PDA

View Full Version : Randar...


rdivaldi
04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Do you have any info on the decisions to turn Munoz and Meaux into starters? I had heard rumors of Munoz possibly being made into a starter, but I figured he was destined to take over Wunsch's spot in the bullpen.

I was kind of hoping they'd turn Allen into a closer, but I guess he started last night.

Randar68
04-15-2004, 05:32 PM
There had been speculation within the Sox organization about making Munoz a starter. Apparently, they decided to try it. I don't know if it is permanent or if it is just to build arm strength and stamina. No idea what the long-term plan is, but he looked good this spring and still wasn't able to pin down the job with Scott in the rotation and Kelly on the DL, so who knows at this point, I really don't think the organization does, either.

jlh0023
04-15-2004, 05:36 PM
i was looking forward to him being our future closer

Randar68
04-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
i was looking forward to him being our future closer

Neither Meaux or Munoz is overpowering. They are some of the best pitchers in the organization, and if they aren't going to be closers, why not try them as starters first?

Meaux has never been a starter in his professional career, but being a minor league reliever limits your IP and the amount of valuable experience you can gain each year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if both these guys ended up back in the bullpen in terms of their MLB careers/potential, so it may just be to get more experience and for arm strength/stamina.

Best guess is all I can give on that subject.

rdivaldi
04-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Neither Meaux or Munoz is overpowering. They are some of the best pitchers in the organization, and if they aren't going to be closers, why not try them as starters first?

Meaux has never been a starter in his professional career, but being a minor league reliever limits your IP and the amount of valuable experience you can gain each year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if both these guys ended up back in the bullpen in terms of their MLB careers/potential, so it may just be to get more experience and for arm strength/stamina.

Best guess is all I can give on that subject.

Well, with the injuries to Honel and Wing, we're kind of lacking starters in the first place. I'm glad to see Ryan Rodriguez and Daniel Haigwood pitching again though.

Randar68
04-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Well, with the injuries to Honel and Wing, we're kind of lacking starters in the first place. I'm glad to see Ryan Rodriguez and Daniel Haigwood pitching again though.

amen to that.

hogsmom
04-18-2004, 08:13 AM
What's up with Honel's injury? I"ve been busy lately. Thanks in advance.

Rex Hudler
04-18-2004, 11:39 AM
--- Juan Nieves said that they wanted Arnie to get more innings and wanted him to learn to use his fastball more to become a complete pitcher. His breaking ball is so good, they felt he was relying on it too much. Moving him to the rotation will do just what Randar said, help him build stamina and gain experience through more IP. He didn't indicate a long term plan for him so I agree, you could see Munoz back in the pen at some point soon.

There was even a rumor that if Wunsch was traded, Munoz would go to Chicago and the starting experiment would be scrapped. That was only speculation, so not sure how accurate that was. I have always liked Munoz and after seeing him pitch very well in the Southern League at 19, I felt he had the stuff to be a starter. With his lack of size, his stamina has always been questioned. But there is no way to know for sure if he can do it without giving him a shot.

-- They are taking it slow with Honel. Wyatt Allen started in his place the other day. Honel is throwing on the side and may or may not be ready to make his next start. They haven't found anything specifically wrong with him, but this is the second time he has had soreness in the same area of his elbow, so they are taking precautions.

-- Haven't heard any updates on Wing lately, but he was originally slated to report to Birmingham in May.

maurice
04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
you could see Munoz back in the pen at some point soon.

Not if he keeps this up:

2 GS, 2 W, 0 L, 12 IP, 0 R, 5 Hits, 1 BB, 10 K

:gulp:

doublem23
04-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by hogsmom
What's up with Honel's injury? I"ve been busy lately. Thanks in advance.

Honel's hurt? When did that happen?

owensmouth
04-19-2004, 03:29 PM
I believe that I read that Honel was checked out and found to be okay. Thought I saw that Saturday.

Randar68
04-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I believe that I read that Honel was checked out and found to be okay. Thought I saw that Saturday.

Being cautious. This is the second time he's complained of pain in his throwing elbow (also had a scare in his first pro season). They didn't find anything wrong, just giving him some rest to see how it responds.

Chisoxfn
04-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Honel's hurt? When did that happen?

He was pulled from his first start. He may or may not make his next start; he's already missed one.

Hondo
04-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Randar,

Are you involved with the Minor League system of the Sox or do you just follow it more closely than most do?

Randar68
04-20-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Hondo
Randar,

Are you involved with the Minor League system of the Sox or do you just follow it more closely than most do?

The latter. I have no affiliation with any major or minor league team. Although work has prevented it recently, I get out to see a bunch of Sox minor league games every year to see these guys in person. You run into a lot of people as such. This year, I should have a two-week sabbatical from work and be able to spend a couple weeks at the various Sox minor league facilities, something I am really looking forward to.