PDA

View Full Version : Gammons on sox on ESPNews

StepsInSC
04-14-2004, 07:29 PM
He's talking right now, anyways he said something I thought was interesting for a change. Crede and Thomas are 1-2 in the majors in lowest percentage of missed swings (thats a mouthful). Guess thats something positive to think about.

nodiggity59
04-14-2004, 07:44 PM
What else did he say about the Sox, if anything?

RKMeibalane
04-14-2004, 07:50 PM
As of last weekend, Frank was leading the league in the number of pitches per at-bat. I'm glad that he's still being selective, even though the hits aren't falling yet.

StepsInSC
04-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
What else did he say about the Sox, if anything?

He said that Crede was one of the most improved players in the league, plus some stuff we already know. He praised the offense, said it was a dangerous lineup.

He then went on to rightfully bash the bullpen, as well as KCs. And of course commented on the fact that it is the AL Central though, so even with glaring holes we could easily take the thing.

sas1974
04-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
He said that Crede was one of the most improved players in the league, plus some stuff we already know. He praised the offense, said it was a dangerous lineup.

He then went on to rightfully bash the bullpen, as well as KCs. And of course commented on the fact that it is the AL Central though, so even with glaring holes we could easily take the thing.

Wait. Now he's saying WE could take the thing?

StepsInSC
04-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Wait. Now he's saying WE could take the thing?

Well I'm paraphrasing from memory. He was just saying that KC's bullpen isn't in a whole lot better shape, and the Central should be a good race this year.

dickallen15
04-14-2004, 08:00 PM

I hope he takes it back. A Gammons endorsement is a kiss of death.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As of last weekend, Frank was leading the league in the number of pitches per at-bat. I'm glad that he's still being selective, even though the hits aren't falling yet.

He's doing his thing, and the hits will come. It always looks worse to start out 10-50 or whatever he is, than to have a stretch like that in July. He always gets on base, so he doesn't kill us when he's slumping.

Chisox_cali
04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Crede can take some funky swings and foul balls off. He did that a lot in '03 and it's continuing this season. Some of those swings get a good laugh out of Hawk. :smile:

Whitesox029
04-15-2004, 12:06 AM
He's talking right now, anyways he said something I thought was interesting for a change. Crede and Thomas are 1-2 in the majors in lowest percentage of missed swings (thats a mouthful). Guess thats something positive to think about.
That's really grabbing at straws for something positive...that's something you'd say about two pirates hitters, not being able to say anything else nice about the pirates. If you want to talk positivve about the sax, talk PK, Maggs, Big MO and Burlymon.

Tragg
04-15-2004, 12:22 AM
If Joe can keep it up, perhaps he can switch spots in the order with Jose

Jose is definitely not a number 2 hitter

pudge
04-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
If Joe can keep it up, perhaps he can switch spots in the order with Jose

Jose is definitely not a number 2 hitter

If I remember, we won a division title with Jose at #2.

Thunderstruck30
04-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As of last weekend, Frank was leading the league in the number of pitches per at-bat.

Well yeah, he did have that 18 pitch at bat.

RedPinStripes
04-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by pudge
If I remember, we won a division title with Jose at #2.

That wasa career season for him too. Some say Crede is too slow for the 2 spot. He's at least faster then Ventura and he hit there for at least 5 years.

SoxxoS
04-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
That wasa career season for him too. Some say Crede is too slow for the 2 spot. He's at least faster then Ventura and he hit there for at least 5 years.

I think this is going to be Jose's new career season...although I think he is better suited hitting 6th or 7th...he breaks up Maggs, Thomas, CLee and Konerko and Crede all righties.

Jeremy Reed needs to get healthy and start hitting, because
a)This team would look great with a hitter like him in the 2 hole
b)This team is not going to be playing K.C.'s all lefty staff all season.

He would being just what we need to this lineup. I don't want to rush him, and want him to get healthy before we bring him up.

SSN721
04-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
That's really grabbing at straws for something positive...that's something you'd say about two pirates hitters, not being able to say anything else nice about the pirates. If you want to talk positivve about the sax, talk PK, Maggs, Big MO and Burlymon.

Yeah I agree with that. I think that the great thing about Frank though is it always seems he practically has a 50/50 shot of at the very least drawing a walk. ANd even if he doesnt a lot of his at bats are a battle and waste good pitches. I have to say I am ecstatic at the way Olivo has been playing so far though. Hes turning into the player I would hope he would become after seeing how he played last year.

white sox bill
04-15-2004, 07:30 AM
He's talking right now, anyways he said something I thought was interesting for a change. Crede and Thomas are 1-2 in the majors in lowest percentage of missed swings (thats a mouthful). Guess thats something positive to think about. '

Missed swings now? The stat heads have a reached new nerdism and they are bored. Now I wanna know, where these "missed swings" with a black or white bat? And were they with or without chewing gum? And to complete the picture, were the pitchers left or right handers and were their uniforms even or odd numbers? Please statters, be more consise!!

maurice
04-15-2004, 11:30 AM
CLee did great in the 2 spot last season. Time to put him back where he belongs and move Valentin down, where he can break up the Sox long string of righty hitters.

Baby Fisk
04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
'

Missed swings now? The stat heads have a reached new nerdism and they are bored. Now I wanna know, where these "missed swings" with a black or white bat? And were they with or without chewing gum? And to complete the picture, were the pitchers left or right handers and were their uniforms even or odd numbers? Please statters, be more consise!!
Don't forget missed swings in white, grey or alternate jerseys. The Sox are a team that plays a higher percentage of road games in alternate black as opposed to other teams, so that would come into play. And don't get me started on # of pitches shaken off by the pitcher prior to delivery...