PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel Comments

Lip Man 1
04-14-2004, 12:24 PM
This came out of a story in the Sun Times today and I found it to be interesting and revealing]..."Jerry Manuel didn't know how to handle pitchers. Manuel moved Jose Valentin too much on defense. ''And this guy wanted to bat third but he was batting him second,'' Guillen said, finishing off just a few of the complaints the players lodged against their former manager [/B] ."

Knowing Ozzie I'm sure he said this laced with a few profanities and with a smile on his face but as I read this I harkened back to some posts made by Pale Hose George where he inferred that there was more going on behind closed doors in the Sox clubhouse towards Manuel then was being let on in the media.

It appers PHG was correct in his beliefs. Now it seems to be coming out isn't it? Some of these sound to me, like serious charges and serious handicaps to a team that already had handicaps in terms of speed, the back end of the rotation and defense.

Maybe we should all be surprised that they even won as many games as they did under Manager Gandhi?

Lip

Brian26
04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I think the quote I saw in another column from Guillen was in regards to Frank batting third although he wanted to bat fourth. (Not that someone wanted to bat third even though Jerry wanted him to bat 2nd). Now Frank is batting fourth, and all is right with the world :D:

voodoochile
04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Interesting, because the Trib frames that interview in an entirely different light...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31658

owensmouth
04-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Maybe, but remember what else Ozzie said: ''They didn't need a manager last year with the talent they had on the team. That was an [expletive] excuse. "

sas1974
04-14-2004, 12:35 PM
I think Ozzie is handling it well by putting the responsibility for winning back on the players.

From Today's Trib:
"I told them the first day in the meetings: 'The talent Kenny Williams put on the field for you guys? You should have won that thing. You want to win? Play better and don't make the manager make any moves.' I respect Jerry Manuel as a man. That's excuses."

Guillen already has had his fill of excuses, so he has done something about them.

"If we lose, what excuse are they going to make now?" he said. "[Jon] Garland can't pitch because Jerry won't let him pitch past the fourth inning? Well, now we're going to see. Now I have Garland [going longer]. Now he has no more excuses.

"Oh, Jose [Valentin] was hitting second or seventh, playing center field or left field or shortstop. Well, now he's the shortstop and we'll see what he can do.

"Frank [Thomas] was hitting third, this guy wants to hit fourth. OK, here's where everybody's going to hit. Now, what are you guys going to do?"

SoxxoS
04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Maybe, but remember what else Ozzie said: ''They didn't need a manager last year with the talent they had on the team. That was an [expletive] excuse. "

He has to cover himself a little. Talking about the previous manager isn't very smart to begin with, so it's good to end on a "it's the players fault, though..." note.

steff
04-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I think Ozzie is handling it well by putting the responsibility for winning back on the players.

From Today's Trib:

Agree. I think the Times made it into more than it is.

RedPinStripes
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Interesting, because the Trib frames that interview in an entirely different light...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31658

Unfortunatly, I have to side withthe Trib's story. That's what i heard Ozzie say on radio.

pudge
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Of course Ozzie is going to say that, he's being very politically correct, but it also does reveal that this team was not happy with JM - of course, didn't we already know that?

jeremyb1
04-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Knowing Ozzie I'm sure he said this laced with a few profanities and with a smile on his face but as I read this I harkened back to some posts made by Pale Hose George where he inferred that there was more going on behind closed doors in the Sox clubhouse towards Manuel then was being let on in the media.

It appers PHG was correct in his beliefs. Now it seems to be coming out isn't it? Some of these sound to me, like serious charges and serious handicaps to a team that already had handicaps in terms of speed, the back end of the rotation and defense.

I didn't necessarily get the impression these comments came from the players as much as the media. I've heard all these comments made by the fans on this board and the local beat writers so I don't think its write to assume these comments actually came from the mouth of the players as opposed to perceptions of the team from afar.