PDA

View Full Version : All Right... Enough throwaway outs on the "steal"...

mweflen
04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Okay, when Juan Uribe gets a bad jump, it's annoying, but understandable. The guy's supposed to have speed.

Sure, when Ordonez gets a knock RIGHT after Uribe is gunned down, it's doubly annoying.

But when Frank gets gunned down stealing right before a Konerko walk, I'm starting to get VERY perturbed.

Just how many outs are we going to give away with these silly attempts at stealing bases?

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :angry:

CHISOXFAN13
04-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mweflen
Okay, when Juan Uribe gets a bad jump, it's annoying, but understandable. The guy's supposed to have speed.

Sure, when Ordonez gets a knock RIGHT after Uribe is gunned down, it's doubly annoying.

But when Frank gets gunned down stealing right before a Konerko walk, I'm starting to get VERY perturbed.

Just how many outs are we going to give away with these silly attempts at stealing bases?

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :angry:

SO you prefer corpse ball huh?

Dadawg_77
04-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
SO you prefer corpse ball huh?

I prefer smart ball. Frank will have a hard time stealing at a 70% clip level.

mweflen
04-14-2004, 03:21 PM
exactly - I like running the bases hard, but it's starting to take on the look of running them stupidly. If you're going against a guy who's dealing, sure. But Affeldt is having control problems anyway - anyone who's patient up there can draw a walk at least 50% of the time - a higher percentage than some of these jumps they're taking from first.

mweflen
04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
the two out, bases loaded, three run double that Olivo just hit proves my case.

1 hit, 2 walks, no steals, the big knock.

jeremyb1
04-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I prefer smart ball. Frank will have a hard time stealing at a 70% clip level.

Haha. Very well put. Ozzie has this idea - I'm not sure where he got it - that it doesn't matter if you make outs as long as you're agrressive. I'm not sure why. Agressivness doesn't have some intrinsic value. It pays off when you're successful more than two thirds of the time. If you're not you're costing yourself runs plain and simple. Not a hard concept.

NonetheLoaiza
04-14-2004, 03:33 PM
ive got to think that the way weve been hitting the royals, and how well weve hit affeldt in the past, its not a bad thing to take these steal attempts. test the water, let the royals know youre aggressive on the basepaths and know they should be worried about the man on first.

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 05:03 PM
I think aggressiveness does have some intrinsic value, because we've all seen it rattle the other team. Unfortunately its value can't be quantified.

Unpredictability is like that too. In poker, you never want the other guy to know whether you're bluffing.

My ideal manager plays the odds most of the time, but deliberately does something overly aggressive once in a while, just enough to be labeled "unpredictable". I *thought* that's what Ozzie was up to with having Konerko steal, but he's starting to look a little reckless.

Rocklive99
04-14-2004, 05:38 PM
There's a big difference between aggressive baserunning and stupid baserunning