PDA

View Full Version : Hey Opening Day Attendees....

soxnut
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
For those that attended the home opener:

Could you give us an assessment of the park, the atmosphere?

If you sat in the upper deck, how is it compared to how it was pre-renovation? ie: the look, feel and the enclosed look of the concourse.

Anyone sit in the Fan Deck?

Anyone have pictures to post? And if you do, could you also send some to ballparksofbaseball.com? They really need to update their site.

Thanks.

nitetrain8601
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Upper Deck was really cold if you sat in the shade. The wind would have been worse, but now they have that screen, so the wind is not that strong. Feel of the ballpark is better, but I did have some problems with the fans there. Not me personally, but as a whole Sox nation, I have problems with us.

jabrch
04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
but I did have some problems with the fans there. Not me personally, but as a whole Sox nation, I have problems with us.

For instance?

nitetrain8601
04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
For instance?

First off, it sure as hell didn't look like a sell out. One side of the upper deck was empty.

Sox fans chanting stupid stuff like "Packers Suck" in front of some guy with his kids there. We're all Sox fans, there's no need to do that. The man didn't go to get heckled about football. There is a time and a place for that crap. The worse part is that he got mooned by some stupid sox fan and then when security went to get the mooner, everyone said it was the "Packers fan" with his kids. They were lucky they were able to move somewhere else and explain the situation to security and enjoy the rest of the game.

Fans left early. It's opening day for God's sake and it's not like it's night time(even that whole projects crap is BS) so why not at least have the courtesy to stick around and watch the end. Sox fans complain about no one going, but the same ones that go and complain, are they're the ones leaving early. Support your team and don't leave early. There's no excuse for that BS. Even if you decided to ditch work at least stay until the end, you're bound to get in trouble if you are comming 15 minutes earlier.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Yeah Sox fans can be pretty stupid sometimes. What do the Packers have to do with anything?

chisoxmike
04-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Fans left early. It's opening day for God's sake and it's not like it's night time(even that whole projects crap is BS) so why not at least have the courtesy to stick around and watch the end. Sox fans complain about no one going, but the same ones that go and complain, are they're the ones leaving early. Support your team and don't leave early. There's no excuse for that BS. Even if you decided to ditch work at least stay until the end, you're bound to get in trouble if you are comming 15 minutes earlier.

Thank you. People were leaving in the 8th inning... this is sad people! I know we were winning 12-5, but come on! It was opening day! Stay until the end.

Other than that... the fans were pretty much into the game. The fans cheered loud during the stating line-ups, and gave the team a big standing ovation when they took the field. Fans chanting Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie, and Paulie Paulie Paulie was great. I'm really happy there wasn't a lot of booing of Koch when he came out in the 9th. Overall a lot of fun.

Now, we must keep going! Today was something like 38,729. We need to keep up above 20,000. So go out and suport this team!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
It was an awesome time and it was sold out ( itried to buy a ticket right before walking in) but the park wasn't full. I don't know what was up with that. THe crowd was awesome and the tailgaiting was kickin. Dllrbill7 really knows how to throw a good bbq in the lot.

I sat in the UD 5 rows in and thought the new roof looks really great. I'm of the school that didn't think it was needed though. But now that it's here i'm not complaining. Great time, you shoulda came. Oh..if you look at my pic you can see that the concourse on the LD was absolutely JAMMED. maybe thats why the seats looked a little light

munchman33
04-13-2004, 09:19 PM
First off, it sure as hell didn't look like a sell out. One side of the upper deck was empty.

What people don't realize is that even when we sell out we will never look like we're sold out, even if everyone shows up. Don't forget the hundreds of people stationed on top of the fan deck. As well as the hundred in the patio and the bullpen sports bar. Also, did you try walking in the center field concourse at any point today? Absolute madness. At no point during the game was the concourse not completely full of people, with no where to move. Every bathroom in the building was grossly overcrowded as well. I stood in line for the washroom for over 20 minutes before I finally gave up!

As for people leaving early, at least we were up big. And it was cold. I have more of a problem with people leaving when its warm and its a tight ballgame.

-Munchie

JohnBasedowYoda
04-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
and Paulie Paulie Paulie was great....

Yeah the konerko curtain call was awesome. I love it when the player and the fan exchange appreciation and whatnot. Go Paulie!!!!

nitetrain8601
04-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
What people don't realize is that even when we sell out we will never look like we're sold out, even if everyone shows up. Don't forget the hundreds of people stationed on top of the fan deck. As well as the hundred in the patio and the bullpen sports bar. Also, did you try walking in the center field concourse at any point today? Absolute madness. At no point during the game was the concourse not completely full of people, with no where to move. Every bathroom in the building was grossly overcrowded as well. I stood in line for the washroom for over 20 minutes before I finally gave up!

As for people leaving early, at least we were up big. And it was cold. I have more of a problem with people leaving when its warm and its a tight ballgame.

-Munchie

The lower deck looked like a sell out. In fact, I wanted to buy seats there, but there wasnt any available for 4 people when I bought mine. I was in 555 in the second to last row. Also, it's Opening Day, I think we as Sox fans should be able to bear the weather for an extra 20 minutes(especially those in the sun) to watch the game end and give a loud applause for the home team.

I must admit, I did like the tailgating. I didn't tailgate, but it looked great.

joecrede
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
Thank you. People were leaving in the 8th inning... this is sad people! I know we were winning 12-5, but come on! It was opening day! Stay until the end.

Stay until the end? It was freezing in the shade which accounts for the many empty seats on the first base side of the upper deck. FWIW, the LF concourse, where the sun was, was as packed as I've ever seen it.

Thinking about it, the upper deck renovation is probably the biggest success Reinsdorf has had as owner. Scaling it down, the roof, the fear factor associated with it has been almost completely eliminated. The finished product goes well beyond what I ever thought was possible.

OhWeeOh
04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
The ballpark looks great in my opinion. I didn't sit in the Upper Deck, but from my view in the lower deck, the renovations made are a positive. Before the game started, quite a few people were walking thru the Fan Deck. I don't think I'd spend the whole game there, but I like what the Sox did with it. The chairs they added are a nice plus, looks like they'll be popular, so grab'em early.

I must say I noticed a difference in the sound system. It's sharper, for lack of a better word. Gene Honda sounded much clearer doing the lineups, so did the music between innings. I never felt it was that loud before, it's a ballpark, not a library, but people complain about everything related to The Cell.

There were pockets of empty seats in the UD. The weather (not as bad as weathermen led me to believe this morning) might have led to some no-shows. I know there are people who buy UD seats and sit in the Bullpen Bar all game. And I know that despite the security, people from the UD do get to the lower bowl by trading ticket stubs. However, I don't think every ticket possible was sold for whatever reason.

The fans around me were great, everyone was getting into the 2-strike counts on the Royal hitters, and the 3-2 counts on the Sox hitters. No annoying guys on cell phones trying to draw attention to themselves.

And the 3 BIGGEST reasons today was a good day:

1. No one threw back the any of the 4 Royals Home Run balls (if you have done this before PLEASE STOP IT!!!!!!!! It's a dumb Wrigley Fan thing)

2. No one tried to start The Wave (if you have done this before PLEASE STOP DOING IT!!!! It was popular in the 1980s, now it is dumb)

3. White Sox Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NonetheLoaiza
04-13-2004, 10:00 PM
i cant wait to see the field in person. unfortunately, im at school in arizona and wont be able to go to a game until may 25. i gotta say tho, the park looks pretty awesome. that picture that is posted reminds me old comiskey.

thats another white sox winner

mrwag
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
I can't say enough about the park. I sat in the VERY last row in the UD, right over 1st base, and I have to say it was awsome with the new roof directly over head. The fans were louder too. A MUCH better experience. The enclosed concourse was a welcomed improvement as well. A great ballpark. I can't wait to see the new seats next year. Some of them are getting pretty shabby. The green will match the new color style perfectly.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Was the park louder than before?

RichFitztightly
04-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Was the park louder than before?

It possibly was. It's not noticably louder. At least from my vantage point on the club level. The real test will be Cubs/Sox series. The sound system was definitely toned down. Working on the club level with those speakers pointing right down on your head was deafening.

mantis1212
04-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by OhWeeOh

2. No one tried to start The Wave (if you have done this before PLEASE STOP DOING IT!!!! It was popular in the 1980s, now it is dumb)

Let me take a moment to second this notion... NO MORE WAVE!!

Fungo
04-13-2004, 11:07 PM

1. No one threw back the any of the 4 Royals Home Run balls (if you have done this before PLEASE STOP IT!!!!!!!! It's a dumb Wrigley Fan thing)

one thing I'd like to see stopped...

chanting "Cubbies Suck" at the end of the game when you are making your way out going down the ramps. Today's win had nothing to do with the cubs, so why the chant? Stupid, IMO.

soxnut
04-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks for posting. Hopefully I'll be able to start going to games soon. :smile:

stillz
04-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Best home opener since 2000.

Manager Guillen throwing out first pitch to Hall of Famer Fisk. Who'd have thunk it?

The renovations look sweet - nice UD picture!

DSpivack
04-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Can't wait until I'm back home for a few short days in May [when Orioles, Twinkies are in town].

Definetely will go to more than one game then!

Comiskey sho is looking beeyooteeful!

soxnut
04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey anyone who sat in the upper deck, were you able to see the downtown skyline from you seat??

Shoeless Joe
04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
chanting "Cubbies Suck" at the end of the game when you are making your way out going down the ramps. Today's win had nothing to do with the cubs, so why the chant? Stupid, IMO.

Good point, I was absolutely befuddled with all the "Cubs Suck" chants. Weren't we facing the Royals today? Oh well...

As far the park goes, I was sitting in the upper deck, and every year it just keeps getting better and better. The entire roof brings a unique feel to the park that wasn't there before. Since it's a lot closer to the seats there's a more intimate feel while you're sitting up there. Plus if you were sitting near the first base line you could actually see the skyline!

I noticed people mentioning the sound system and it was noticeably better. Last year it was barely faint in certain sections, but this year it seems to be a lot louder and a lot clearer.

Random thoughts: It was absolutely freezing in the Upper Deck and considering that I was in the shade made it worse. But I guess that's the reason they sell hot chocolate in the park. I can understand why people were leaving early, the Sox were winning big time by the 8th, it was cold, and everyone wanted to beat traffic. And as far as the park not looking packed...let's complain about that when the attendance goes below 20,000.

dllrbll7
04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Hey anyone who sat in the upper deck, were you able to see the downtown skyline from you seat??

If you go to the top of the rows there is just a chain link fence and you have a great view of the city. I believe JonBasedowyoda may have a few pics of it.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 12:59 AM
some more pics that i think will help give a feel for the park, and ud.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 01:00 AM
more

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 01:01 AM
yessss you like. you dirty dirty thing you. mwahahaha

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 01:04 AM
and just for fun....
a former sox manager's new job, collecting what he once put on the field. Garbage

RedPinStripes
04-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
one thing I'd like to see stopped...

Thank you. I'd rather hear KC sucks or Twins suck. Yell Cubs suck all you want when we play the Cubs and it counts.

WhiteSox = Life
04-14-2004, 01:14 AM
JBY, nice pictures. I particularly liked the one with the "aura" around the Sox on the person's shirt.

For old time's sake...

:hawk
"I love those kinds of pictures."

:DJ
"You do?"

:hawk
"Mmm-hmm."

:smile:

Stoky44
04-14-2004, 02:25 AM

AMEN!!!

patbooyah
04-14-2004, 03:07 AM
being in california, i'm sad that i have to miss opening day. its one of my favorite games to attend. i love the park when its full. i did, however, watch the mlb.tv feed of the game, and i have to say that the stadium looked fabulous on the broadcast. the green made it seem like a totally different place.

it was cool to see a packed stadium. i get to come home in may and i'm going to go to every game i can. i love this season.

steff
04-14-2004, 08:51 AM

Sox fans chanting stupid stuff like "Packers Suck" in front of some guy with his kids there. We're all Sox fans, there's no need to do that. The man didn't go to get heckled about football. There is a time and a place for that crap. The worse part is that he got mooned by some stupid sox fan and then when security went to get the mooner, everyone said it was the "Packers fan" with his kids. They were lucky they were able to move somewhere else and explain the situation to security and enjoy the rest of the game.

Agree on the Packer chants.. we had them in the lower level a few times. As for fans leaving early.. the game was ending at the hight of rush hour. It takes a good 2 hours to get home WITHOUT 37K extra folks... I have no problem with folks leaving early. They were there.. that's all that matters.

rcescato
04-14-2004, 09:14 AM
The game was great. I personally got sunburnt on my face and bald head. I was sitting by the sox bullpen and there was no wind over there. I thought the park looked great. It is a far cry from a few years ago. I am going to the game this afternoon and will sit in my normal seat from my season tix package.
GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!

soxnut
04-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Lookin good folks :smile:

kittle545feet
04-14-2004, 10:47 AM
i was so impressed with the stadium. it looks better than i ever thought it would. i sat first row down the right field line by the foul pole and i couldn't help but imagine the homerun porch for next year. thats gonna be awesome! the green padded walls were really cool. they looked just like the old place. the fan deck in center was a great place to watch the game. very cool sight lines from up there. it feels like such a more intimate place to watch a game. the crowd was great too. they were loud and into the game. although there were too many wise asses wearing cub jerseys for me. overall the park is incredible and the win was even better. :)

CubKilla
04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
The upperdeck looks great. I had lower bowl seats and the fact that 8 rows of the upperdeck have been taken off makes the park look incredibly more intimate. The "Sox" placards at the tip of the LF and RF upperdeck roof are a nice touch.

The "ribbon board" under the fandeck looks pretty cool too.

Iwritecode
04-14-2004, 11:16 AM

No, but there sure were idiots that were yelling for them to do it. Three of the home runs came within 20 feet of me. I had to yell "Sit down, this isn't Wrigley!" more than once.

We were sitting in left field right by the bullpen. I really wasn't cold at all because we had the sun shinning on us all game long. Actually got a little sunburned on my forehead and cheeks. Watching the replay later last night on FSN, I got to see myself on TV during the Sweeney home run in the second. A kid in the first row made a nice catch on that one BTW.

The park looked good from what I saw of it. Didn't really get a chance to walk around too much because it was so crowded. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check out the upper deck next time I go.

I did sit in front of two Royals fans. They were the only two I saw all game long. They kept quiet and nobody bothered them though. I also sat directly behind the guy that sung "God Bless America" during the seventh inning stretch. We wondered why Sox personnel kept coming down and talking to him. When we saw him on the screen we were like "Whoa! Thats the guy that was sitting right here!"

SoxFan78
04-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Very impressed with the field. I sat in 13th row in upper deck and had a completley different feel then before. More enclosed. Some guy in front of me had a Marlins Jersey with Bartman on the back. I dont think he payed for a drink all day. Tailgating was the best, but can somebody answer me a question? I was parked in the parking lot directly south of the stadium, and it was half full. The parking lot south of us was full, but there was at least half in our lot that was empty. Who knows.

dllrbll7
04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
Very impressed with the field. I sat in 13th row in upper deck and had a completley different feel then before. More enclosed. Some guy in front of me had a Marlins Jersey with Bartman on the back. I dont think he payed for a drink all day. Tailgating was the best, but can somebody answer me a question? I was parked in the parking lot directly south of the stadium, and it was half full. The parking lot south of us was full, but there was at least half in our lot that was empty. Who knows.

They always leave half of the lot open for VIP parking or late comers with passes. It was filled on the way out of the stadium.

starboy0
04-14-2004, 12:48 PM
It was a fabulous day! Took metra and the el in early and went to that little restaurant up on parnell for an egg and pepper on french bread then hung out and watched people get interviewed by the media around the park.

Got inside and couldn't believe how good it was to sense the ballpark smells and the beautiful green of the field. Stood around the sox dugout for awhile and watched Frank hold court with the media.

Really liked how Aaron bunted the runners on first and second up and Miguel hitting them in and also that PK is back! Plus Mike Jackson looked quite in command. Koch didn't look so bad either.

It was really cold so thank god for the parka.

The only thing I didn't like is that I've never seen the bathrooms so crowded. It took forever to get in and out. Don't remember them being so bad.

mealfred13
04-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Let me take a moment to second this notion... NO MORE WAVE!!

I dunno guys, the wave is always a good way to get the crowd going. Laast season, when I was at the Jose Paniagua Fiasco (TM) game, we had an upper and lower deck wave going which went all the way around the stadium and back 5 times in a row. Whether you like it or not, it seems to be a fixture of the game, especially when things are quiet and people are trying to keep the crowd going.

mealfred13
04-14-2004, 01:27 PM
On a side note, did anyone have an Obstructed View seat?

skobabe8
04-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
Oh..if you look at my pic you can see that the concourse on the LD was absolutely JAMMED. maybe thats why the seats looked a little light

Great pic! I was in LF and i knew it was packed, but you dont realize how many people were on the concourse until you look at an aerial view. I saw one royals fan, and you wuldnt know it because he was sporting a Kansas U. hat. But he admitted he was a big royals fan. The guy who sang in the 7th was great, too. The bathroom lines were kinda long, but thats what happens when people show up. If it comes to choosing between packed houses or empty bathrooms, I'll take packed houses. Besides, the longest waits are 10 minutes. Its not like its wrigley where you have to miss 3 innings!

nitetrain8601
04-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I dunno guys, the wave is always a good way to get the crowd going. Laast season, when I was at the Jose Paniagua Fiasco (TM) game, we had an upper and lower deck wave going which went all the way around the stadium and back 5 times in a row. Whether you like it or not, it seems to be a fixture of the game, especially when things are quiet and people are trying to keep the crowd going.

I did, get an obstructed view but it's not that bad. I just couldn't see a very, very, very small portion of LF.

I agree about the wave. When the game gets a little dull and people aren't into it, a wave is the best game to start up the excitement. I remember I was at the Sox-Royals game on a half price night, it was a packed crowd and quiet. Then all of a sudden the wave started and went around the park 5 times. It was great and the crowd was pumped. It's a great way to get the fans into it.

SSN721
04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I was at the top of sect. 530 right on the aisle so we did have a bit of an obstructed view, it was only a little hard to see right on the aisle, but at worst you couldnt see a littl bit of left field, otherwise they were just fine. But I do agree with a post I have read before that said they should maybe charge 5 bucks for these seats, I dont think that is a bad idea, because you do have to lean in at the guy next to you if there is a play in the corner of LF up there.

Hangar18
04-14-2004, 03:52 PM
it looks like a ballpark now .................I like it.
Still wish the Pitch was addressed, but wow, it looks so nice now

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
it looks like a ballpark now .................I like it.
Still wish the Pitch was addressed, but wow, it looks so nice now

i'm assuming you meant to type "pitching"

mike squires
04-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I did, get an obstructed view but it's not that bad. I just couldn't see a very, very, very small portion of LF.

I agree about the wave. When the game gets a little dull and people aren't into it, a wave is the best game to start up the excitement. I remember I was at the Sox-Royals game on a half price night, it was a packed crowd and quiet. Then all of a sudden the wave started and went around the park 5 times. It was great and the crowd was pumped. It's a great way to get the fans into it.

No wave, Let us repeat NO WAVE.

mike squires
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
I haven't heard many people talk abou Fisk being there. How didhe look, did e get a nice ovation? Had to have been a nice suprise. Ozzie didn't know about it did he?

chisoxmike
04-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, my opening day pics are in the photo gallery if you want to take a look!

:)

StillMissOzzie
04-15-2004, 04:16 AM
We were in the lower deck in right field, and since we were in the shadows, we were pretty cold by late in the game. We got up to walk around to make our way toward the exits, but we were there for the whole game.

I think the concourse is always more crowded for the home opener because you get more people who are just there BECAUSE it's the home opener, and are just there to drink beer.

No chance to get to the new fan deck - probably next game.

Scrub fans leave their home opener early because their team is getting thumped.

Sox fans leave their home opener early because their tem has the game well in hand.

SMO

kittle545feet
04-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I dunno guys, the wave is always a good way to get the crowd going. Laast season, when I was at the Jose Paniagua Fiasco (TM) game, we had an upper and lower deck wave going which went all the way around the stadium and back 5 times in a row. Whether you like it or not, it seems to be a fixture of the game, especially when things are quiet and people are trying to keep the crowd going. all the wave does is distract people who want to watch the game. every minute, mindless jerkoffs stand and scream like idiots for no reason. and don't tell me its fun. stay home and do it in your yard. if the game isn't exciting enough for you, leave! :angry:

mantis1212
04-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by kittle545feet
all the wave does is distract people who want to watch the game. every minute, mindless jerkoffs stand and scream like idiots for no reason. and don't tell me its fun. stay home and do it in your yard. if the game isn't exciting enough for you, leave! :angry:

I second that- feels like amatuer night when I see it...

soxnut
04-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by kittle545feet
all the wave does is distract people who want to watch the game. every minute, mindless jerkoffs stand and scream like idiots for no reason. and don't tell me its fun. stay home and do it in your yard. if the game isn't exciting enough for you, leave! :angry:

You're exactly right. Do we have to be "entertained" every second of our lives? Can't people just sit down, shut up and relax for five minutes? Has everyone turned into a freaking 2-year old?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2004, 07:17 PM
at Brewers opening day i saw some people trying to start the wave off. I thought uh-oh....Haha those milwaukee fans didn't have much to wave about as the brew crew was drummed to a quite crowd.