PDA

View Full Version : Sox Set To Unveil Retired Numbers Next Tue vs NY

Wsoxmike59
04-15-2004, 06:41 AM
To all the fans who have been wondering when the Sox were going to put back the retired numbers back on display, you need not wonder any longer. The answer is found below. Good news indeed. It should look very nice. U.S. Cellular Field has really become a beautiful ballpark over the last few seasons.

Bit of history returning to U.S. Cellular Field
April 15, 2004

BY RON RAPOPORT SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

When the All-Star Game came to Chicago last year, the White Sox made way for the accompanying pageantry by temporarily dispensing with an indispensable part of their past.

The baseball replicas featuring the numbers the team has retired through the years, which were displayed on the facing of the club level at U.S. Cellular Field, were removed to accommodate All-Star Game bunting and signage.

That left the Sox with a problem they have turned into an opportunity as they restore the tributes to the great Sox players who have received the ultimate honor.

On Tuesday, in ceremonies before a game against the Yankees, Sox fans who have been asking when those numbers will be restored will get their answer. The numbers, along with sepia-toned likenesses of the players, will be unveiled in a spot where they now are hidden by green vinyl -- on the left-field fence.

The Sox will have a representative for each of the players on hand. Billy Pierce, Harold Baines and Minnie Minoso will be there in person. Ozzie Guillen will represent Luis Aparicio, who was not able to stay in Chicago after appearing at the home opener Tuesday. Carlton Fisk's daughter will represent the Hall of Fame catcher, who has an out-of-town commitment.

Nellie Fox's widow, Joanne, and daughters will be there for the late Hall of Fame second baseman. Chico Carrasquel will represent Luke Appling. A representative is being sought from Ted Lyons' family. And in honor of Jackie Robinson, whose number has been retired by every team in baseball, the team is working to bring in Rachel Robinson, his widow, or Sharon, his daughter.

Sox fans who love their history won't want to miss this historic moment.

MarqSox
04-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Now THAT makes me happy. :gulp:

thepaulbowski
04-15-2004, 07:32 AM
that should be cool & I already have tickets!!!

DrummerGeorgefan
04-15-2004, 07:35 AM
You guys think it going to look like the Dodger's fence. Dont they have likenesses of the players out there. Or is that another team.

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 07:45 AM
I'd like someone to clarify "sepia-toned likenesses". Sepia is a "a brownish gray to dark olive brown color". I atually don't care much for the Dodgers images on their outfield fence. I always liked the more simplified look of the Jersey's with the name and number, or baseball's with the name and number.

I'm glad their coming back, though.

soxnut
04-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Finally, what I'd been saying around here has been annonced officially. Now I know I'm not going crazy. And I'm glad they're doing it in that style onstead of the old corny uniform style or the boring baseball style.

npdempse
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I'd like someone to clarify "sepia-toned likenesses". Sepia is a "a brownish gray to dark olive brown color".

Sepia toned photo prints are just like black and white, except instead of grey/black, the dark areas are more brownish.

Comme ca--

Rocky Soprano
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Awesome, and I will be there in the Patio Party!

mikef1331
04-15-2004, 04:32 PM
It's about time! I'm happy the Sox are finally putting the retired numbers back up. I like that they are going to make the numbers more prominent this time instead of the hard to see tiny numbers on the club level.

Stoky44
04-15-2004, 04:45 PM
I think they are going to keep it simple, probably just baseball's with the player's number on them, much like how it was at the old park on the right field wall.

I just had a scary thought, what if they used those stupid pinwheel logos with the number on them. That would look terrible. I hope they keep it simple, nothing too flashy.

soxnut
04-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I think they are going to keep it simple, probably just baseball's with the player's number on them, much like how it was at the old park on the right field wall.

I just had a scary thought, what if they used those stupid pinwheel logos with the number on them. That would look terrible. I hope they keep it simple, nothing too flashy.

There's nothing wrong with the pinwheel logo. It is a great brand identification. But it would look bad if they used them for the numbers, but I'm sure that's not what they are doing. And it better not be "just baseballs" either. That is corny. :(:

If there is going to be a brown tone to it--then it is going to have photos of the players on the wall as well.

dllrbll7
04-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Shouldnt they have done it on opening day when those players were there? Now Fisks daughter will unveil his number? I know they wanna spread it out for attendance reasons but why try to have these players in town twice in a week?