PDA

View Full Version : Here's a shock...

hsnterprize
04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
The WGN Morning Show admits there's a preference towards the Cubs...well, duh!!!!! Here's the deal...

The show has a fan letter segment at around 7:20 (Central time) each morning called, "Voicemail Frenzy". 2 letters featured in this morning's segment were from Sox fans complaining about WGN's favoritism towards the Cubs as far as their home openers were concerned; mainly because of WGN's connection with the Tribune Company. One letter said it was "unfair" WGN had so many live segments at Wrigley, such as reporters Rosanne Tellez and Larry Potash on a rooftop across the street, Dean Richards on another rooftop talking with people barbequing, sports reporter Mike Barz on the field, and other novelties. On Tuesday, sports reporter Mike Barz was at The Cell performing novelties like taking batting practice with Kevin Hickey. In other words, not as much hype about the Sox as with the Cubs according to the viewer. Another viewer wrote that the "Cubs home opener is not a national holiday," but you'd never know it by the way WGN covered it. One of the letters (I don't remember which one) ended by saying, "The Sox are going all the way, baby!!!!!"

Larry Potash says he doesn't think the "favoritism" is because of WGN's connections with the Cubs, but because the WGN studios are closer to Wrigley than the Cell. The anchors joked about that statement, saying it was "less expensive" to cover the Cubs than the Sox. Mike Barz, suprizingly, agreed with the letters. I've heard him say many of his friends are Sox fans, and they constantly give him grief about WGN's bias towards the Cubs.

I really didn't expect much from WGN since I knew they're leaning towards teh Cubs anyway. The other stations, however, really did a great job...at least as far as the morning shows were concerned, in covering the Sox opener. All the stations had the same configurations for both teams...either they had a reporter at the ballpark, or they had some kind of team setup. Channels 2, 5, and 7 had a reporter at each ballpark, while Fox had a twosome at both places. WGN acted like it was Mardi Gras time when the Cubs started their home season, while it only sent a reporter to the Cell the next day. You be the judge.

LuvSox
04-15-2004, 08:03 AM
WGN news is bush league anyway. Worst. News. Ever.

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 08:13 AM
WGN sucks. TV and radio.

I agree about the major news channels, they all had a lot of nice coverage.

Even 101.9's morning show had nice things to say about the Cell's renovations. (Disclaimer: I don't listen to that station out of choice. It's on at the gym. I have no control over it!)

ma_deuce
04-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Even 101.9's morning show had nice things to say about the Cell's renovations. (Disclaimer: I don't listen to that station out of choice. It's on at the gym. I have no control over it!)

Listening to Eric and Kathy must be great for your workout.

Deuce

samram
04-15-2004, 08:26 AM
I find it odd that WGN, a Tribune division, was broadcasting from the rooftops given the recent conflicts between rooftop owners and the Tribune company. I've been out of Chicago for awhile. Has that been worked out?

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by samram
I find it odd that WGN, a Tribune division, was broadcasting from the rooftops given the recent conflicts between rooftop owners and the Tribune company. I've been out of Chicago for awhile. Has that been worked out?

Yes, the Tribune/Cubs is getting several million dollars from it. The Cubs credited this increased revenue for the money to pay Maduxx.