PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Crowd

24thStFan
04-13-2004, 04:39 PM
What was the attendance today? For those of you in attendance, what was the crowd like様oud and rowdy or quiet and laid-back? How did the ballpark look?

Sorry for all the questions, but I知 a long-distance fan.

Can稚 wait for the Twins series in July. I値l be there with 8 members of my family! Go Sox!

soltrain21
04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
They were into it. However, FSN's sound quality is so crappy that it is really hard to tell HOW into they are.

They were definitely going crazy though..

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-13-2004, 04:45 PM
It sounded really loud on the radio. It sounded like a playoff atmosphere. the new roof is great, it makes the crowd much more louder when the stadium is packed.

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Announced attendance Monday was 37,706 and because of comp tickets was deemed a sellout in the park that now has a capacity of 40,615.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20040413_KC@CHW

The Cell is now one of the smallest ballparks in baseball in terms of capacity. I think with the Cell's lopping off of the seats and Wrigley's adding of seats that we are now even smaller (and a whole lot better still) than Wrigley.

soxnut
04-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
They were into it. However, FSN's sound quality is so crappy that it is really hard to tell HOW into they are.

They were definitely going crazy though..

You're right, the FSN's sound quality is awful. It always has been. Good thing they're done after Oct 1. Hopefully Comcast will do a better job.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 04:51 PM
I think that it was a great day all around, the game, the fans, the stadium. in that order.

I was pleased to be able to watch it. For some reason they had it broadcasted on the ship! what a break for me. Everyone else was wondering why they were showing an AL central game. I guess there were no East teams playing.

24thStFan
04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I was pleased to be able to watch it. For some reason they had it broadcasted on the ship! what a break for me. Everyone else was wondering why they were showing an AL central game. I guess there were no East teams playing.

Hope you get home soon to see the Sox in person. Keep up the good work!

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
You're right, the FSN's sound quality is awful. It always has been. Good thing they're done after Oct 1. Hopefully Comcast will do a better job.

Well at least we dont have to deal with WCIU that much. The picture quality is unbearable.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 05:03 PM
i am going to try and get to the baltimore game next month. I am pretty pumped about going to Camden Yards as well as seeing the sox on the road. I have watched them in MN and at wrigley. I love being the oposing fan.

RedPinStripes
04-13-2004, 05:43 PM
The park is great. They did a real nice job. It looks like a baseball stadium. The croud was into it. I didnt see many KC fans. If they were there, they were quiet. (smart fans) Some drunken Sox fan were getting roudy down the ramp.

Jurr
04-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, it sucks that the capacity is down, BUT.........if they have a more hospitable and scenic ballpark, more people will come. What's the point in having a 40,000 seat stadium if 11,000 show up? I bet the energy of Ozzie's new regime will draw a lot more people, as well.

mikef1331
04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
The park looks great! The fans were real excited, the new roof really does make the park sound louder. It was a pain to find parking I missed the first 2 1/2 innings because we had to park at McCormick place.. Still a great game!

Kuzman
04-13-2004, 07:22 PM
i was at work all day and during my lunch i decided to give my uncle (who was at the game) a call.. he picks up and says hello, he says hi i asked him the score then i couldnt hear anything for a good 5 minutes... someone hit a 3 run home run :) GO PAULY!!!
so i got to hear the deafining crowd from my phone, i put it on speaker phone for my work partner to hear, we were both pleased :gulp:

SEALgep
04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Yeah, it sucks that the capacity is down, BUT.........if they have a more hospitable and scenic ballpark, more people will come. I believe next year they are planning a homerun porch in right field to replace the lost capacity. Plus it would be pretty cool.

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 11:16 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/3341658JD003_Royals_W_Sox041320_lower.jpg

This is what a sellout looks like? Lots of no-shows or very cold people who retreated inside

mweflen
04-13-2004, 11:46 PM
It was FREEZING. Bitter, bitter cold. But I was on the 1st base side, which lost the sun early on.

The crowd was very boisterous and in to it. It would have been louder still if people weren't clapping through gloves. :smile:

For some reason, there were HUGE lines for all the bathrooms. I guess when they add a few thousand seats in the Outfield (closing the "moat") and along the lines without adding bathrooms, that's what happens.

The park looks nice, though of course it is mostly window dressing, not changing the actual act of watching the game.

My favorite aesthetic addition is the windscreen around the UD. I think it looks really snazzy! (kind of Bauhaus, for the architecturally inclined among you)

The sound system is MUCH improved. It doesn't sound shrieking and distorted any more. There is even some bass to be felt. Also, possibly because of the reduction in distortion, it's not so FREAKIN' LOUD any more.

Thunderstruck30
04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
It really didnt look like a sellout. There were many empty seats. The official attendance was around 37,000.

kingpin_rcs
04-14-2004, 12:09 AM
The official attendance was around 37,000.

That was the paid attendnace. They said there were over 3000 comps. They didn't say who got all of those comps but I'm guessing that all of the constuction workers from the renovations and their families got free tickets.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
The crowd was awesome and there were multiple times where we were all chanting "ozzie" or "paulie" and all the other staples (oh we oh and the jose thing) in unison. People were into the game, loaiza got a standing ovation (despite the home run-derby) he put on. We made noise, loved the game and ate some churos.

As for the yelling "cubs suck" i think that was perfectly justified. If someone wants to wear a jersey or jacket of the enemy team to our ballbark when they're not even playing they should be ready to take some shots. Just as long as no fisticuffs break out.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-14-2004, 12:15 AM
ps, anyone know the capacity for the cell after the redo on the upperdeck?

WhiteSox = Life
04-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Well, according to this site (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/USCellularField.htm) the capacity is now 41,000 (which may be rounded, unless the Sox took out an exact amount of seats to get to the specified number).

The site seems pretty good, so until somebody finds another number from an(other) irrefutable source, I'm going to go with the above link I found on a second click from a Google search.

mweflen
04-14-2004, 12:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240413104

According to AP, the new capacity is 40,615.

hellenicsoxfan
04-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by 24thStFan
What was the attendance today? For those of you in attendance, what was the crowd like様oud and rowdy or quiet and laid-back? How did the ballpark look?

Sorry for all the questions, but I知 a long-distance fan.

What a great day it was! I was there today in the upper deck. It was cold, but the sun was out, it was Opening Day and the Sox won, so I have no complaints. Here are some of my observations.(I will apologize now for the length of my answer. I am still so pumped up, that I may ramble on too much.)
The park looks great. I never have had a problem with the park but the renovations are giving it a more intimate feeling. The upper deck roof does its job by cutting down on the perception that the upper deck goes up forever. The enclosed upper deck concourse was really helpful on a day like today. While I think that seat color is a way overblown topic, I am convinced that the seats will be some shade of green next year to match all the other renovations.
The pre-game ceremonies were cool and touching. First pitch duties were shared by Ozzie, Luis Aparicio, Chico Carasquel and Dave Concepcion (Ozzie's boyhood idol). Maggs was brought out to join his fellow Venezuelans. This had to be a very proud moment for anyone of Venezuelan descent. Carlton Fisk was a surprise. He came for his buddy and former teammate, Ozzie. Out on the mound, Ozzie was like a kid on Christmas morning, laughing, jumping around and hugging people. It was a great moment.
The touching part was a moment of silence they had for armed service members who were killed and for members of the Sox family who died during the offseason. The names of the Sox folks were read and their pictures were shown on the scoreboard. At the very end, the annnouncer said "And Blackhawk great, Keith Magnuson." When he said this, a cheer went up from the crowd, showing again what a favorite of Chicago fans Maggie remains even after death. I hope someone from the Magnuson family was there to see just how loved Maggie was and still is.
The crowd was large, loud, boisterous and really into the game. When Juan Uribe hit a game tying homer to center field, the crowd was shocked, but really let loose. The highlight, for me at least, was when Konerko came up with the score tied, two men on and two out. (A couple of innings earlier in the same situation, he had struck out.) The fans were on their feet. They were yelling and screaming, chanting "Paulie, Paulie, Paulie!" Then when he it the home run, the place just erupted. The park was rocking. Even after he got to the dugout, the crowd kept shouting "Paulie, Paulie" until he came out for a curtain call. It was an awesome moment.
Two more Sox runners got thown out on the base paths. There is a fine line between being aggressive and being dumb. After the last three years of Jerry Manuel's SnoozeFest, however, I was excited to see guys trying to make things happen. I hope they keep running and trying to force things.
I think I've rambled long enough now. As you can see, Opening Day was great. It left me very optimistic about the season and I think you really have something to look forward to when you come in July.

SSN721
04-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Yesterday was fantastic, I was at the top of the UD so I had the shade all day and being right by the windscreen it certainly wasnt warm whenever the wind would pick up. But other then the cold it was fantastic, the atmosphere was wonderful, I thought it was quite touching in pregame when Fisk came out the crowd just roared and Ozzie and Fisk embraced several times, it was great. And the game of course was just a lot of fun, when Paulie hit the three run homer the place just erupted, everyone was very boisterous and into the game and most of the crowd stayed until the end as well. Probably because we couldnt trust a big lead after the KC game last week. :cool: But I had a great time and the place looked great.

Wsoxmike59
04-14-2004, 06:46 AM
I was in the LF Bleachers yesterday and the crowd was really into the game. The weather in the bleachers was fine. Sitting in the sun I was able to take off my coat at the start of the game and I was quite comfortable in just a sweatshirt.

The first thing I noticed upon entering was how clean and nice the park looked. The sprucing up and new renovations give the park a dramatic new look and feel.

By the end of the 6th inning the lower concourse bathroom lines were just ridiculously long, so I ventured up to the UD to check out the roof and watch the 7th inning.

I sat in the 18th row down the RF line and it was noticably cooler up there with no sunlight to warm you. But the sightlines were good and yes the new pillars do take some getting use to. They spaced them well so that the pillars are in the aisles and not the seating area.

I went back downstairs and hooked up with some friends in the lower boxes for the final 2 innings. This was one of the best Opening Days I ever experienced.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I was up in the UD, but the left field concourse looked packed, like 6-7 deep to watch the game. I think that could make up for some of those empty seats here and there. The outfield looked good with that many people lingering around out in back, but i could understand the bathroom problems created.

steff
04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/3341658JD003_Royals_W_Sox041320_lower.jpg

This is what a sellout looks like? Lots of no-shows or very cold people who retreated inside

What you don't see is that the concourse was 15 to 20 deep all the way around. And the bar was packed! They were also allowing those from the UD down so a lot of those empty seats were likely due to that. Regardless.. the park was packed.. and it was nice.

mrwag
04-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Yea, it was definately a sell out. The outfield concourse and fan deck were absolutely PACKED like sardines.

Jerko
04-14-2004, 08:31 AM
My only complaint about yesterday, as mentioned before, were the ridiculous bathroom lines. I thought the UD policy was supposed to end all that. At least have a few extra porta potties on hand like they used to for sellouts! Other than that it was a great day; park was nice, seeing Fisk was nice, the game obviously was the best part, etc.

hellenicsoxfan
04-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
My only complaint about yesterday, as mentioned before, were the ridiculous bathroom lines.

I was up in Section 506. When I first went in the washroom, the lines looked ridiculously long. But once I moved in, I realized that about half those people were in there thawing out and the actual lines seemed to be moving rather quickly.

Tekijawa
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Lots of empty seats but it looke like there were a TON of people along the walk way around the outfield... I was one of Many Drunk people there, in a croud which seemed to be about 37,000 Males waiting in line to go to the bathroom... Great atmosphere, lots of tail gating... great day over all. Although I'm paying for it this morning, I don't remember when these lights in my office got so bright but it really hurts!

skobabe8
04-14-2004, 11:59 AM
I had a great time in the LF bleachers! I noticed that there were some open seats in the UD, especially along the first base line, but the outfield concourse was PACKED. I too went upstairs in like the 5th inning to use the bathoom up there, and the ushers were pretty lax about letting people into the lower level. So its definately possible alot of people came downstairs to stand in the warm sun. The park overall looked fantastic, and the padding all aroud the field is a nice dark green. Sign of things to come? we'll see! The roof and the fan deck (also packed) looked awesome. An after Paulies dinger, the place just shook! :D:

BeerHandle
04-14-2004, 12:20 PM
The crowd was rocking. The stadium looks great.