PDA

View Full Version : Wunsch ALMOST traded to BoSox

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Ironically, considering Mark Bellhorn's early on-base percentage (.424 through seven games), they had a deal the last week of spring training that would have sent Bellhorn to the White Sox for Kelly Wunsch but backed off when they got word that Wunsch had arm problems.

gammons link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1782139)

boston turned the deal down becuase of kelly's arm. i dont think we should trade wunsch for another utility guy, so im glad it didnt happen.

dickallen15
04-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Its interesting that Boston thinks he has an arm problem, but the White Sox say its a oblique muscle problem.

StepsInSC
04-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Definitely interesting. But seriously, trading away one of our most reliable arms for ANOTHER bat?? Cmon!

Dadawg_77
04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
If we have traded for Bellhorn, Willie would be in AAA.

lowesox
04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that would have been a stupid trade.

Nick@Nite
04-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Definitely interesting. But seriously, trading away one of our most reliable arms for ANOTHER bat?? Cmon! Agree.

Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If we have traded for Bellhorn, Willie would be in AAA. And trade bait for bullpen help.

Memo to Kelly Wunsch: get well FAST, the bull pen needs you!

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I wonder if Wunsch was the guy KW was ticked off about at the end of ST.

Brian26
04-14-2004, 08:49 PM
This must be the trade Reinsdorf was referring to on the Score last week as crumbling at the last minute because of an injury. We were all assuming the guy we were going to get was injured, but in fact, it was the guy we were TRADING that got hurt.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Funny when I brought this up over the weekend (about dealing one of the few reliable pitchers in the pen) I was told Wunsch 'only' pitches about 30 innings a year and getting a second baseman is more important.

Wonder how that poster feels now?

Lip

Jjav829
04-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This must be the trade Reinsdorf was referring to on the Score last week as crumbling at the last minute because of an injury. We were all assuming the guy we were going to get was injured, but in fact, it was the guy we were TRADING that got hurt.

Well what he said was true. He didn't say that the guy we were gonna trade for got hurt, he said someone on another team got hurt and that derailed the trade. That would be true because of Nomar's injury which forced the Red Sox hand because they had to keep Bellhorn once Nomar went down.

Hangar18
04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
I already "Scooped" you guys on this trade in a thread about Reinsdorf last week sometime. This was the "Big Trade" that was gonna go down, but "someone got hurt", which was Nomar.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
gammons link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1782139)

boston turned the deal down becuase of kelly's arm. i dont think we should trade wunsch for another utility guy, so im glad it didnt happen.

UTILITY GUY? He would be our starting second baseman and way more solid than anything we currently have. He had a killer year for the Cubs two years ago, poor year last year, and has started well this year again.

34 Inch Stick
04-15-2004, 10:37 AM
He might start for us (both Willie and Uribe are Kenny guys though), but on a good team he is a utility player.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He might start for us (both Willie and Uribe are Kenny guys though), but on a good team he is a utility player.

Totally understood, and agreed if you change "might start for us" to "unequivocally WOULD start for us."

habibharu
04-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
This must be the trade Reinsdorf was referring to on the Score last week as crumbling at the last minute because of an injury. We were all assuming the guy we were going to get was injured, but in fact, it was the guy we were TRADING that got hurt. i dont think that it was. i think that the player who got hurt was Nomar

soxfan26
04-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
i dont think that it was. i think that the player who got hurt was Nomar

Nomar for Wunsch?

Fridaythe13thJason
04-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Boston wasn't going to trade Nomar if they weren't getting A-Rod.

MRKARNO
04-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
Boston wasn't going to trade Nomar if they weren't getting A-Rod.

You mean they werent going to go through the year with Pokey Reese as their Starting SS?

Fridaythe13thJason
04-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You mean they werent going to go through the year with Pokey Reese as their Starting SS?

Ha, like my terrible terrible fantasy team? :smile:

IlliniSox
04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Ha, like my terrible terrible fantasy team? :smile:

I thought I was the only one, long year ahead...

Hangar18
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
How do I "paste" a post I made in another thread here?
"reinsdorf on 670 the score"

santo=dorf
04-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
How do I "paste" a post I made in another thread here?
"reinsdorf on 670 the score"
Why not post a link to the thread? I remember you posting it. :D:

My Cub fan friend thinks he might have been on steroids in 2002. In 2003 he was terrible despite playing in Colorado.

StockdaleForVeep
04-15-2004, 01:39 PM
we dont need yet another former cub hitter who had 1 par season

munchman33
04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
UTILITY GUY? He would be our starting second baseman and way more solid than anything we currently have. He had a killer year for the Cubs two years ago, poor year last year, and has started well this year again.

The league just caught up to him last year. He's garbage. For God's sake, he couldn't hit in Coors Field! I could hit in Coors field. If you don't believe me, listen to this scouting report on him from ESPN:

"Bellhorn's weaknesses have been exposed: just keep the ball away from him and he won't come close. He is overmatched by sinkers and sliders. His only hope is when a pitcher tries to overpower him and gets the ball out over the plate. Bellhorn can play a lot of positions, but none well enough to be an everyday player. He doesn't have the quickness needed at third base nor the lateral movement to handle second. He also can fill in briefly at short, play first and left field. He has decent speed but isn't a steal threat."

jeremyb1
04-15-2004, 03:22 PM

Yeah, that's what Sports Weekly said.