jordan23ventura
04-15-2004, 02:41 PM
I think we've found our second basemen.

dllrbll7
04-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Is he a rookie this year?

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-15-2004, 02:45 PM
no he is not a rookie, actually he has played in 319 career games to date. but he is doing great so far

JRIG
04-15-2004, 02:54 PM
It's a very small sample size, but Uribe is being used the way he should be used -- against RHP. Considering there are no other options, a Uribe/Harris platoon at 2B isn't too horrible, even if they'll combine for only about 20 walks all season long.

pearso66
04-15-2004, 03:26 PM
JRIG, i believe you mean against LHP.

mantis1212
04-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
It's a very small sample size, but Uribe is being used the way he should be used -- against RHP. Considering there are no other options, a Uribe/Harris platoon at 2B isn't too horrible, even if they'll combine for only about 20 walks all season long.

I don't know, Uribe's been out there the past two games (KC) and he's been red hot against May, Anderson (lefties).

My question is, can this guy steal bases? He hasn't really in the past, but he's a second baseman, he's gotta have some speed right?

JRIG
04-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
JRIG, i believe you mean against LHP.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

KruseControl04
04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Uribe could be better defensively. I'll take Ray any day over Uribe/Harris/anyone else.

kittle42
04-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Of course, who knows why he was not allowed to hit in the 9th.

eurotrash35
04-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
Uribe could be better defensively. I'll take Ray any day over Uribe/Harris/anyone else.

word to your mother. sugar ray was a stud.

TheRockinMT
04-15-2004, 06:40 PM
I think it's great to have 2 solid young players who can share at 2B. Uribe will be good in place of Valentin too when Jose needs a rest. Willie Harris has not been too shaby himself remember.

SoxFan76
04-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by eurotrash35

Ladies and gentlemen, Rob Van Winkel has joined the board.

Paulwny
04-15-2004, 06:48 PM

On this board, a few years ago, he was called the fire hydrant for his failure to go after any ball hit to his right.

Malgar 12
04-15-2004, 07:04 PM
You certainly have to stay with Uribe while he's hot. Better to have a hot righthanded bat, over a weak willie lefthanded one.

batmanZoSo
04-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I don't know, Uribe's been out there the past two games (KC) and he's been red hot against May, Anderson (lefties).

My question is, can this guy steal bases? He hasn't really in the past, but he's a second baseman, he's gotta have some speed right?

He can run, but can't steal bases.

ChiSox7
04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Of course, who knows why he was not allowed to hit in the 9th.

Because he sucks against righties. This hot streak has come against all lefties. A platoon is fine with me.

bafiarocks03
04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
You think you found your second baseman!! what are you talkign about!! this guy can't play defence if his life depended on it!!! he had balls popped up to him that he didn't get!!! Willie would have got um!!!! i will give him his props on hitting! but d fenceivly nope!!!!! ]

:weewillie

SEALgep
04-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by bafiarocks03
You think you found your second baseman!! what are you talkign about!! this guy can't play defence if his life depended on it!!! he had balls popped up to him that he didn't get!!! Willie would have got um!!!! i will give him his props on hitting! but d fenceivly nope!!!!! ]

:weewillie I would keep watching Uribe if I were you. Especially in the field. He is going to surprise you.

mweflen
04-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Defensively - Uribe duffed a popup opening day, but so what. It didn't end up hurting the team.

Yesterday, he made an AMAZING tag-and-throw 4-3 double play. Incredible instinct and reaction to the play.

Defense is probably a wash, with Willie maybe having a slight edge.

Offensively, it's no contest at all. Willie may be coming around (and he may not be...), but Juan seems like he's already there. He has a proven bat, a career .260 hitter after 1172 ABs; while Willie is .214 after 346 AB.

How can you bench a guy when he's this hot? Play him against a rightie... which seems to be the plan, resting Valentin for a day, Juan and Willie in the infield... but if Uribe hits the righties, too, can they sit him down again afterward?

I want to see Willie develop, but I'd rather see the Sox win. Go Juan!

doublem23
04-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04

I'm going to chalk some of those up to him not really knowing the wind patterns at the Cell. That Opening Day drop was just boneheaded, but the one today was just played badly, but I believe that maybe the ball carried on him in a way he didn't expect.

We'll see. Didn't we say the same thing about D'Angelo Jimenez last April? And didn't we say Kenny Lofton was our great leadoff man in April 2002?

Let's give him more than a week and a half. :smile:

CubKilla
04-16-2004, 12:03 AM
sugar ray was a stud.

Ray thought the same thing too swinging for the fences every AB.