PDA

View Full Version : Is Loaiza ok?

Whitesox029
04-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Am I the only one who is a little worried about all the "fluke" talk about E-Lo? Even though he's 2-0 he hasn't exactly dominated yet the way he did in certain games last year.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
I dont think his cutter is as potent. Last year it was his new pitch and guys just needed to see it a few times. Plus, there might be over-thinking his pitches. I think he will be fine, but not as dominant as in the first half of last season.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 12:19 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040414&content_id=709654&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

That should answer some questions

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Luckily we have the offense this year to on occasion make up for a STARTING pitchers bad outing.

We can't keep bailing out the bullpen, though.

CubKilla
04-15-2004, 12:23 AM
ELo is fine. There was a stiff wind blowing out yesterday and he still kept the White Sox in the game early on by keeping a potent KC offense at bay.

batmanZoSo
04-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

We can't keep bailing out the bullpen, though.

We only did once.

Win1ForMe
04-15-2004, 01:05 AM
This was in the newest Gammons column:

One of them was against the White Sox, but one scout following them says, "they're still pretty good. Esteban Loaiza looks just good as he did last year, 89-91 (mph) with command of that great cutter with the ability to find a 94 when he needs it, despite an off outing in his second start. And Scott Schoeneweis looked like a different pitcher in his debut with that new cutter and a change." Schoeneweis learned the cutter this spring, and says for the first time in spring training he found a changeup grip that worked.

He was 86-88 mph yesterday so that should explain some of it. Of course, Ozzie has left him in for too long for two straight games. Each time Loaiza has ended up getting an extra earned run because of it.

SEALgep
04-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
This was in the newest Gammons column:

He was 86-88 mph yesterday so that should explain some of it. Of course, Ozzie has left him in for too long for two straight games. Each time Loaiza has ended up getting an extra earned run because of it. He probably needs to get stretched out a little more. Pitching in the cold probably didn't help either. Still, I'll take 2-0.

Win1ForMe
04-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Still, I'll take 2-0.

Yeah, I'll :gulp: to that.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Don't worry-

From the trib:

Cooper said that in his starts in spring training and so far this season, Loaiza hasn't stayed "behind the ball" like he did last season.

Instead of being straight over the top in his delivery, Loaiza's arm-angle has changed slightly, resulting in a loss of velocity and command.

"I'm flying open and tilting back toward second base," Loaiza explained. "I'm throwing more from the side."

They are going to correct the problem with some side throwing sessions. I'll take that explanation.

mrwag
04-15-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm sure they will work these little kinks out, but I don't think we can realisticaly expect 21 wins out of him this year. I don't want to say he was a "fluke", but he's a solid pitcher none-the-less and is good for high teens. Give him some time, he'll be fine. I'm more worried about the lower starting pitchers.

habibharu
04-15-2004, 10:45 AM
i am definately worried about ELO. he has to work out his problems with coop. 4 hrs already.