. and KC (both very weak at the time) to clinch and we lost all of them?
Starboy,

Geeze, I wish you hadn't brought that up! *Tears of a broken-hearted 10 year-old starting to well up in my eyes*. :(:

Baby Fisk
04-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by starboy0
To tell you the truth I don't get too hyped anymore when we have a string of games against "lesser" teams. Any given day you can get beat by any given team. Last year for example we did pretty well against the Yankees but let Detroit beat us too many times.

Nice post.

Every game is one that we can't afford to lose, period. It sucks if we lose to New York just like it sucks if we lose to Tampa. Given the first wild week (bonking bullpen, late inning heroics), there will be no automatic wins with this team.

Gammons Peter
04-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Don't take the DRays lightly, look at the starting pitchers we have going in this series. Wright, Show & Loaiza (who has a history of getting pounded by Tampa)

jackbrohamer
04-16-2004, 12:31 PM
"Easy schedules" were the kiss of death for the Sox the last few years under Manuel, like that stretch against TB and Det. last year around July 4th. Laying down when playing bad teams is just one of many manifestations of Manuel's incompetence

wolcott10
04-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
"Easy schedules" were the kiss of death for the Sox the last few years under Manuel, like that stretch against TB and Det. last year around July 4th. Laying down when playing bad teams is just one of many manifestations of Manuel's incompetence

I still have nightmares of that July 4th game when Carl Crawford hit that home run off Koch.

NonetheLoaiza
04-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Right now the rest of the month looks like this (actually May 2nd

3 game set @ DRays
3 game set vs Yanks
3 game set vs DRays
2 games vs Indians
4 Games vs Toronto

I think this is a good schedule for the White Sox. As we all know, the White Sox seem to play down to competition that might be considered an easy win. However, Tampa Bay has been playing solid ball, weve shown the Yanks what we can do, weve always played hard against the Indians, and Toronto has been playing below expectations but still remain a threat. This is the perfect test for the Sox to show what they can do throughout this year.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Last year the Tigers, Indians, Devil Rays and even the Padres took their whacks against the Sox. Nothing is easy in MLB.

Lip

MRKARNO
04-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Last year the Tigers, Indians, Devil Rays and even the Padres took their whacks against the Sox. Nothing is easy in MLB.

Lip

The main idea was that we have all of those games at home. We always do pretty well at home and having lesser teams doesnt hurt our cause