PDA

View Full Version : I'm being optimisti and looking at a playoff scenario

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 01:36 AM
And I am thinking to myself...If we are in a really close game, do we want Billy Koch in there to close it out...even IF he pitches well the rest of the season? I mean, this guy was Rolaids relief man of the year in 2002, and he blew the key game against the Yanks when he was throwing 99.

KW better get a legit closer, b/c I will throw up if we give up a 4 run lead in the 9th in a playoff series.

Just thinking ahead...

Does anyone know who can possibly be available to acquire as we get closer to the trade deadiline? Urbina will be available...but we could have already had him. Matt Mantei (The D'Backs are going nowhere fast). Denny Graves? Rocky Biddle? Danny Kolb? Williamson? Benitez?

nodiggity59
04-15-2004, 02:01 AM
I've thought about Urbina before - the Tigers will have nothing to lose in dropping him if they are out of it in July. Given his connection with Ozzie I like him the best.

batmanZoSo
04-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
And I am thinking to myself...If we are in a really close game, do we want Billy Koch in there to close it out...even IF he pitches well the rest of the season? I mean, this guy was Rolaids relief man of the year in 2002, and he blew the key game against the Yanks when he was throwing 99.

KW better get a legit closer, b/c I will throw up if we give up a 4 run lead in the 9th in a playoff series.

Just thinking ahead...

Does anyone know who can possibly be available to acquire as we get closer to the trade deadiline? Urbina will be available...but we could have already had him. Matt Mantei (The D'Backs are going nowhere fast). Denny Graves? Rocky Biddle? Danny Kolb? Williamson? Benitez?

Koch blew it for the A's in 2002.

Foulke blew it for us in 2000.

Foulke blew it for the other Sox last year.

I never trusted either in a big game. They're both chokers. We're long overdue for a good dependable closer.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2004, 02:33 AM
It's not just the 'closer' situation. Have you seen the number of walks the bullpen has allowed in just eight games?

Lip

inta
04-15-2004, 05:29 AM
oh my god another freakin koch thread....
christ.

anyway, keeping with the actual TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. i've very optimistic and being so, i think if we're in first of close to it by mid season i am very optimistic that JR will open the coffers and sign the talent needed to put us over like he did last year.
needed talent being another starter or TWO, and another arm in the bullpen.

no doubt JR is a cheap mofo, but if we're contending or leading by midseason, i can see him going for the juggular. especially with your NY's and Seattles struggling.

optimistic, i know. but i'm feeling good about these sox this year.