PDA

View Full Version : Koch actually looks like a pitcher now

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Watching Koch today, I must remark that he looks so much better than last year. He was changing speeds effectively, using different types of fastballs and hitting a respectable 95+ on the gun at points. He has had some bad luck so far this year in terms of defense, but so far he looks like a legitimite closer right now. He's working a lot quicker now too. He practically went 0-2 on every single batter.

Kudos to Billy Koch!

thecell
04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Time to update your sig to 2-0 for Loaiza...you may want to leave his ERA out though...lol

SoxxoS
04-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I am going to hold off on the Billy Koch resurrection until Mid-May.

Baby Fisk
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Koch is doing OK, and the 9th was made difficult through no fault of his own. But I'm still not sold. I may never be, actually. Let's see a couple of tight situations first.

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Time to update your sig to 2-0 for Loaiza...you may want to leave his ERA out though...lol

Just did. Thanks

ChiSox7
04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Koch is doing OK, and the 9th was made difficult through no fault of his own. But I'm still not sold. I may never be, actually. Let's see a couple of tight situations first.

He's already got one, when he got the save last wednesday in a 1-run game. But we will need to see him in a few more. He does look good so far though.

inta
04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
i'm a huge koch fan after watching what he did in oakland, and i love what i see so far.
he was a bit off last year but i think manuel just really messed his head up and that made things alot worse.

Jurr
04-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I think it's the fact that he has resigned himself into being a pitcher with the stuff he has instead of trying to be so ultra cocky that he believes he can still get up to 100. He's worried more about locating and getting his pitches over than blowing it by a guy to get a 3 K 9th. He has now seen that closing a game isn't as easy as he once thought, and he'll take his outs any way that they come. I also think the fact that he's not having to look over his shoulder helps out a ton, as well.

NonetheLoaiza
04-14-2004, 01:08 AM
the jury is still out until may for me. i do like what i have seen tho. he concentrated on locating his pitches first, and it seems that the velocity is coming back. like i think someone said above, he has to outsmart hitters rather than just going up there and trying to blow it by them.

SSN721
04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I have liked his performance very much so far. It always seems like we walk a tightrope with him when we put him in but at least so far he has managed to get the job done without blowing anything. I dont know if he will regain his form from that great year in Oakland but I think he is looking capable at the very least to get 25-30 saves this year if we stick by him and put him in in save situations. I would like to see a few more close games with him before I am entirely convinced though.

gosox41
04-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Watching Koch today, I must remark that he looks so much better than last year. He was changing speeds effectively, using different types of fastballs and hitting a respectable 95+ on the gun at points. He has had some bad luck so far this year in terms of defense, but so far he looks like a legitimite closer right now. He's working a lot quicker now too. He practically went 0-2 on every single batter.

Kudos to Billy Koch!

I may be mistaken, but I was watching Koch pitch at the game yesterday. I made a point of watching the radar gun. I saw one pitch at 94MPH. Most were 90-91.

Bob

DrummerGeorgefan
04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
I sure squeezed the hell out of the CTA stress ball they gave me on the sox-35th stop when they but koch in.

Were those balls especially for the 9th inning

Baby Fisk
04-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
I think it's the fact that he has resigned himself into being a pitcher with the stuff he has instead of trying to be so ultra cocky that he believes he can still get up to 100. He's worried more about locating and getting his pitches over than blowing it by a guy to get a 3 K 9th. He has now seen that closing a game isn't as easy as he once thought, and he'll take his outs any way that they come. I also think the fact that he's not having to look over his shoulder helps out a ton, as well.
If this is Koch's new 2004 Mentality, that's a good sign.

Cocky Koch = L's
Thinking Koch = SV's

Clarkdog
04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I may be mistaken, but I was watching Koch pitch at the game yesterday. I made a point of watching the radar gun. I saw one pitch at 94MPH. Most were 90-91.

Bob

I saw that as well - however in NY he hit 97 a few times as well. What I like is that he around the plate, and locating. He tests that outside corner, and he is pretty consistent at hitting it or just missing. He is also changing speeds. If he can figure out how to throw that big hook for a strike - he could dominate again.

SoxxoS
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Call me Cleo.

This guy sucks.

MRKARNO
04-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Can I retract my opinion? Because I just did

beckett21
04-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Can I retract my opinion? Because I just did

First, let me check to make sure I haven't made any Pro-Koch comments in this thread....

*PHEW* ok...

You have repented, you shall be forgiven. For your penance, you must forsake Schoe's Foes and focus your energy on an anti-Koch campaign to cleanse yourself and our beloved team of his stench!

:)

A. Cavatica
04-14-2004, 09:54 PM
(complete this:)

Looks like a pitcher, gives it up like a...