PDA

View Full Version : This is not a good read; Ozzie re: Koch

Win1ForMe
04-14-2004, 11:55 PM
"Obviously, [Koch] didn't throw the ball the way we wanted him to throw the ball or the way he wanted to throw the ball," Guillen said. "But I'm not giving up on him yet."

Though Koch's struggles last season cost him the closer's role, Guillen said it's too early to pull the plug on him.

"He said, 'Keep your head up, be ready for tomorrow,'" Koch said. "The manager has confidence in me. I think everybody in this room has confidence in me."

:angry:

Win1ForMe
04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Oops...

Cubune article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040414soxgamer,1,7741610.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Thunderstruck30
04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
No I think they're just pretending to have confidence in you.

pudge
04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
We better win by at least four runs tomorrow...

Win1ForMe
04-15-2004, 12:00 AM
I originally missed this. At least he has a sense of humor:

"I appreciate that [Leskanic] pulled a Billy Koch and we were able to win," Koch said. "I thank you, Curt."

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Koch just needs to redifine how he works. He tries to still strike out with power, he just needs to realize that won't happen and try to work around the batter.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
Koch just needs to redifine how he works. He tries to still strike out with power, he just needs to realize that won't happen and try to work around the batter.

Easier said then done with a mental midget. At least his quotes are laugh out loud.

I will guarantee Billy Botch will NOT be in the game tomorrow. He has pitched I believe 3 days in a row, and Ozzie will use that as his excuse. Expect Marte to show his face tomorrow for sure.

Maybe Show will go all 9...

inta
04-15-2004, 04:23 AM
ugh god, shut up already.

there's umpteen million other Koch threads on this forum. why do we need a new one?

koch no doubt deserves another chance. if he ****s that up, then i agree, send him to 1 out middle relief in the danny wright f-ups.

you know why guillen has spent more than a decade in a baseball uniform and you havent?
HE KNOWS BASEBALL.

voodoochile
04-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by inta
ugh god, shut up already.

there's umpteen million other Koch threads on this forum. why do we need a new one?

koch no doubt deserves another chance. if he ****s that up, then i agree, send him to 1 out middle relief in the danny wright f-ups.

you know why guillen has spent more than a decade in a baseball uniform and you havent?
HE KNOWS BASEBALL.

Thanks for playing moderator for a minute. Now please don't do it again...:?:

I think Ozzie is trying to correct the confidence issues that JM seemed to create without even trying. JM messed with everyone's head, the bullpen, the starters, Frank, etc. by acting like a robot and plugging people in and out as he felt a whim and not trying to clearly define their roles. I'm not saying guys should use that as an excuse, but there is a reason most other teams have set starters and regular roles for their pitchers - it lets the player get into a rhythm and baseball is ALL about rhythm.

I expect Koch to get at least one more chance. Again, if he cannot save 90% of the opportunities he gets this year, then he is a failure, but (for example) the Beltran pitch wasn't horrible yesterday. It was straight, but it was also down. He went down and got it with a good piece of hitting.

As things sit right now, the Sox are going to need Koch this season. Ozzie showing confidence in him early on may pay dividends later and if not, they can just bench him after the next blown save...

Kilroy
04-15-2004, 08:11 AM
In Koch's defense, the pitch Beltran hit out was well located and Beltran just beat him. That happens sometimes, especially when a guy is as hot as Beltran is right now.

But, that said, the one Sweeney hit out was served up on a tee, and the pitch that was Randa's double was belt high, middle of the plate, and straight as an arrow.

I don't wanna see Koch again unless the game is a laugher...

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I don't believe Ozzie has confidence in Koch. The reality is, Koch's contract will entitle him to more chances.

I just want Ozzie's leash to be shorter than Jerry Manual's was.

Fungo
04-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Did anyone else happen to hear the report by Bruce Levine this morning on ESPN AM 1000? They had a sound bite of Koch basically saying, and I'm paraphrasing...

Ozzie came looking for me. I was dropping the kids off at the pool when he found me, but he reassured me I was still his guy.

...so he was taking a dump when Ozzie found him. I can't believe he said that, and even more remarkable to me was that Levine or Tom Shaer didn't comment.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Maybe Show will go all 9...

Maybe Buehrle Can, because he's going today, not schoeneweis.

StepsInSC
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
Did anyone else happen to hear the report by Bruce Levine this morning on ESPN AM 1000? They had a sound bite of Koch basically saying, and I'm paraphrasing...

...so he was taking a dump when Ozzie found him. I can't believe he said that, and even more remarkable to me was that Levine or Tom Shaer didn't comment.

LMAO! Did he actually say "dropping the kids off at the pool"??

Dan H
04-15-2004, 09:42 AM
I know I have a hard time having confidence in Koch since that ninth inning performance was nothing new. It is obvious that he cannot blow hitters away any more. He has to become more of a pitcher than a thrower, or we are going to see more multi-run leads blown this season. Everything hit against Koch was a shot.

Fungo
04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
LMAO! Did he actually say "dropping the kids off at the pool"?? like I said, the quote may not be exact, but those words are. Honest to God he said that.

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by inta

Because he sucks.

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Fungo

It's good to know that Botch works with a similar medium after the game as he does during the game.