PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Comment from CUB fan Regarding The Cell

Hangar18
04-14-2004, 04:17 PM
I chatted with this guy at the Stickfigure show, and at first, I was giving the guy the business, but he took it and complimented SOX fans in general for our Passion. He said what he saw of the renovations, he really liked, and said this will go a long way to getting "Other" fans to like the park. I agreed with him, the guy was the 2% cub fan (knows his baseball, and what hes talking about) and I told him I liked his knowledge, calling him a Sox fan in Cub clothing. However, he said something that was very candid, and striking, and something thats been echoed in threads around here a few times.
John Cub Fan said the he absolutely HATED how Humongous the Billboards were in the Outfield, and how the "cheapened" the overall look and seems to NOT fit in with the rest of the stadium.
My Jaw Dropped..............I complimented him and told those "kennedy-expressway sized" billboards have no business being inside, theyre BLAND, Characterless, and Completely OUT OF SCALE with the rest of the place. Crazy huh?

Blueprint1
04-14-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't really mind the Billboards. I really dont care if they keep them in the park.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I chatted with this guy at the Stickfigure show, and at first, I was giving the guy the business, but he took it and complimented SOX fans in general for our Passion. He said what he saw of the renovations, he really liked, and said this will go a long way to getting "Other" fans to like the park. I agreed with him, the guy was the 2% cub fan (knows his baseball, and what hes talking about) and I told him I liked his knowledge, calling him a Sox fan in Cub clothing. However, he said something that was very candid, and striking, and something thats been echoed in threads around here a few times.
John Cub Fan said the he absolutely HATED how Humongous the Billboards were in the Outfield, and how the "cheapened" the overall look and seems to NOT fit in with the rest of the stadium.
My Jaw Dropped..............I complimented him and told those "kennedy-expressway sized" billboards have no business being inside, theyre BLAND, Characterless, and Completely OUT OF SCALE with the rest of the place. Crazy huh?

I totally agree. You can have ads everywhere for all I care. I don't mind ads, but vary it up. Make them interesting, etc. If left field were a big coke bottle like SBC Park, or some other 3-D ad, I would like it. One billboard could be okay, but not three.

thepaulbowski
04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
So people don't go to games because of the billboards, please. Yankee Stadium has billboards all over it and they draw millions each year. I wonder why?????

SoxFan76
04-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
So people don't go to games because of the billboards, please. Yankee Stadium has billboards all over it and they draw millions each year. I wonder why?????

I think the number 26 has something to do with it.

soxnut
04-14-2004, 05:55 PM
The billboard argument is ridiculous.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Check out this thread about another Cub fan's comments on The Cell and Sox fans.

LINK (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=356935#post356935)

sas1974
04-14-2004, 06:01 PM
No more propaganda about the aesthetic deficiencies of the park! It would be cool if they were more creative, but it's not a big deal. Those signs are there for one reason. $$$! At least they are on a wall that is part of the structure of the park. I would prefer that over a hokey 100ft hot dog, Coke bottle or anything else.

pinwheels3530
04-14-2004, 07:57 PM
WHINING WHINING??? SOX WIN!! SOX WIN!!!

mdep524
04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

I have to agree, this whole billboard thing is really ridiculous. They're fine, it's not an issue. The White Sox in general and Comiskey Park in specific have bigger fish to fry.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I have to agree, this whole billboard thing is really ridiculous. They're fine, it's not an issue. The White Sox in general and Comiskey Park in specific have bigger fish to fry.

You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply.

LMAO!
:D:

Yorke97
04-14-2004, 11:16 PM
New Comiskey was clearly designed to be a next generation Yankee stadium: Three seating levels pole to pole, billboard all across the outfield, and that formerly white ironwoks inbetween the billboards. You can't blame them for trying to stick with a plan that works. The difference between Yankee Stadium and USCF is that one field is host to a historical winning team.

Railsplitter
04-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The billboard argument is ridiculous.

Very true. I remember during the votes to allow night games at the Urinal, Schlub fans whined about "Downstate Cardinal inluences", yet there were Budweiser signs under the center field scoreboard.

By the way, in every film clip or picture I have seen of Brooklyn's Ebbets Field, the outfield walls are covered in billboards. So what's so wrong with doing it now?

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Yorke97
New Comiskey was clearly designed to be a next generation Yankee stadium: Three seating levels pole to pole, billboard all across the outfield, and that formerly white ironwoks inbetween the billboards. You can't blame them for trying to stick with a plan that works. The difference between Yankee Stadium and USCF is that one field is host to a historical winning team.

Ding! Ding! Ding! (Applause)

wdelaney72
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Let's not confuse Cubdom or Wrigleyville with Cub fans. I know a lot of Cub fans who are very good baseball fans (all of which, have no problem recognizing the Cell as a comfortable, beautiful ballpark to watch a game). These people are of the minority at the Shrine. Many can't even get tickets to a game this year.