PDA

View Full Version : Can Adkins Close?

infohawk
04-15-2004, 12:17 PM
As uncomfortable as I am with Koch, it appears that he will get a few more opportunities at redemption. If he blows a couple more opportunities over the next couple of weeks, however, I think Ozzie will be forced to go to Plan B.

The old adage is that every team has an effective closer who is just waiting to be identified. If Koch doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox give Adkins an opportunity. I would just assume keep Politte and Marte in set-up roles and allow one of a group including Cotts/Wright/Rauch (call-up) to replace Adkins as the long man. I still think Wright is much more effective out of the pen.

Adkins doesn't appear flashy but seems to demonstrate good control and gets outs. He could potentially be in the same mold as Eddie Guardado and Joe Borowski. Neither of these guys are flashy closers, but are reliable and get the job done nevertheless.

I noticed not many people have voted for Adkins on the WSI poll. What do you guys think?

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
If Botch blows a game or two more, I think Ozzie goes with Politte as his closer only because Politte has closed games before. I think either Adkins or Jackson will move into the spot vacated by Politte.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Maybe Adkins can close for Charlotte, but I want to see Marte, Politte, Wright and Jackson given the opportunity first in that order.

RichFitztightly
04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If Botch blows a game or two more, I think Ozzie goes with Politte as his closer only because Politte has closed games before. I think either Adkins or Jackson will move into the spot vacated by Politte.

The problem I have with Politte is that he closed before, but he was absolutely abysmal. Somebody in another thread put it best when he described Politte as "alergic to the ninth inning." I'm certain it's all mental, but I'd rather see Marte given a chance, followed by Jackson, and then Cotts if he isn't going to be given a shot as a starter.

Randar68
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe Adkins can close for Charlotte, but I want to see Marte, Politte, Wright and Jackson given the opportunity first in that order.

Frankly, I'd rather see a guy like Munoz get a chance as well, even before Jackson.

mdep524
04-15-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm of the opinion that your "ace" relievers should be in there when the game is on the line, i.e the 8th inning or 7th inning possibly with runners on base. I like what I see of Politte and Marte is still Marte. Those two guys are more valuable, so I think they should be "setting up," even though the term "set up man" is incorrectly/misleadingly less prestiguous than "closer."

I'd give Adkins or Danny Wrong a shot at closing. As much as dislike Wrong as a starter (he physically can't go past 5 innings, mental lapses, etc.) I think he has the stuff to be a solid closer. The we would bump Cotts, Rauch or Grilli into the rotation. Adkins has looked strong too, and I think he'd be fine.