PDA

View Full Version : Is the Maggs Rumor true?

ukigdog
04-13-2004, 04:49 PM
I have heard now multiple times from the article in the daily southown, to another thread that maggs has been offered a contract extension. 4 years 50 million with option for 5th year. Is it true?? If so, why hasnt trib, or anyone else reported? Did anyone else hear Levine say it??

I hope so, and i hope he accepts. MAggs is a stud!

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 04:56 PM
there was a linc on the espn, sox web site that said mags was offerd a four year deal but wanted more years. I guess the price is right and after that it is all downhill. no reason not to give him an unlimited number of years in my book. he also wanted to have a deal that was not back loaded. that may be a problem, but if that is the hold up, JR is a bigger idiot than I could ever imagine.

jabrch
04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
there was a linc on the espn, sox web site that said mags was offerd a four year deal but wanted more years. I guess the price is right and after that it is all downhill. no reason not to give him an unlimited number of years in my book. he also wanted to have a deal that was not back loaded. that may be a problem, but if that is the hold up, JR is a bigger idiot than I could ever imagine.

Steinbrenner backload Sheffield's deal - why is JR an idiot for doing what most other owners in baseball do. It costs about 40,000 per million per year to convert backloaded money to todays money, however sports teams maintain certain debt ratios that they are not permitted usually to break. If say 20% of the deal per year is backloaded out to the final year of the 4 year deal, it would only cost Magglio about $250,000 to have it "unbackloaded". IF this is the case, why is JR an idiot for doing that, but nobody calls Magglio a greedy whore?

If he turns the contract down because he doesnt want to pay 250,000 to undefer the contract, then I will miss him very much, but I will understand why we are letting him go - cuz if that's the case, then he is a greedy whore.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 05:44 PM
if the deal is botched because of a structuring problem, then JR is an idiot. same with any owner. i understand that most owners will backload, but if it is the only problem standing in the way, why would he not fix it to pull the trigger.

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 06:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040413&content_id=701765&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

You know they're pretty series and close if it managed its way onto whitesox.com

munchman33
04-13-2004, 06:17 PM
if the deal is botched because of a structuring problem, then JR is an idiot. same with any owner. i understand that most owners will backload, but if it is the only problem standing in the way, why would he not fix it to pull the trigger.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Backloading large contracts has become the norm, mostly because it helps you win now, as more payroll is available to win in the early years of the deal. It's also better in case things don't work out and you trade the guy, as the new team will pay more than you.

Players realize that backloaded contracts help teams win. If a backloaded contract is the sticking point, you are wrong to blame it on Reinsdorf. If anything, you should blame Maggs for being so damn greedy.

Nick@Nite
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
... then for the love everything that is sacred & holy... sign it Maggs.

A. Cavatica
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
...and then trade Borchard for pitching.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 08:24 PM
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Backloading large contracts has become the norm, mostly because it helps you win now, as more payroll is available to win in the early years of the deal. It's also better in case things don't work out and you trade the guy, as the new team will pay more than you.

Well just call me Chip Carey. The way I see it, if the sox and mags don't work out, then the problem would have to be pretty big. And trying to trade him would prolly be harder, seeing how no team wants to pay the majority of anyone's contract, especially if there is a huge problem. I don't need to be reminded how backloading contracts are hip and popular. If a 'franchise' player like Mags wants his deal a certain way and is asking no more than other players of his caliber, then deeming him greedy is way off base. At least no more greedy than the rest of the MLB.

munchman33
04-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Well just call me Chip Carey. The way I see it, if the sox and mags don't work out, then the problem would have to be pretty big. And trying to trade him would prolly be harder, seeing how no team wants to pay the majority of anyone's contract, especially if there is a huge problem. I don't need to be reminded how backloading contracts are hip and popular. If a 'franchise' player like Mags wants his deal a certain way and is asking no more than other players of his caliber, then deeming him greedy is way off base. At least no more greedy than the rest of the MLB.

Everyone else is willing to do it. The only thing stopping Maggs from doing it is greed. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION. Backloaded contracts are not "hip" as you described them. They are the norm. No large contract is made without them. It's standard. You know how many contracts of 4 or more years have been signed in the last five years that weren't backloaded? None. Not one. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Magglio is trying to milk the Sox for every spare penny he can get, and it's sickening. If I owned the sox, I'd tell the GM to trade him away today for a guy who cares more about the team winning than maximizing his wallet.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Everyone else is willing to do it. The only thing stopping Maggs from doing it is greed. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION. Backloaded contracts are not "hip" as you described them. They are the norm. No large contract is made without them. It's standard. You know how many contracts of 4 or more years have been signed in the last five years that weren't backloaded? None. Not one. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Magglio is trying to milk the Sox for every spare penny he can get, and it's sickening. If I owned the sox, I'd tell the GM to trade him away today for a guy who cares more about the team winning than maximizing his wallet.

Well if you owned the sox, it sounds like the sox would be comparable to the blackhawks with respect to owners. Mags is not being greedy here and he could be if he wanted to. All he wants is a contract that is not backloaded like the one he has, and we don't even know if he doesn't want to have any money backloaded, just that he doesn't want it to be like the current one. If he wanted to be greedy all he would have to do is tell is his agent to talk to the Red Sox or Yanks. He has not done that to my knowladge.

pearso66
04-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Well if you owned the sox, it sounds like the sox would be comparable to the blackhawks with respect to owners. Mags is not being greedy here and he could be if he wanted to. All he wants is a contract that is not backloaded like the one he has, and we don't even know if he doesn't want to have any money backloaded, just that he doesn't want it to be like the current one. If he wanted to be greedy all he would have to do is tell is his agent to talk to the Red Sox or Yanks. He has not done that to my knowladge.

Actually, wasn't his current contract backloaded also? He is making more this year then he was last year, wasn't the average yearly salary for his contract about $11 mil? If he did it before, why can't he do it again?

munchman33
04-13-2004, 09:29 PM

I can see it's obvious that you aren't going to be persuaded because you simply want Maggs back at any cost, and he could do no wrong in your eyes.

I envy you, but I cannot ignore the fact that Maggs is asking for stipulations in his contract that aren't given to anyone anymore. Plain and simple.

Lets put it this way. He wants more money up front. More money up front = less money to spend next year on other players. That's why I'm calling him greedy. He knows this is the case, and he still fights to get more up front. I wish I could look at him as blindly as you do, but recent trends in baseball have forced my to look at players without the child-like awe I used to have.

Jurr
04-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I think if Maggs got another year and the same backloaded money, he'll stay. Combine that with a positive vibe and a playoff push, we'll be in business. If the Sox fall off the map, he's gone anyway.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 09:38 PM
I can see it's obvious that you aren't going to be persuaded because you simply want Maggs back at any cost, and he could do no wrong in your eyes.

ignorance is bliss

munchman33
04-13-2004, 09:51 PM
ignorance is bliss

LOL I'll agree with you on that.

Mohoney
04-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
...and then trade Borchard for pitching.

Trade Borchard for ANYTHING!

OzzieBall
04-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I think/hope that both parties will realize that the situation for the two of them is too perfect. If Mags can get two years of hitting in front of Frank, and then Paulie takes Frank's place, then Mags will have some seriously good protection. Deal done before the All-Star Break at the latest.

Knock on Wood.