PDA

View Full Version : How do you make it to the playoffs?

NonetheLoaiza
04-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Based on the first week of games, what is the one key thing the Sox need to do to make this a successful season?

hillbilly
04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
win

DrummerGeorgefan
04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Keep being aggressive on the bases and with their approach. The division is theirs for the taking.

Jurr
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Staying positive....it helps keep the pressure off, which will help our previously mental-case lineup. If we can keep the prolonged slump away and rebound from some adverse ballgames, we'll be in good shape over the stretch.

chisoxmike
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Pitching. All pitching. Not just starting, but bullpen too.

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
Pitching. All pitching. Not just starting, but bullpen too.

It doesnt take pitching just to reach the playoffs. You can win plenty of games with offense. See the 2000 white sox, but it does take pitching to win once you get to the playoffs.

SoxFan76
04-13-2004, 10:20 PM
I hate to talk this way, but the pitching staff can't keep doing what they've been doing. Loaiza is lucky he has an offense. He gave up 4 HR's today. That is not good. Garland still winning with 7 BB's, this won't happen all year. Granted, it's early and these guys should get into a groove.

chisoxmike
04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
It doesnt take pitching just to reach the playoffs. You can win plenty of games with offense. See the 2000 white sox, but it does take pitching to win once you get to the playoffs.

I agree. But the sox arn't going to be scoring 12 runs every game.

Whitesox029
04-13-2004, 10:25 PM
As a general rule, any team that can play .500 on the road and can win 2 out of every 3 at home can win the division. Go 40-41 on the road, go 51-30 at home. That would put us at 91-71, which should be enough, and I think it's also do-able.

Jurr
04-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Garland's not going to walk 7 batters in a normal lineup. When you're facing a continuous stream of Jeter, ARod, Giambi, Sheffield, and guys like that, you'll be a little cautious. I don't think he'll be as intimidated by the Royals tomorrow.

davidleeroth
04-13-2004, 11:27 PM
tell willie harris, juan uribe, and jose valentin to get their heads out of their asses on the field.

DSpivack
04-13-2004, 11:39 PM
I think the real key for the White Sox is to score more than their opponent and win more games than anyone else in the division .

stillz
04-14-2004, 12:17 AM
They need to keep the offense chugging at a mighty pace. They have potential to score a lot of runs - enough to win the division by a large margin. The crappy defense worries me.

WhiteSox = Life
04-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Always, always play like you want to be there, executing fundamentals, coming through in the clutch, and having solid pitching and offense with sound defense.

Oh, by the way, easier said or in this case typed than done.

Thunderstruck30
04-14-2004, 01:03 AM
They just need some motivation.

ma-gaga
04-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Simple. Beat the teams in your division. Beat KC in April, Detroit in May, Cleveland in June and Minny in July.

All year long they have to be consistant and take those divisional games seriously. It's nice to beat the NYY 2 out of 3, but to MAKE the playoffs, you have to pound your divisional rivals.

I'm pretty glad KC went to that all lefty starting lineup. They might be able to beat Minnesota with that gimmick, but I'm glad the Sox have pounded them into the ground.

stupid ass royals.

scottyl
04-14-2004, 03:14 AM
On paper at least, the Sox should be fine offensively.

I'm watching the 4 & 5 starters--do they give us a chance to win on their outings?--forget their ERAs or W/L record.

Second, does this bullpen--with several important newcomers come around? Pitching is going to matter--it always matters--I don't care how "weak" the central is.

Originally posted by ma-gaga
Simple. Beat the teams in your division. Beat KC in April, Detroit in May, Cleveland in June and Minny in July.

All year long they have to be consistant and take those divisional games seriously. It's nice to beat the NYY 2 out of 3, but to MAKE the playoffs, you have to pound your divisional rivals.

I'm pretty glad KC went to that all lefty starting lineup. They might be able to beat Minnesota with that gimmick, but I'm glad the Sox have pounded them into the ground.

stupid ass royals.

Taking the spirit out of KC and MN early is always a good idea.

Hokiesox
04-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
Based on the first week of games, what is the one key thing the Sox need to do to make this a successful season?

Win more games than everyone else in the division.

next!

wdelaney72
04-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Avoid anything over a 2 game losing streak.

Here's another brilliant concept. Don't crap down their leg on the annual West Coast road trip.

Railsplitter
04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
As another guy in silver and black likes to say "just win, baby"

soxfan26
04-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Making the playoffs would be great, with the power in the AL East an West that most likely means taking the division. Once they pull off that feat that can focus on not falling flat in the first round.

soxfan26
04-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Here's another brilliant concept. Don't crap down their leg on the annual West Coast road trip.

Amen. I don't think I can suffer through another abysmal road trip this season.