PDA

View Full Version : Huge Win For Sox

ukigdog
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I think this game is a huge win for the sox....

1. In 2000, the sox had many games where they would come back like this, but not so many since. We know what happened in 2000.

2. This game was a total 360 degree turn of emotions from yes a win, to oh no Kroch, to yes what a comeback! Always good to have this.

3. I think us winning turned this sereies from oh no, we may lose tomm, its a shaky game to yes, we can sweep now.

4. It gives us confidence and momentum.

5. It may be a turning point in the season, it would be nice now to see us go on a 6-7 game streak.

Well have to see what happens, but i love the new Go-Go-Sox!!

KruseControl04
04-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Today's game almost gave me a heart attack.

emaholic
04-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ukigdog
2. This game was a total 360 degree turn of emotions from yes a win, to oh no Kroch, to yes what a comeback! Always good to have this.

It definitely was. I found myself going...YAY!...NAY!...YAY! It was quite a rush to be at the game. I was on the edge of my seat, that's for sure.

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Means nothing. The Royals will be ready to play.

SoxxoS
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Means nothing. The Royals will be ready to play.

Agreed. Just as we were the game following the last blown Koch 9th inning lead...on opening day.

This game won't effect the Royals.

Iguana775
04-14-2004, 09:15 PM
means nothing my ass. this game proves how much better we are off with Ozzie than JM. last year, they would have just laid down and took it in the rear. they finally have heart. now if they found a closer. maybe Wright can find his nitch as a closer. he used to have a good fastball. i wonder if he can handle just 1 inning of work.

bafiarocks03
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Billy Koch giving up those homers!my god! heart attack! definetly!!! then paulee ties it up! oh u knwo it! then Joey comes and gets the big hit!! ya go SOX!!!!

:crede

oheeoh...magglio
04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
means nothing my ass. this game proves how much better we are off with Ozzie than JM. last year, they would have just laid down and took it in the rear. they finally have heart. now if they found a closer. maybe Wright can find his nitch as a closer. he used to have a good fastball. i wonder if he can handle just 1 inning of work.

You bring up a good point here. I'm not sure if the stats will back me up on this, but it seems like Wright does well normally the first time through the order when he pitches, but then struggles later.

Maybe if we made him a closer or even set up guy for marte, he could be a lot more effective. Maybe he has the kind of stuff that is easy to adjust to once you've had some at bats in game, and he can be more effective in the pen, it's worth a shot.

Also, I am just counting down the days until Neal Cotts takes Wright's spot in the rotation. Cotts looks like a totally different pitcher this year, he has great stuff, and also appears to have improved his control tenfold on the hill.

iwannago
04-14-2004, 09:49 PM
A W is a W. What would we be saying if we lost? Be happy with a win.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
A W is a W. What would we be saying if we lost? Be happy with a win.

:jerry
"Not necessarily so, Wannago. Take for example, when we were in Yankee Stadium last September. Now it was really important to win that series because we were in a battle for the division championship. So when we won the first two games, it was okay to lose the last game especially because that set us up to play tough against the 119-loss Tigers. So Cotts lost in Yankee Stadium (just the way I drew it up on the chalkboard) and Buehrle didn't have it the next night in Detroit, either. Okay, that last part didn't work too well, but we didn't finally blow it for another two weeks when I brought Paniaqua in to face the one and only team that could beat us for the division title... and obviously proves that it really was okay to blow that game in Yankee Stadium, because we didn't finally blow it for another two weeks.

"Like I said last July, the first-half of the season my job is to try to play everyone and make sure everyone is comfortable. After that winning becomes more important. So if you ask me, a W is only a W when it occurs sometime after the all-star break. So talk to me about being concerned about wins and losses sometime in late-July, okay?"

mike squires
04-14-2004, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Means nothing. The Royals will be ready to play. [/QUOTE

Are you kidding me? This was a huge game for the Whitesox! A Come from behind win like this ESPECIALLY after KC seemingly deflated us. Games like this build character, buids team chemistry, gain confidence, makes other teams notice...This game was huge!!!

Nick@Nite
04-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
:jerry
"Not necessarily so, Wannago. Take for example, when we were in Yankee Stadium last September. Now it was really important to win that series because we were in a battle for the division championship. So when we won the first two games, it was okay to lose the last game especially because that set us up to play tough against the 119-loss Tigers. So Cotts lost in Yankee Stadium (just the way I drew it up on the chalkboard) and Buehrle didn't have it the next night in Detroit, either. Okay, that last part didn't work too well, but we didn't finally blow it for another two weeks when I brought Paniaqua in to face the one and only team that could beat us for the division title... and obviously proves that it really was okay to blow that game in Yankee Stadium, because we didn't finally blow it for another two weeks.

"Like I said last July, the first-half of the season my job is to try to play everyone and make sure everyone is comfortable. After that winning becomes more important. So if you ask me, a W is only a W when it occurs sometime after the all-star break. So talk to me about being concerned about wins and losses sometime in late-July, okay?"

PHG... your obviously a good Sox fan. Be fruitful and multiply! :D:

HITMEN OF 77
04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Koch made me so mad, but that was the best Sox game I have ever been to. What a great bottom of the 9th. Heartattack central. I had a blast. My first game at Comiskey in 7 years and it was worth the flight out and I still have 4 games to go!!

batmanZoSo
04-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
You bring up a good point here. I'm not sure if the stats will back me up on this, but it seems like Wright does well normally the first time through the order when he pitches, but then struggles later.

Maybe if we made him a closer or even set up guy for marte, he could be a lot more effective. Maybe he has the kind of stuff that is easy to adjust to once you've had some at bats in game, and he can be more effective in the pen, it's worth a shot.

Also, I am just counting down the days until Neal Cotts takes Wright's spot in the rotation. Cotts looks like a totally different pitcher this year, he has great stuff, and also appears to have improved his control tenfold on the hill.

Everyone thought Koch was "back" after the Yankee series...and he isn't.

Cotts hasn't proven jack squat. He's no savior until he proves he can get guys out over 6 or 7 innings.

Cubbiesuck13
04-14-2004, 10:26 PM
I don't think that the Oz will let Kotch off the hook after just this. This was a huge gaffe but think about all the great closers who break down for no apparent reason. I think Kotch has just lost his edge. I also think that he will be out there for more save opps. I am still ticked that the game took that turn but I was thinking bad thoughts on that play by Jose that could have been the end of the inning, but I do not blame him for the loss. Poor execution again by the D. more specificly by Jose.

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Everyone thought Koch was "back" after the Yankee series...

I sure didn't. And, for the record, I think Schoeneweis will get hammered in his next start, and Konerko will take a couple of months off. (Though I'm glad PK's hot streak came early this season.)

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
it seems like Wright does well normally the first time through the order when he pitches, but then struggles later.

Funny, he seems just the opposite to me. He very often has a rough first inning, then settles down for a while.

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Games like this build character, buids team chemistry, gain confidence, makes other teams notice...This game was huge!!!

The Royals have been really good at bouncing back from painful defeats, and they DID come back from a 6-run lead today. If they beat us tomorrow, today's game couldn't really have meant much, right?

rahulsekhar
04-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by ukigdog
I think this game is a huge win for the sox....

1. In 2000, the sox had many games where they would come back like this, but not so many since. We know what happened in 2000.

4. It gives us confidence and momentum.

5. It may be a turning point in the season, it would be nice now to see us go on a 6-7 game streak.

Well have to see what happens, but i love the new Go-Go-Sox!!

Let's not lose the total accomplishment of the team in the 9th inning victory. The guys showed me a lot when after Garland's meltdown to cut the lead to 1 run, they came out and put up a 2 spot. Then when Kochsucker was done, they put up the 2 more needed to win. The ability to put up runs late, withstand momentum shifts, and not fold under pressure is something that was sorely lacking the past few years and is a testament IMO to Ozzie & the attititude change.

To all those who thought Ozzie was hired because he was cheap and a fan favorite (and you know who you are): I think it's quite likely that he won the job by demonstrating in the interviews that he has the ability to make this a high-chemistry, "heart" team. Kudos to management on the hire.

SSN721
04-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I think that wins like this do build character. I also think that if we lost this game in the way we might have, it would have put the idea in the Royals head that they can never be counted out no matter how much they are down by. And I know some of you say that they are professionals and always play hard but if they won, to beat the Sox in that comeback fashion in just over a weeks time, it would have to really instill their confidence. They now know that this team will not lay down when the momentum shifts, something they never saw last year because it was either score enough early to win, or comeback and the Sox would lose because they rarely score late. I think this is good for the Sox too because it also shows them that they are capable of coming back from a deficit and momentum shift, even in the last half inning of the game.