PDA

View Full Version : Twins have pen problems too?

MRKARNO
04-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Joe Nathan was brought in the 9th with a 7 run lead, gave up 3 runs and allowed the tying run to be on deck. Is he the closer or is that Rincon, who relieved him and promptly got the final out?

Sounds like the Twins, Royals and Sox all have their fair share of bullpen problems.

But those two dont have an offense like the sox and the Twins' rotation is only arguably as good as the sox'. The Royals' staff looks like they pitch at coors field every start.

nodiggity59
04-14-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree.

Also, looking towards midseason acquisitions the Royals probably maxed out payroll with their signings and the Twins certainly don't have any cash.

I think our problems are not only no worse than theirs but also we can fix them. Basically, all we need is a closer, maybe another starter. The Twins and Royals need that and more - and they won't get it.

MRKARNO
04-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Basically, all we need is a closer, maybe another starter.

Agreed about the starter, disagree about the closer.

I think we already have a multitude of options for closer not named Koch. Politte has looked great and probably should be high on the Koch replacement list. Marte will be fine (aka sub 3 ERA). One name that should be at least considered is Mike Jackson. All he's done is get the outs so far. I know he's 39, but he could still be effective.

fhqwhgads
04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
But those two dont have an offense like the sox...

Team R HR BA OBP SLG
CWS 54 12 .299 .361 .498
MIN 53 13 .308 .385 .516
KC 42 13 .279 .346 .471

Thought you might want to see the numbers to go with that statement. Seems pretty comparable to me.

34 Inch Stick
04-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Did you happen to take a look at the quality of competition and pitching when posting those numbers?

I agree that the Royals have a very dangerous lineup. Berroa, Beltran, Sweeney and Gonzalez are all star caliber hitters.

The Twins on the other hand do not have any hitters who are all star caliber (as a hitter, not as a complete player).

thepaulbowski
04-15-2004, 12:15 PM
What I think all of this means is that the Sox should be able to to win this weak division.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Team R HR BA OBP SLG
CWS 54 12 .299 .361 .498
MIN 53 13 .308 .385 .516
KC 42 13 .279 .346 .471

Thought you might want to see the numbers to go with that statement. Seems pretty comparable to me.

You better be able to score runs against Cleveland, who has absolutely heinous pitching, and Detroit, who can hit a little, but still has a horrible staff.

Nice formatting, BTW.

fhqwhgads
04-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You better be able to score runs against Cleveland, who has absolutely heinous pitching, and Detroit, who can hit a little, but still has a horrible staff.

NYY is 7th and KC is 11th in AL for ERA. CLE and DET are 6th and 4th, respectively. Looks like the Twins have faced better pitching so far. :D:

Nice formatting, BTW.

I find that nifty monospacing thing to be quite useful for stats. It makes my eyes hurt less.

Iwritecode
04-15-2004, 01:04 PM
NYY is 7th and KC is 11th in AL for ERA. CLE and DET are 6th and 4th, respectively. Looks like the Twins have faced better pitching so far. :D:

I think the Sox are a big reason why NY is 7th and KC is 11th...

jabrch
04-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Agreed about the starter, disagree about the closer.

Politte has looked great and probably should be high on the Koch replacement list.

Is that you Mrs. Politte? :-)

Politte has been terrible. Too many walks, too many hits. Yuck.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 01:17 PM

Exactly what Iwritecode said, the Sox are a big reason why. K.C. is about equal to Cleveland and Detroit in, but you can't compare the Yankees. And those were half of our games.

fhqwhgads
04-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
...the Sox are a big reason why...

Originally posted by Iwritecode
I think the Sox are a big reason why NY is 7th and KC is 11th...

While I see your point, you must admit that the logic is extraordinarily circular. Anyone can blame any stat on the opposition, or blame an opponent's stat on your team's abilities. What you can't do (at least without looking silly) is to look at it one way to make your team look good and then the opposite way to make a different team look mediocre.

So, what you're saying is that the Twins' offense is due to the sucky stats of the Twins' opposition, and the sucky stats of the Sox' opposition are due to the Sox offense. That logic, while living up to being Totally Biased (tm), is inherently flawed.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 02:21 PM
There aren't enough games played to look at it any other way...b/c you can't possibly think the Tigers and the Indians will have better pitching numbers at the end of the season than the Yankees.

Iwritecode
04-15-2004, 02:41 PM
While I see your point, you must admit that the logic is extraordinarily circular. Anyone can blame any stat on the opposition, or blame an opponent's stat on your team's abilities. What you can't do (at least without looking silly) is to look at it one way to make your team look good and then the opposite way to make a different team look mediocre.

So, what you're saying is that the Twins' offense is due to the sucky stats of the Twins' opposition, and the sucky stats of the Sox' opposition are due to the Sox offense. That logic, while living up to being Totally Biased (tm), is inherently flawed.

We can't honestly compare the offenses of the two clubs until the Twins play the Yankees and Royals and the Sox play the Indians and Tigers...

pearso66
04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
well then we wont know until the end of July when the Sox finally play the Tigers.