PDA

View Full Version : Bonds on the White Sox?


Stoky44
04-14-2004, 01:59 PM
I was up late listening to 670, which is Fox Sports Radio at 2AM. I caller called in and said the White Sox were almost going to sign Barry Bonds in the 90's. It was between Belle and Bonds. According to the caller J.R. asked Frank Thomas who he would rather have and Thomas said Belle. And the rest is history.

I don't really like Bonds, but he is damn good. With 20-20 hindsight the sox made the wrong choice. But at the time wasn't Albert a better player?

This may not even be an accurate story since it was info from a caller, just thought it was interesting. However, the caller said he remember's J.R. saying this at the press conference with Belle.

habibharu
04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
i dont believe the caller. sox couldnt have signed bonds

SEALgep
04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Interesting, but I question the accuracy of that.

RedPinStripes
04-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Sounds like someone just trying to throw another shot at JR.

Stoky44
04-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Sounds like someone just trying to throw another shot at JR.

The only reason I don't think they were trying to give a shot at JR is because the caller was from San Fran. and it is a national show. The topic was talking about Bonds record, had nothing to do with owners, White Sox, or JR.

I think it could be accurate b/c at the time wouldn't Albert Belle being asking for the same, if not more money. We payed Belle I think close to $10 mil a year right? That could have signed Bonds at that time. I can't say it makes the Sox or JR look bad b/c at the time Albert Belle was really good, who would have known the turn of events in both players career.

nodiggity59
04-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Actually , I remember that as well. I know for sure I heard JR say he asked Frank who he wanted out of all FAs - and he mentioned Bonds by name - and that Frank said Belle. This was at the Belle signing press conference.

Unregistered
04-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Actually , I remember that as well. I know for sure I heard JR say he asked Frank who he wanted out of all FAs - and he mentioned Bonds by name - and that Frank said Belle. This was at the Belle signing press conference. Yeah, I seem to remember that as well.

Iguana775
04-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Yeah, I seem to remember that as well.

damn, if only....

pudge
04-14-2004, 02:09 PM
This was a pretty common story at the time - As a matter of fact, you can probably dig up a JR quote that verifies this info.... the fact that is left out is that it probably would have required a trade of Ventura, so nobody knows if the deal would have went down... plus, Frank was wise in picking Belle over Bonds if it meant losing Robin... it just turns out that Ventura got hurt in spring of '97, Belle slumped in early '97 while Frank won a batting title. Then in '98, Belle was a monster while Frank had the worst season of his career to that point... Ah, the joys of being a Sox fan!

CubKilla
04-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
damn, if only....

Don't fret. If the White Sox did sign Bonds instead of Belle he'd have been long gone by now.

Hondo
04-14-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't know if I buy that rumor. Bonds signed with the Giants in 92 while Bele signed with the Sox in 96. While it's plausible that Bonds signed just a four year deal, I doubt it.

Also if you look at Bonds' numbers
HR RBI AVG
46 123 .336
37 81 .312
33 104 .294
42 129 .308

I don't see the Giants' orginization letting Bonds, who has ties to the orginization go.

DSpivack
04-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Don't fret. If the White Sox did sign Bonds instead of Belle he'd have been long gone by now.

With our luck, Bonds would have declined with his age and retired a year or two ago. While Belle would being chasing 700.

StockdaleForVeep
04-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I woulda puked over the whole "bonds vs sosa" north vs south garbage every single station would run non stop.

"Oh and the sox have 8 other good players too"

NonetheLoaiza
04-14-2004, 03:40 PM
i remember hearing that same story when the sox signed belle. i know it was said, but did the sox have a legitimate chance at bonds? probably not. the giants would not have let him go.

Hokiesox
04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
He would never have met the wonderful people at BALCO either.

gogosoxgogo
04-14-2004, 06:02 PM
I heard this story as well. It is true. Frank said he wanted Belle. JR was willing to appease Frank, so he went out and overpaid for Belle. Bonds could have been in a Sox uni. However, keep in mind that Bonds would be gone after a couple of years. There was no way we were going to resign him. I'm happy we never did get Bonds personally. I don't care for him. I've never liked his attitude. Bonds is overated and I don't want someone who only swings for the fences with the use of steroids as his aid. Also, Bonds still here would likely mean that Ordonez never makes the club. He probably would have been shipped off in a deal for some crappy middle reliever.

RKMeibalane
04-14-2004, 06:07 PM
I don't like the idea of Bonds being on this team, in any time period. Yes, he's of HOF'er, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a problem in the clubhouse. Besides, JR would not have paid the money needed to re-sign him.

hold2dibber
04-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I heard this story as well. It is true. Frank said he wanted Belle. JR was willing to appease Frank, so he went out and overpaid for Belle. Bonds could have been in a Sox uni. However, keep in mind that Bonds would be gone after a couple of years. There was no way we were going to resign him. I'm happy we never did get Bonds personally. I don't care for him. I've never liked his attitude. Bonds is overated and I don't want someone who only swings for the fences with the use of steroids as his aid. Also, Bonds still here would likely mean that Ordonez never makes the club. He probably would have been shipped off in a deal for some crappy middle reliever.

I don't know how you can say Bonds is overrated. He's a classless jerk, and probably a cheater. But what he's done between the lines speaks for itself.

WWIII
04-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Belle at least produced for a while. What about the Navaro or Clemens choice. I believe the Sox decided Clemens was "washed up," and went with Navaro.

mdep524
04-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
I don't know if I buy that rumor. Bonds signed with the Giants in 92 while Bele signed with the Sox in 96. While it's plausible that Bonds signed just a four year deal, I doubt it.

I defintely remember hearing about the Bonds-to-the-Sox converation between JR, Thomas and Schu at the time they signed Belle. Bonds and the Giants were at odds with each other a bit, and so he was available- in a TRADE. The Sox would have had to pay the farm to get him I bet, and then once his contract was up his fate would've likely been the same as Belle's. So really, in the long run, things wouldn't be much different than they are now.

But it wasn't a simple "should we sign Belle or Bonds?" Belle was a free agent, Bonds was still under contract by the Giants.

Frank the Tank
04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44


I don't really like Bonds, but he is damn good. With 20-20 hindsight the sox made the wrong choice. But at the time wasn't Albert a better player?



Speaking of hindsight, I'm sure people could argue the cubs got the better end of the Sammy Sosa / George Bell deal.

WinningUgly!
04-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I heard this story as well. It is true. Frank said he wanted Belle. JR was willing to appease Frank, so he went out and overpaid for Belle. Bonds could have been in a Sox uni. However, keep in mind that Bonds would be gone after a couple of years. There was no way we were going to resign him. I'm happy we never did get Bonds personally. I don't care for him. I've never liked his attitude. Bonds is overated and I don't want someone who only swings for the fences with the use of steroids as his aid. Also, Bonds still here would likely mean that Ordonez never makes the club. He probably would have been shipped off in a deal for some crappy middle reliever.


Originally posted by mdep524


I defintely remember hearing about the Bonds-to-the-Sox converation between JR, Thomas and Schu at the time they signed Belle. Bonds and the Giants were at odds with each other a bit, and so he was available- in a TRADE. The Sox would have had to pay the farm to get him I bet, and then once his contract was up his fate would've likely been the same as Belle's. So really, in the long run, things wouldn't be much different than they are now.

But it wasn't a simple "should we sign Belle or Bonds?" Belle was a free agent, Bonds was still under contract by the Giants.


All of Reinsdorf's talk about Frank wanting Belle over Bonds, was nothing more than him trying to make Belle feel comfortable & welcome. These comments were made by JR during the Albert Belle press conference, immediately following the signing. JR, Frank & Belle were all there. What the hell was Reinsdorf going to say???..."We really wanted Barry Bonds, but SF was just asking for too much in return. We settled on Al Belle, instead."

Lip Man 1
04-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Folks:

This story is completely true. In a story in the Chicago newspapers after Belle was signed Jerry Reinsdorf himself said (he used to actually talk to the press in those days...) that he went up to Thomas and said 'if you could have any one player in baseball on your team who would you want.' Thomas said Belle. Reinsdorf said that surprised him, that he would have wanted Barry Bonds and Bonds was available at the time.

Remember the Giants were having no luck in getting a new ballpark built, Bonds' contract was a hugh financial drain on the organization and he was in fact, available. Shortly after this all died down, Peter McGowan came up with his own money to finance Pac Bell Park. (How about that Uncle Jerry?????)

With the knowledge that the franchise would be secure with a new stadium any ideas of dealing Bonds and his contract were dropped.

Typical Sox luck eh?

Lip

pudge
04-15-2004, 01:03 AM
I feel like I'm posting to a brick wall. Does anyone bother to read prior postings?

:)

rahulsekhar
04-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Let's also not forget that despite his personal issues, Albert was at least as feared a hitter as Bonds when he came aboard. I believe he's still the only player in history to hit 50HR & 502Bs in a season.

Barry was a great player back then, but his #s have improved and his status as possibly a top 5 player of all time has really been cemented by his improvements the last 5 or so years. (Possibly coinciding with his usage of BALCO "vitamins".)

gosox41
04-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I was up late listening to 670, which is Fox Sports Radio at 2AM. I caller called in and said the White Sox were almost going to sign Barry Bonds in the 90's. It was between Belle and Bonds. According to the caller J.R. asked Frank Thomas who he would rather have and Thomas said Belle. And the rest is history.

I don't really like Bonds, but he is damn good. With 20-20 hindsight the sox made the wrong choice. But at the time wasn't Albert a better player?

This may not even be an accurate story since it was info from a caller, just thought it was interesting. However, the caller said he remember's J.R. saying this at the press conference with Belle.

I remember a story about this when the Sox signed Belle. They had a chance to trade for Bonds but Frank wanted Belle.

I have to check out their numbers at the time, but I think they were reasonable close offensively, except for SB's/

Bob

Bob

JDP
04-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Would Bonds be Bonds if he were not in SF and not associated with Belco? To be or not to be...