PDA

View Full Version : If You were Kenny Williams...

Petch
04-15-2004, 08:57 AM
If you were Kenny Williams what moves would you be pondering right now.

Help in the bullpen?
A better starter?
More speed?

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Petch

Help in the bullpen?
A better starter?
More speed?

my resignation.

Baby Fisk
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM

How to keep the villagers from burning my house down.

...or placating them with a closer...

soxfan26
04-15-2004, 09:01 AM
:KW

"Grinders, I need more grinders, and BBQ chips, with a Pepsi."

Brian26
04-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
my resignation.

The team is playing tremendously. Olivo, Rowand, Uribe, Harris, and Cliff P. have all been doing their jobs. What's the beef with Kenny? Don't call for KW's resignation because of Koch's mediocre performance. A lot of GM's have done far worse than that.

DrummerGeorgefan
A number 4 starter. Shoenwies and Wright scare me.

Also, contemplate moving into the unknown bunker that the Wirtz and McCaskey family live in

Jjav829

Help in the bullpen?
A better starter?
More speed?

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

I would be looking into what closers may be available as the season moves on (Danny Graves?). It's really too early to say for sure because we are early on in the season. There are still questions as to how certain players are going to perform this year. But right now closer is an issue so you have to start considering what moves you could make down the road, if needed.

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
The team is playing tremendously. Olivo, Rowand, Uribe, Harris, and Cliff P. have all been doing their jobs. What's the beef with Kenny? Don't call for KW's resignation because of Koch's mediocre performance. A lot of GM's have done far worse than that.

2000-now

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

I would be looking into what closers may be available as the season moves on (Danny Graves?). It's really too early to say for sure because we are early on in the season. There are still questions as to how certain players are going to perform this year. But right now closer is an issue so you have to start considering what moves you could make down the road, if needed.

You could probally get Wickman cheaply when he comes back.

Jjav829
04-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Possibly, but I'm not sure I want a guy who hasn't pitched since 2002 and who is coming off of TJ surgery, as well as a sprained elbow, trying to close out important games down the stretch of a playoff run. I'd rather get Graves who should be available (assuming the Reds fade out of contention) with Wagner waiting in the wings.

Risk
04-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I think we absolutely need to get another starting pitcher. The Schoenweis-Wright experiment is a powder keg waiting to explode.

I think the bullpen will be ok-not great, but adequate-yet we absoultely need another reliable starting pitcher. Besides, it's much easier to get better relief pitching as the season rolls on than it is to get another quality SP

Risk

Irishsox1
04-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Dog and a Beer first, then a starter and a closer.

nodiggity59
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Randy Johnson--> Book it!

IlliniSox
04-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Risk
I think we absolutely need to get another starting pitcher. The Schoenweis-Wright experiment is a powder keg waiting to explode.

I think the bullpen will be ok-not great, but adequate-yet we absoultely need another reliable starting pitcher. Besides, it's much easier to get better relief pitching as the season rolls on than it is to get another quality SP

Risk

Schoenweis is a pro, I'll stick with him. But Wright is once again Wrong, let's see if the kids (NC) can play.

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

This team has been playing good baseball for 8 games. Acquisitions such as Olivo, Marte, and, to a lesser degree at this time, Adkins and Cotts, only prove that KW is meant to be either running or scouting for the minor leagues. His "big league" deals, namely Botch and Ritchie, have been absolutely HORRIBLE deals. The fact that KW was the only GM in baseball willing to trade a top-notch closer in Keith Foulke for Billy Botch then sign Botch to a 2 yr/$10 million contract BEFORE THROWING ONE PITCH IN A WHITE SOX UNIFORM is atrocious..... especially when JR and KW say there is no way the Sox would have been able to resign Foulke BUT they can turn around and spend $10 million on a washed up, useless "closer."

I'd go as far as to say that we should start referring to Botch as our "opener" considering when you bring him in with any less than a 4 run lead you can guarantee that he's going to open the game up..... for the opposition.

maurice
04-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Top-of-the-rotation starter to replace Colon, but I don't think KW has the salary space to do it. He probably can't clear significant salary wihout trading Maggs, which is pretty much out of the question at this point in the season. Maybe Valentin and Konerko will draw some more interest now.

bennyw41
04-15-2004, 10:56 AM
The question in the post was not whether or not Kenny has done a good job, but what can he do NOW with what he has. I think he needs to look for closer help first. Bullpen is what's gonna decide the division.

owensmouth
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
If Garland can't do any better than he did yesterday, forget about spending anything. Five runs in the 6th and 7th innings? Maybe Manuel was right. If Garland doesn't clean up his immediately, then we've got bigger problems than a closer can fix.

Nick@Nite
04-15-2004, 11:57 AM
1. I'd get Maggs re-signed at all costs... lock him up for 5 years.

2. Trade Joe Borchard and any other prospects for pitching to win now. With CLee & ARow on the right side of 30... and a re-signed Maggs, the Sox would not be mortgaging the OF future....

... the hitting is there, the pitching isn't too far away... this team can win NOW!

jordan23ventura
04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Top-of-the-rotation starter to replace Colon, but I don't think KW has the salary space to do it. He probably can't clear significant salary wihout trading Maggs, which is pretty much out of the question at this point in the season. Maybe Valentin and Konerko will draw some more interest now.

The way Uribe is looking I would have no problem trading Valentin and using the money on a starter. I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to seeing how Harris & Uribe play together when Valentin gets the day off.

Then if we could do some sort of package of Wright/Schoenweis for a reliver we should clear up enough to get some more help in the bullpen.

If PK stays hot, don't trade him until the offseason unless its for a top starter and we work out at least a 2-3 year deal.

mdep524
04-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'd go as far as to say that we should start referring to Botch as our "opener" considering when you bring him in with any less than a 4 run lead you can guarantee that he's going to open the game up..... for the opposition.

Hilarious!!! But so true. I think I am going to adopt this one myself, if you don't mind. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
If you are talking about right now the only thing he can do is try to make a trade with the salaries coming out about even. Remember the Sox are over their self appointed budget.

To me the top priority is getting the bullpen in some kind of order. Right now with Wunsch's injury and Koch's ineffectiveness it's a disaster area.

Sooner or later, probably sooner, the team's confidence is going to start taking a hit if the pen consistently keeps letting beaten teams back into games.

My second priority would be starting pitching.

The usual bug a boo of the Sox never having enough (because pitching costs money) is surfacing again this year.

Lip

steff
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
my resignation.

Amen!

soxtalker
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
You might also ask the question as to what you'd be interested in giving up right now. There were a lot of fans who wanted to trade Konerko in the off-season. He's playing pretty well right now, which should raise his value.

nitetrain8601
04-15-2004, 05:04 PM
I think(and this is later in the season if it looks like we can't be stopped on a road to the playoffs) we should go after Graves and probably Aaron Hang from Cincinatti. Hang is a starting pitcher and I believe he is their ace right now. He's no ace pitcher, but I believe he can be a great 4. Graves would allow for Damaso to be our setup man and Koch could be traded in this deal or could be a situational reliever.

jlh0023
04-15-2004, 05:19 PM
our hitters have been performing, our pitchers have not....and its not the starters i'm worried about. i'm worried about siting down garland in the 7th with a lead, and coming out with a loss. our bullpen is disgusting. we got a lot of guys that are good some times, and no one to go to in confidence, every day....not just a closer, relievers of all kinds

Risk
04-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
1. I'd get Maggs re-signed at all costs... lock him up for 5 years.

2. Trade Joe Borchard and any other prospects for pitching to win now. With CLee & ARow on the right side of 30... and a re-signed Maggs, the Sox would not be mortgaging the OF future....

... the hitting is there, the pitching isn't too far away... this team can win NOW!

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago re: Borchard. I mean, seriously, other than lefty power, I don't see any reason for keeping him since our OF is pretty much set right now and Reed, Sweeney, & Anderson waiting in the wings. I say package Joe B. and a couple of draft picks and get another starter.

Risk

OurBitchinMinny
04-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I think a starter, unless a good closer is available. I actually like KW. I have no question that he wants win. His hands are tied a little, but he went out and tried to get the right pieces for them to win. They should have won last year easily. Hes made some bad trades, but the olivo trade is looking better and better.

Needs in order:
1. 4th/5th starter
2. Closer/any bullpen help
3. Left-handed power off the bench

A. Cavatica
04-15-2004, 06:58 PM

I'd rather cut off one of Koch's finger joints each time he blows a save & turn him into Wickman.

soxtalker
04-15-2004, 07:20 PM
I think that this is a very difficult question to answer right now. We really have to let the season move along a bit more (at least 20 or 30 more games) to get a better feel for where our strengths and weaknesses are as well as trading partners.

We don't really know how players will do over more than a few games. Those high batting averages will come down, and, hopefully, those that are low will come up. I do want to see Koch pitch some more. I'll be on the edge of my seat when he does, but he's had both good and bad outings. Same for Marte. Schoenweis has had one pretty effective start; let's see how he does in about five.

I'm not being critical of the question being asked. That's what we do on this board, and we'll continue to debate it throughout the season. My answer, though, is that if I were in KW's shoes now, I'd be very reluctant to pull the trigger on a trade. Maybe a better way of putting it is that it might be very difficult for such a trade to materialize this early in the season.

iwannago
04-15-2004, 07:59 PM

Help in the bullpen?
A better starter?
More speed?

I'd fire myself!

crector
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
If I were KW, I'd put Danny Wright in the bullpen and place Jon Adkins in the 5th starter slot.

I'd also trade away the greedy pig Ordonez for a closer and bring up either Borchard, Sweeney or Reed for the OF.

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by crector
I'd also trade away the greedy pig Ordonez for a closer and bring up either Borchard, Sweeney or Reed for the OF.

Hi ya JR. I was wondering where you went.

SEALgep
04-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by crector
If I were KW, I'd put Danny Wright in the bullpen and place Jon Adkins in the 5th starter slot.

. What makes you think Adkins can start?

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What makes you think Adkins can start?

Did you see what JR said about dealing Maggs for a closer? Just ignore.

Petch
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
The fact that KW was the only GM in baseball willing to trade a top-notch closer in Keith Foulke for Billy Botch then sign Botch to a 2 yr/$10 million contract BEFORE THROWING ONE PITCH IN A WHITE SOX UNIFORM is atrocious..... especially when JR and KW say there is no way the Sox would have been able to resign Foulke BUT they can turn around and spend $10 million on a washed up, useless "closer."

[/B]

I agree that I am ready to see Koch leave this team, but let us not forget, that when we traded for him he had just saved 44 games in Oakland. A lot of people expected him to be dominating. He was the opposite of Foulke. A fast, high-ninties, pitcher, who would come right at the batter with all he had and get the outs. Nobody could have predicted that he would lose 6 mph off his fastball and suck.

Dadawg_77
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
He was the opposite of Foulke.

yep, one was good while the other one sucked.

wood28
04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
obviously it would be nice to have all three, but as far as speed , who would you take out of the current lineup? Jose? Harris? Rowand? Probably three of the swiftest guys we have. So it would be pitching. A number 4 would be nice and then place either Schowenweis or Wright in the Pen. But we definitely need some right handed help in the pen since Koch is, well, Koch and Mr. Zero has turned out to be a Zero.

E Coast Sox Fan
04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Not sure, but with Sabermetrics taking hold in LA maybe we could get a pretty good deal on Dave Roberts (thier leadoff hitter who can steal many bases). In their new system, his best asset - speed - is not valued.

OurBitchinMinny
04-16-2004, 05:17 PM
yep, one was good while the other one sucked.

Koch was good and foulke sucked. Then they reversed roles. Koch hasnt been the same since he blew games against thet twinkies in the playoffs 2 years ago.

maurice
04-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Actually, Koch was wildly inconsistent but had a career year for Oakland. Foulke was generally excellent but had one bad month for the Sox.