PDA

View Full Version : McDowell: McGuire was a done deal...

IlliniSox
04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040415rosenbloomoutloud,1,2726541.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

DrummerGeorgefan
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah i picked up on that....what a lineup that would have been with hurt and mcgwire protecting each other

soxfan26
04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I wish McDowell would learn to keep his mouth shut.

Irishsox1
04-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Sometimes Jack forgets to change the bong water before he speaks. Hey Jack, what happend in game 1 and 5 during the 93 playoffs?

RKMeibalane
04-15-2004, 12:44 PM
What does it matter if the Sox could have had Mark McGwire? The past is the past. It's easy to look back and say that they "should have done this" or "traded for this guy," but in reality, there's no way to know how a player will turn out. For all we know, the Big Hurt-Big Mac experiment could have been a complete and utter failure. We've seen over the past few years that Frank doesn't hit as well when he is the DH. He would have been the DH with McGwire around, and he may never have become the player that he has been.

McDowell is just bitter that his career went down the toilet after he went to New York. I wouldn't put too much in anyting that comes out of his mouth.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I had the good fortune (thanks to Daver) to speak with Jack for four hours in an interview for the web site. I found him to be really cool. Anyway if you missed it, here is the link to the interview.

Jack does talk about McGwire (and Ventura's reaction to it all), the 93 ALCS, his releationship with good ole Uncle jerry and a lot of stuff about the 1990 team and the last game at Comiskey Park. (and how Goldie Hawn walked into the trainers room where he was half naked...)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2085

Lip

Chisox_cali
04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I'd rather have a Cy Young because you earn that. A No. 1 record doesn't mean squat. All that means is you were allowed to get in there and a bunch of dummies bought your record.

HA! :D:

ewokpelts
04-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What does it matter if the Sox could have had Mark McGwire? The past is the past. It's easy to look back and say that they "should have done this" or "traded for this guy," but in reality, there's no way to know how a player will turn out. For all we know, the Big Hurt-Big Mac experiment could have been a complete and utter failure. We've seen over the past few years that Frank doesn't hit as well when he is the DH. He would have been the DH with McGwire around, and he may never have become the player that he has been.

McDowell is just bitter that his career went down the toilet after he went to New York. I wouldn't put too much in anyting that comes out of his mouth.

cleaveland...thier doctors ****ed up his arm.....
Gene

doublem23
04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Also, at the time of this deal, McGwire was thought to be at the end of his career, right? Ah, Big Mac likes the Juice.

RKMeibalane
04-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Also, at the time of this deal, McGwire was thought to be at the end of his career, right? Ah, Big Mac likes the Juice.

That's right. The 1991 season was the worst of McGwire's career. He hit .201 with 22 home runs. Tony LaRussa benched him the final day of the season just so he wouldn't end up hitting below .200 for the season.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I had the good fortune (thanks to Daver) to speak with Jack for four hours in an interview for the web site. I found him to be really cool. Anyway if you missed it, here is the link to the interview.

Jack does talk about McGwire (and Ventura's reaction to it all), the 93 ALCS, his releationship with good ole Uncle jerry and a lot of stuff about the 1990 team and the last game at Comiskey Park. (and how Goldie Hawn walked into the trainers room where he was half naked...)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2085

Lip

*****!

WSI scoops the Cubune by a full year!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

:knue
"I hate you technogeeks!"

Lip Man 1
04-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Just FYI:

In 1996 when the Sox were blowing a sizable lead in the wild card race (4 1/2 games) down the stretch because our 5th starters (like Mike Sirotka and Mike Bertotti) were awful (gee that sounds familiar doesn't it???) McDowell won in double figures again this time with Cleveland.

His career ended because during an operation after the season an arthroscope inserted into his arm nicked a nerve and permanently paralyzed his forearm. (I never did ask him if he sued the doctor!)

and here's something to consider for all of the 'what if's'. What if the Sox had signed McGwire and Thomas agreed to become a DH? The Sox then don't trade Sosa (at least to the Cubs) for George Bell because the Sox didn't need another 'power' hitter to protect Frank & Robin. (Although I think Sosa would have been traded because he didn't get along with Walt Hriniak...)

But it's possible the middle of the Sox batting order for 1992 would have been.....

3. Thomas
4. McGwire
5. Ventura
6. Sosa.

and the Cubs never get their biggest drawing card next to that other gift from the Sox, Harry Caray.

Lip

WinningUgly!
04-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
In 1996 when the Sox were blowing a sizable lead in the wild card race (4 1/2 games) down the stretch because our 5th starters (like Mike Sirotka and Mike Bertotti) were awful (gee that sounds familiar doesn't it???) McDowell won in double figures again this time with Cleveland.

McDowell ended up with 13 wins in '96 because of the fat run support courtesy of the Indians' bats. I loved Black Jack, but his 5.11 era (and $4,800,000 pricetag) wouldn't have been enough for the Sox to hold off the O's in the Wildcard race that year.