PDA

View Full Version : Renovations, Phase 5

CorkNKerrys
04-14-2004, 02:13 PM
So, the world has seen the new renovations to US Cellular, making Phase 4 the most ambitious so far. No public announcement has been made about Phase 5 yet. What could it be, or rather, what should it be?

I say paint the seats. Blue has no business on the South Side.

skobabe8
04-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Here we go again!! :smile:

Tekijawa
04-14-2004, 02:32 PM
MORE BATHROOMS

NonetheLoaiza
04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
Here we go again!! :smile:

i think i know what the most popular answer is going to be

SEALgep
04-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Green seats (wich they said so in the pregame opener), and a home run porch in right (which wasn't said but would be cool.)

Randar68
04-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Green seats (wich they said so in the pregame opener), and a home run porch in right (which wasn't said but would be cool.)

To me, more important than any of that are these things in order of priority:

1) Ramps must be removed and moved indoors. Sox offices to a seperate building
2) Grand Entrance in the LF corner with a White Sox HOF and enclosed ramps
3) RF HR porch
4) Green seats

JMHO, but 1 and 2 would be non-negotiable IMO.

Blueprint1
04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
I was in the skyboxes yesterday and i found that if the ramps were removed the hallways for the skyboxes would have to be removed also. How would they work around this?

soxnut
04-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
To me, more important than any of that are these things in order of priority:

1) Ramps must be removed and moved indoors. Sox offices to a seperate building
2) Grand Entrance in the LF corner with a White Sox HOF and enclosed ramps
3) RF HR porch
4) Green seats

JMHO, but 1 and 2 would be non-negotiable IMO.

I'm with you on that.

mweflen
04-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Anybody catch DJ's quote about the green seats in today's broadcast?

He was speaking as if it were a foregone conclusion. I hope so!

soxnut
04-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep

Who said this?How was it brought up?

Randar68
04-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Who said this?How was it brought up?

The head of the ISFA has already said he thinks green seats are a priority. 13 year old seats...

soxnut
04-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The head of the ISFA has already said he thinks green seats are a priority. 13 year old seats...

Ok, but was this what was said on the pregame opener?

dickallen15
04-14-2004, 05:14 PM
I think its a forgone conclusion green seats will be next. Last year the scoreboard and dugouts were green, this year, the padding. Its obvious its next. Are green seats more comfortable than blue ones?

SEALgep
04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Ok, but was this what was said on the pregame opener? On Opening Day, yes. Mitch said it.

Streets
04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Is anyone else tired of this obsession with green seats and the constant need for improvement of the ballpark? Just let it go!!

Here's all you need to fill the seats every game: a winning team.

Improvements that could be made would be outside of the ballpark, some restaurants and burger stands, a couple bars even and you are set.

All I know is that I pay $16 or whatever it is now to park my car outside the stadium, I would love to be able to walk somewhere before or after the game and grab a bite to eat and just chill. I'm not asking for a Lakeview, just something!

dickallen15
04-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Streets
Is anyone else tired of this obsession with green seats and the constant need for improvement of the ballpark? Just let it go!!

Here's all you need to fill the seats every game: a winning team.

Improvements that could be made would be outside of the ballpark, some restaurants and burger stands, a couple bars even and you are set.

All I know is that I pay $16 or whatever it is now to park my car outside the stadium, I would love to be able to walk somewhere before or after the game and grab a bite to eat and just chill. I'm not asking for a Lakeview, just something!

I agree with you. Keep the park as is, and spend the money on a couple of bars/restaurants.

Rush20
04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Yep, DJ slipped today and said something like "Wait until they put the green seats in here, then the the ballpark will really look retro".

Based on what I've read, it's a foregone conclusion that they play to put in dark green seats during the Phase V rennovations next off-season. I also read they plan to fill in the umpire tunnel and add a home run porch (whatever that is) in right field. If so, both those projects would require new seats, therefore I doubt the SOX would install brand new blue seats. The current ones are 15 years old and new seats (dark green) would certainly help feshen up the ballpark even more.

Regarding right field, I just hope we don't have another fan deck-type structure. I like the center field fan deck and it needs to remain unique. A true upper deck in right field, combined with a new grand entrance/hall of fame in left field plus the new seats should be able to be completed with the remaining funds. If not, time to sell some more sponsorships. The SOX Hall Of Fame Restaurant sponsored by.....

I also read they are considering installing outside balconies similar to the one the completed in the left field corner during Phase IV for all lower skybox suites. I think that's a good idea and would further push the retro theme.

ShoelessFred
04-14-2004, 05:31 PM
:threadsucks

CHISOXFAN13
04-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred

Couldn't agree more. I mean, how many more times do we have to beat this horse.

I predict someone else starts a thread about phase five in two days.

Jerko
04-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Couldn't agree more. I mean, how many more times do we have to beat this horse.

I predict someone else starts a thread about phase five in two days.

For the 905th time,

SEALgep
04-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
Yep, DJ slipped today and said something like "Wait until they put the green seats in here, then the the ballpark will really look retro".

He didn't slip, they said they were doing it during the pre-game for the home opener.

Frank the Tank
04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by CorkNKerrys
So, the world has seen the new renovations to US Cellular, making Phase 4 the most ambitious so far. No public announcement has been made about Phase 5 yet. What could it be, or rather, what should it be?

I say paint the seats. Blue has no business on the South Side.

Free community beer taps and slot machines in the concourses.

RedPinStripes
04-14-2004, 08:55 PM
When is phase I of bullpen improvement?

rahulsekhar
04-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Screw the seats, home run porch, etc. Take any $$$ available for phase 5 and put it into adding buildings outside the stadium to house bars, restaurants, offices, etc. The stadium is plenty nice as it is, add some things to do around there to make the overall experience of a Sox game better.

That also has the benefit of making the area more popular, which can start a positive cycle of increased attendance, better publicity & media treatment, and further increases in attendance. And the ciy will like it because it helps to revitalize the already improving area (and the Mayor likes things that help improve the Sox).

IronFisk
04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I've said upteenth times before that the blue seats will stay, NOW I think they will go - that padding sure looks sweet!

As for the other ideas along with the seats, look for a modest balcony over the RF concourse, and just maybe a grand entrance - but probably not. I cannot see them ever moving the ramps inside, and if they did, that would be WAY too expensive and time consuming. As for me, yeah, the ramps look like hell, but they are on the outside, and everything around the park is just parking - big deal - lipstick on a pig.

blueeyes33
04-15-2004, 12:52 AM
there NOT NOT NOT going to build taverns and clubs around sox park.whatever is there is there.the neighborhood doesnt want this to be wrigleyville.this is a middleclass family residential neighborhood. wriggleyville is not and is filled with younger people.

green seats would be cool.eventho i didnt wanna talk about that.but i want uncomfterable wooden ones back!

RedPinStripes
04-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
there NOT NOT NOT going to build taverns and clubs around sox park.whatever is there is there.the neighborhood doesnt want this to be wrigleyville.this is a middleclass family residential neighborhood. wriggleyville is not and is filled with younger people.

green seats would be cool.eventho i didnt wanna talk about that.but i want uncomfterable wooden ones back!

And what do you think Wriglyville was before they fixed that area up? Belive me, There will be bars, Restutaunts, or whatever it takes to bring in money and rebuild that area. Not too many middle class people over there building houses for $ 300,000.
You see the houses going up over there?

blueeyes33
04-15-2004, 05:55 AM
before wrigleyville was how it is it was a dump.than it became gentrified.thats what happens.college kids move in because an area is cheap to live in.than the yuppies follow.and so on and so on.till things change.

you said it your self."300,000, yousee the houses around there?"
bridgeport is different because its not a dump.you cant have tons of students moving in because they cant afford it.its like saying that vernon park is going to be gentrified.its not gunna happen.

yeahand i do see the houses going up over here.i was born and raised over here and still live over here.it is a middle class community. its not upper class.and its not lower class.so where does that leave you?

this area does not NEED to be "rebuilt" is what im saying.it brings in PLENTY of income as is.thereis no reason for clubs tobe built around here.its not that kind of community.its a tavern community. resturants, sure they always go up butthere are allready enough around hereto keep future owners awayfrom here and more focused on high traffic areas like downtown and wriggley ville.

now if youwanna talk gentrification and rebirth of a neighborhood , pilsen is a DUMP and its going thru major change.... or so theysay.itseeems onlyeast of halsted is changing. and along 18th.but i guess it takes time

soxnut
04-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
before wrigleyville was how it is it was a dump.than it became gentrified.thats what happens.college kids move in because an area is cheap to live in.than the yuppies follow.and so on and so on.till things change.

you said it your self."300,000, yousee the houses around there?"
bridgeport is different because its not a dump.you cant have tons of students moving in because they cant afford it.its like saying that vernon park is going to be gentrified.its not gunna happen.

yeahand i do see the houses going up over here.i was born and raised over here and still live over here.it is a middle class community. its not upper class.and its not lower class.so where does that leave you?

this area does not NEED to be "rebuilt" is what im saying.it brings in PLENTY of income as is.thereis no reason for clubs tobe built around here.its not that kind of community.its a tavern community. resturants, sure they always go up butthere are allready enough around hereto keep future owners awayfrom here and more focused on high traffic areas like downtown and wriggley ville.

I think neighborhoods can always be improved. Halsted needs to be refurbished a little bit. And what about the owner of the home which has a 3 car garage and an indoor swimming pool?--I'm sure that home goes for more than $300,000. You've got Bridgeport Village going up, Union Lofts and Bridgeport Lofts---the building across from Union Lofts--which I could see going condo. Also what about the land DiFoggio bought along Pershing for residential use? All of these properties I mentioned I believe are a slightly different market than what is currently in the neighborhood. All of that brings in more people, and therefore more restaurants and other shops will be coming in---"oh shops and restaurants will come Ray---they most definitley will come."

Hangar18
04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
CorknKerrys, great name, I work about 2 mins away from that place in Willowbrook. anyway, phase5 must include Concourse Revamping............buildings