PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/15/04

Hangar18
04-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Mike Kiley does his best to again use the term "cubs world series" again. His Outrageous abuse of the terms is of historic proportions. His count at this point is 20 and counting. SOX
manage to OUTSTORY the flubs in the TRIB today, but not in the CubTimes. FredMitchell did a Q & A column today........and Lets Guess.....was it cub related yet again? Of Course it was!!!
he interviews sammys assistant, in a propoganda fluff piece.

Cubune:
3 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training

CUBS 383
SOX 237

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 12:43 PM
I like the fluff piece on the Passion titled "Prior not worried about elbow" by Kiley.

Here is my favorite quote:

Mark Prior still feels a periodic twinge in his right elbow, but believes it's normal and not career-threatening as he seeks to regain strength and endurance in the arm.

Who said anything about "career threatening," Mike?

Here is the article, Passion's got issues. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-prior15.html)

He isn't coming back until mid-July...AT THE EARLIEST...IMO.

Hangar18
04-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I used to be a sports writer in College for my alma-mater DePaul University. Its a lot of work to be a sports-writer. What Mike Kiley is doing in that profession is Morally and Journalistically WRONG. He is Absolutely one of the WORST writers Ive ever seen, writing with a Clear Mission of Cubpoganda and NEVER takes a stand to report anything, much less tell the truth. As a former writer, im disgusted with how he treats this profession.

bartmanisgod
04-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I used to be a sports writer in College for my alma-mater DePaul University. Its a lot of work to be a sports-writer. What Mike Kiley is doing in that profession is Morally and Journalistically WRONG. He is Absolutely one of the WORST writers Ive ever seen, writing with a Clear Mission of Cubpoganda and NEVER takes a stand to report anything, much less tell the truth. As a former writer, im disgusted with how he treats this profession.

Amen to that Hangar! I am the current sports editor for Loyola University Chicago's paper! This guy is a joke! It's bad enough going to school on the northside and living amongst all the bandwagon fans, but to look in the professional papers and see this kind of garbage cub propaganda is horrible! It dissapointing to be a student of journalism and have Kiley as a supposed role model! I'm embarassed for the city of Chicago and sports writers everywhere! This guy is no different than Stephen Glass and Jayson Blair and should be fired ASAP!

Frankfan4life
04-15-2004, 07:20 PM
What bugs me the most about today's coverage in the Cub-Times was Greg Couch's story about the fan attacks at the Cell. Did he have to write a whole column about it? Nothing has happened to indicate that Sox fans would be attacking the Royals this year.

I was at the game last year when the umpire was attacked and like most fans, I was appalled.

After such a dramatic win on Wednesday, I can't imagine why Couch couldn't think of something positive to write about the Sox.

BeerHandle
04-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Mike Kiley does his best to again use the term "cubs world series" again. His Outrageous abuse of the terms is of historic proportions. His count at this point is 20 and counting. SOX
manage to OUTSTORY the flubs in the TRIB today, but not in the CubTimes. FredMitchell did a Q & A column today........and Lets Guess.....was it cub related yet again? Of Course it was!!!
he interviews sammys assistant, in a propoganda fluff piece.

Cubune:
3 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training

CUBS 383
SOX 237

The Prior Watch Kills Me!!! F the Tribune

Dick Allen
04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
What bugs me the most about today's coverage in the Cub-Times was Greg Couch's story about the fan attacks at the Cell. Did he have to write a whole column about it? Nothing has happened to indicate that Sox fans would be attacking the Royals this year.

I was at the game last year when the umpire was attacked and like most fans, I was appalled.

After such a dramatic win on Wednesday, I can't imagine why Couch couldn't think of something positive to write about the Sox. Mike North, on the Score yesterday, pointed this out, and also the picture the Cub-Times ran of the 2 fans sitting in an otherwise empty section of the upper deck. He mentoned how biased this was, and from the paper that doesn't even own the Cubs.

woodenleg
04-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Also, in this week's Chicago Reader, there is an article by Ted Cox (Cub fan) on the Sox/Yankees series. He had bought a plane ticket to NY for the Yankees/Cubs series, but since that didn't pan out, he got stuck with it, so he went to see the Sox play the Yankees.

It was a pretty good anti-Yankee article, but then he had to ruin it with his postseason predictions : Royals win AL Central, Cubs / BoSox World Series.

Anyway, at least it's well-written. It's not online, so try to pick it up.

Max Power
04-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
Also, in this week's Chicago Reader, there is an article by Ted Cox (Cub fan) on the Sox/Yankees series. He had bought a plane ticket to NY for the Yankees/Cubs series, but since that didn't pan out, he got stuck with it, so he went to see the Sox play the Yankees.

There was going to be a Yankees/Cubs series in NY this season? What did I miss?

woodenleg
04-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Oh, sorry - he meant World Series . Or are you just having a laugh at his expense?