PDA

View Full Version : How much does Maggs want?

SoxBoy14
04-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Does anyone here have any inside on how much Maggs is asking for? Hell I'll pay him to stay after seeing him today. :maggs

soltrain21
04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
It not an issue of MONEY right now, its YEARS.

Maggs wants five, Chisox only want to give him 4. I don't really understand why...

SEALgep
04-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

Maggs wants five, Chisox only want to give him 4. I don't really understand why... I honestly can't see this falling apart with that being the only obstacle. I know it's not done yet, so who knows. However, I feel good about it, and believe we will be hearing good news fairly soon. We shall see.

LittleBears Suck
04-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Is it not better to have $14 million of free agency play money to get some pitching than to have Magglio? I understand Magglio is one of the 4 or 5 best OFers in the game, but the White Sox offense is not what ails them.

beckett21
04-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by LittleBears Suck
Is it not better to have $14 million of free agency play money to get some pitching than to have Magglio? I understand Magglio is one of the 4 or 5 best OFers in the game, but the White Sox offense is not what ails them.

:maggs

"I think I may have something to do with that!"

He makes everyone better.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 09:57 PM
The number of years does matter... at least to the Sox organization.

Like it or not (I don't) their rational is that 'what happens if (insert name here) has a bad final year, we're stuck with his contract...'

With the Sox claiming they are a small market team they simply can't afford (in their minds) to take any unnecessary risks.

That's why the lost Colon for example and that's why they stand a good chance of losing Mags. They operate a very rigid, inflexible management style and have for years (or about the time good ole Uncle Jerry decided it was important to try to destroy the players union and help hold down salaries. Which was about 1986.)

Lip

jabrch
04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
I have faith that this will be solved. Both sides want it to happen.

rahulsekhar
04-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

That's why the lost Colon for example and that's why they stand a good chance of losing Mags.

Lip

Or you could say they lost Colon because someone else decided to overpay him, which was the feeling among many fans and media "experts" when the Angels made their offer. I for one do not think that it was a smart move by the Angels and I believe that they'll be wishing they hadn't made him that deal in a couple of years.

munchman33
04-15-2004, 10:10 PM

Maggs wants five, Chisox only want to give him 4. I don't really understand why...

Because in the fifth year Magglio will be 35 years old and making $15 million a year. I wouldn't do it.

mweflen
04-15-2004, 10:30 PM
If we can keep Thomas on post-35, why not Magglio? (and no, he'll never sign a "diminished skills" clause :smile: )

He has never spent extended time on the DL. Over his first 6 full years he's averaged .307/29/109 and 154 games played per season. (and he didn't even play the whole year in his first full season, 1998)

It's not like we're talking about signing some career malingerer like Juan Gone here. Ordonez is the model of consistency and conditioning - something he has over Guererro.

5 years is not a bad risk. He wants to stay in Chicago for his whole career, and he wants to make fair market value. Based on today's market, he's worth $12-$14 million per year. This will probably be considered a "good deal" by 2008.

Plus, he's our most popular player. The extra million or two in the payroll per year is more than made up for by fannies in seats and polish sausages in bellies.

inta
04-16-2004, 12:14 AM
exactly. how much extra sox jerseys do they sell at the cell b/c of maggs? how much more attention do they get by having him in the all star game year after year?

lets not forget all the charity maggs does off the field, like what he did for the venezuelan little leage team and such.
that certainly cant hurt the sox in the long run.

i say pay maggs whatever he wants, and he's not asking for much. if this does fall through, i'll be really disappointed in the sox coz what maggs wants doesnt seem like much of a barrier.

batmanZoSo
04-16-2004, 12:16 AM

The guy is a poor man's Cal Ripken when it comes to durability. It's idiotic to quibble over years with Maggs. Give him 8.

stillz
04-16-2004, 12:58 AM
He's too good to let get away. They'll make him a fair offer, I hope. The Buehrle deal got done, and the offer they made Bartolo was solid. You can always go spend on pitching, but a dominant class-act outfielder like Maggs is worth a large investment.

Kadafi311
04-16-2004, 01:03 AM
All extremely valid points - especially the points of Sox exposure in All-Star games and the few extra fans he brings to the game.

I saw a picture of Maggs on MLB.com after the game today. The caption underneath read "Magglio Ordonez and the White Sox are reportedly close to inking a deal".

Encouraging. They usually wouldn't make a statement like that from mere contract negotiations. My guess is some wiley bastard from MLB has insiders info. Of course, that could just be wishful thinking :gulp:

That being said, my guess is a new deal will be announced within the next few days.