PDA

View Full Version : Baseball in Jersey?

Clembasbal
04-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1782924)

This would be cool because it would take away from the Yankees, but there is a quote from our wonderful owner in it saying that baseball would be great at the Meadowlands.

Now, I ask why is he the only owner quoted in this article, and in the beginning of the article it says that the Expos are not interested. Does this mean another team is going to relocate? And why is Reinsdork speaking?

I don't think it means anything because we have made a ton of changes to our park and there are still some more plans, but he has thought about moving in the past...???...

dickallen15
04-15-2004, 12:29 PM
He is on the relocation committee, and may be the chairman. I think thats why he is quoted.

soxfan26
04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
"Jerry Reinsdorf told me that baseball is interested in the Meadowlands because we are building a family entertainment center and bringing mass transit to the site."

Imagine that. Improving the neighborhood that a stadium is in just might be good for baseball!

Way to go Jerry.

Clembasbal
04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Good to know that he is chairman of the committee...I also talked to a friend of mine who sees Greg Veeck, son of BIll Veeck everyday...and he told me that this was hush hush and that they wanted the Expos but baseball won't let them.

He also said that Greg's brother, who works for MLB, is in on this and would like to move them to Brooklyn and rename whatever team it is to the "Brooklyn Trolly-dodgers" which was the original name of the team there long ago.

Rush20
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
If true, it would be nice to move the Dodgers back to New Jersey and move the Expos out to LA and rename them the L.A. Transplants. :D:

Because those fans arrive in the 3rd, leave in the 7th, perhaps the L.A. Commuters.

Sorry, just venting. All the pro-sports leagues want L.A. representation, however it seems the fans just don't care. Rams, Raiders, Dodgers, etc.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
last sat i was listening to the baseball show on espn1000 and they're interviewing selig and the basic quote i got out of that is "we're interested in Adding some teams but that's a plan for the future as i like how the league is right now" They were talking about the possibility of adding 1 or 2 teams to the league as baseball is starting to become more and more popular

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 01:42 PM
What Selig 'really' means is that owners want to gorge themselves at the trough of baseball expansion fee money again. Who cares if there isn't enough pitching to go around right now because the sport is still trying to recover from the last expansion.

I find it curious he said this because he was in charge when baseball was talking about shutting down two teams for the 'good of the game.'

Typical Selig...changes his comments every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Lip

MiamiSpartan
04-15-2004, 07:24 PM
It would never happen. Jerseyites stay away in droves from Devil and Nets games even when they are winning. What makes them think they will show for baseball??? :?:

voodoochile
04-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan
It would never happen. Jerseyites stay away in droves from Devil and Nets games even when they are winning. What makes them think they will show for baseball??? :?:

That's because there are no "Jerseyites". They all live in Philly or NY. Just ask them...

santo=dorf
04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
So what happens when an outfielder gets caught on the wall? Does he get a New Jersey? I'll be here until Tuesday. :D:

Whitesox029
04-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Here's a proposition: Why don't the White Sox "officially block" the continuation of baseball on the North Side. Don't the Sox have rights?

Baby Fisk
04-22-2004, 03:16 PM
For what it's worth, it would be cool to see a team back in Brooklyn...perhaps an AL East rival for the Bronx club. Call them the Brooklyn Natives or something (in the non-Indian sense, of course).

Anyway, here's an opinion from the Tribune that a New Jersey team would be -- to use that ambiguous term -- "good for baseball" by being bad for the Yankee$: Link it baby! (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/chi-0404220127apr22,1,4133401.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)