PDA

View Full Version : the NEW go-go sox

inta
04-15-2004, 05:18 AM
so mike downey has an article about Guillens "reckless" policy on baserunning in todays cubune.

not sure what the WSI official perspective is on this, but personally i love it.
especially this early in the season when teams arent expecting it and we can take full advantage of sleepy pitchers who are imagining the sox of yesteryear.

Anyway, aside from hawk and DJ singing Guillens praises non stop, what's the WSI baseball-intelligensia stance on this more aggresive baserunning policy?

reckless to a degree, sure. but we've lost no games due to it.
in my opinion we should have 2 more wins and 2 less losses this season and that's not due to the baserunning at all.

SSN721
04-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Personally I like it too. Other teams are certainly not expecting it, although if we continue doing it at the pace we are right now I think we will be figured out by most teams after a couple months into this season. Hopefully Ozzie will find a good balance. I only feel that this style as agressive as it is will come back to hurt the Sox after teams have seent hem a few times. Although even if he doesnt change this style at all I stilkl feel it is more enjoyable to watch and can hold much greater rewards then the "corpseball" we have been used to for the last few years.

Railsplitter
04-15-2004, 08:28 AM
If you go by percentages, a stolen base is easier to come by than a hit. Also, those pick off throws to first can distract a pitcher and make him forget the batter. Besides, if you have speed, why not use it?

DrummerGeorgefan
04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Dont mind the run and fun Ozzie offense. The aggressiveness and emotion of it is good for the team. Plus, unless a guys got a laser cannon from the OF, a runner trying to advance may hurry his throw and either make a bad throw or come up short under the pressure. This is especially true against less veteran OF's.

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Mike Downey has yet to have an interesting thought about anything since he arrived at the Cubune. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

The aggressiveness may not be the smartest approach to the game, but I think it fits with this team. Outside of Willie Harris, there's not a lot of overwhelming speed on the base paths. Between Frank, Paulie, and Crede, you could argue the Sox are pretty much station to station. Stretching an extra base out of hit may be the best way to move some of these guys over.

I kind of like it.

24thStFan
04-15-2004, 09:10 AM
I love the aggressive new style for four reasons.

1. It motivates the players. This team looks completely different than last year’s group—they’re focused and hustling—that cannot be a bad thing.

2. It distracts the opposition. As several other posters have said, we‘ve got the other pitchers thinking about base runners before they deliver—also a slight advantage.

3. It forces the other team to make plays. Every time the other team has to make a throw or put a tag on a runner there’s a slight chance of an error—errors lead to extra bases ands possibly runs.

4. It represents a completely different style from the typical AL game. The aggressive bunting and base stealing is not seen in the AL. This should also give the SOX the advantage of surprise (for a while).

Have said all this, I don’t know how long the Sox can capitalize on their new style. I don’t think we the right type of players to pull this off for too long. Once the other teams adjust, Ozzie will have to do something different. Hopefully, we’ll have a good lead in the division, our big sluggers will get hot, the starting rotation will be set, and the bull pen will settle down.

ode to veeck
04-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Besides, if you have speed, why not use it?

Like Paulie, eh?

Actually, I like the aggressiveness on the basepaths exhibited by the Sox, which has taken advantage of lapses of attention by the Yanks and Royals. I don't consider it reckless at all, but actually astute. for the most part. Yeah, we lost a runner or two here, but it brings that extra pressure on your opponents, plus makes em look bad when they screw up

Baby Fisk
04-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Another thing I like about the New Go-Go's is that [almost] anyone in the lineup can be looked to for a clutch hit. Yesterday it was Crede for example. A clutch hit to stave off a debacle that could have sent this team into a tailspin.

Olivo looks great, Valentin has shaken off the early funk, Paulie and Maggs are doing their thing, and Frank is due. Go Go Sox!

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 09:50 AM
If the Sox keep running this reckless they will lose games because of it and it has cost the Sox more runs then it had gained so far. The smart aggressiveness is a good thing, while stupidity of Frank getting caught stealing is bad.

Baby Fisk
04-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If the Sox keep running this reckless they will lose games because of it and it has cost the Sox more runs then it had gained so far. The smart aggressiveness is a good thing, while stupidity of Frank getting caught stealing is bad.
Running Frank was the kind of bold statement that gets the other team to sit up and go "huh?". I agree that one was over the top and not likely to be repeated, but I'm not feeling any anxiety about running too much. Running = opportunities, Opportunities = more runs.

Dadawg_77
04-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Running Frank was the kind of bold statement that gets the other team to sit up and go "huh?". I agree that one was over the top and not likely to be repeated, but I'm not feeling any anxiety about running too much. Running = opportunities, Opportunities = more runs.

Running for sake of running = blown opportunities, Blown Opportunities = less runs.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Running for sake of running = blown opportunities, Blown Opportunities = less runs.

Totally agree. If thomas hadn'tve run, we wouldve gotten 1st and 2nd, 1 out, a great scoring opportunity. Intstead we had 1st 2 out, a bad scoring opportunity. It might have beeen the difference between Botch and Marte starting the 9th

wsgdf
04-15-2004, 12:15 PM
From a sabermetric perspective, stealing bases is effective if you do it at an 80 % rate or better. Anything less and you actually begin decreasing scoring opportunities.

That being said, there's no way to measure the overall psychological effect it may have on a team. On this team, it seems to be at minimum one of the ways Ozzie is keeping their collective heads in the game.

Baby Fisk
04-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
On this team, it seems to be at minimum one of the ways Ozzie is keeping their collective heads in the game.

The sheer spectacle of Frank Thomas stealing bases is revolutionary. These ain't your father's Go-Go Sox! Whether it will pay off in the long run or not, stay tuned, but it's nothing to get upset about...yet...

sas1974
04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
The smart aggressiveness is a good thing, while stupidity of Frank getting caught stealing is bad.

That was a botched hit and run, not a straight steal.

Dan H
04-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I like the aggressive baserunning as well, but it has to be done with some thought. The idea of a good running game is to force the opposition to execute. I have no problem with a runner getting thrown out because the defense was forced to make a good play and then it comes through. I don't like the idea of somebody getting thrown out by 35 feet and then saying he was being aggressive. I liked Olivio stealing in the eigth inning yesterday. I don't want Frank Thomas to even think of stealing.

mann
04-15-2004, 07:19 PM
I was super pissed the first few times I saw Sox get gunned at second on what was basically a long single, however, I think it's grown on me. It's not just aggressiveness on the bases - I don't think you can seperate it from the Ozzie-ness, which, as a whole, has been a huge positive. In one case Olivo gets pegged at third, in another he scores from second on a passed ball. I think we'll have to take the bad with the good and hope that the runners make better decisions as they get used to the style.