PDA

View Full Version : Is Alternate Black becoming Permanent Black?


Baby Fisk
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
The Sox have played 6 road games so far, wearing black 5 times and grey only once. I for one LOVE the darth vader look and wouldn't mind if black became the permanent road colour, but is it starting to get out of hand for the purists around here? Just wondering if there's others who obsess over things like uniforms... :?:

sas1974
04-13-2004, 11:08 AM
How about adding black pants as well? That would be a pretty bold look.

dickallen15
04-13-2004, 11:08 AM
They were playing well in the black, so for superstitious reasons they kept wearing them.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
They were playing well in the black, so for superstitious reasons they kept wearing them.


if that is true, i bet oz had somethign to do with that. that guy is superstitious as anyone who played the game, i love it.

Fisk72
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
How about adding black pants as well? That would be a pretty bold look.

This was brought up back in the fall sometime and I remember someone drawing up sketches. Although the color scheme sounds cool, it really doesn't look that good. Plus, think of how hot it would be at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon on a hot, sunny July Sunday. The Sox have always been famous for making "bold" moves when it comes to uniforms. I say we shouldn't mess with a good thing - keep everything the way it is right now.

SoxxoS
04-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
if that is true, i bet oz had somethign to do with that. that guy is superstitious as anyone who played the game, i love it.

I think Turk Wendell, yee of the brushing teeth in the dugout during a game and $99,999 contract (or something like that) takes the cake for most superstitous.

SoxxoS
04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
How about adding black pants as well? That would be a pretty bold look.

I think if we were still playing corpseball the black pants would be fitting, as we looked like we were going to a funeral...but it's a new regime now.

Cubbiesuck13
04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
I think Turk Wendell, yee of the brushing teeth in the dugout during a game and $99,999 contract (or something like that) takes the cake for most superstitous.


touche

sas1974
04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
This was brought up back in the fall sometime and I remember someone drawing up sketches. Although the color scheme sounds cool, it really doesn't look that good. Plus, think of how hot it would be at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon on a hot, sunny July Sunday. The Sox have always been famous for making "bold" moves when it comes to uniforms. I say we shouldn't mess with a good thing - keep everything the way it is right now.

I bet it probably looks like a softball uniform. I really don't think it would be a good look. I was just sort of tossing it out there.

JRIG
04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Personally I hate the black top/grey pants looks. I love our regular road uniform. I noticed too that we haven't even worn it this year. I think the starting pitcher usually chooses the shirt on the road. I really think the regular road uniform looks sharp. The black I can do without.

eriqjaffe
04-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I prefer the road grey (and the home white, in fact) to the black top, but I imagine that it provides a little bit of extra warmth during these early-season day games, so I'd expect to see a lot of the black tops for a while.

Yorke97
04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Personally, I would love to see a 50's roadie like they had against Cleveland last year.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Yorke97
Personally, I would love to see a 50's roadie like they had against Cleveland last year.

Ugh. For one game they were fine, but the Sox current road greys are perfect. There's no reason to change them. They are classy and clean...awesome.

delben91
04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
I prefer the road grey (and the home white, in fact) to the black top, but I imagine that it provides a little bit of extra warmth during these early-season day games, so I'd expect to see a lot of the black tops for a while.

I'm with you in liking the road grey uniforms. Best road uniform in the game in my opinion.

Dadawg_77
04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
The Sox may need to wear the Alternate Jersey so many times, thus wear the Black before it gets hot out.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
We go through this argument once a month. The current Sox uniforms are the best in their team history and one of the best sets in major league baseball. They should not be TOUCHED for years. They're perfect.

sas1974
04-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Can you imagine the uproar if someone suggested changing the Yankees' unis?

Stoky44
04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
I love our home and black uniforms, so I would not change them. I thought the black pants idea would look awesome, and when there are really hot day don't wear the black pants. We only play about one day game a week and that is the only point when wearing black would make the players hot, i.e. no sun at night. I had pictures of how the black pants would look before, I saved them on my computer and will post them again.

I, however, don't like the road jersey now. I would love to see the team go back to a more classic lettering, like in the 1950's.
Also, how about having a road hat. Keep the same hat as we have now, just make the brim grey.


Here is a picture with our current 3 uni's with black pants and my proposed new road unis.

Black Pants Picture Thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=26381&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show)

miker
04-13-2004, 12:22 PM
While we're at it, how about black shorts! :smile:

Just kidding. Go Sox!

Brian26
04-13-2004, 12:44 PM
No offense, but the dark pants look awful. Let's leave that look to the Northwestern Wildcats and the 1977 White Sox.

Baby Fisk
04-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Good grief those black pants are hideous. Too "Pittsburgh", too "softball".

I agree that the current unies are the best in baseball and should not be changed under penalty of another Hangar boycott.

However, if you could vote for a historic Sox unie to bring back for a throwback day, which would you want to see? The 50's greys seem to be popular but they look kinda bland. I love the navy-navy unies from 1906 with high white socks and the classy "CHICAGO" lettering across the front. Veeck sorta brought these back in 1976, but they looked cheap. With modern production, these could look great today.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
They can bring back anything they want for one throwback day a year, but there's no way in hell they should change their current uniform scheme. It's perfect.

Personally, I've always wanted to see Frank in the '77 Southside Hitmen pajamas. Would love to see that next year.

pudge
04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
FYI, just a reason as to why we're wearing black so much early on, I think it has something to do with so many day games - they tend to wear those unis as their "day" outfit.

SpringfldFan
04-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many people love the grey road top. To me it looks b-o-r-i-n-g. It isn't nostalgic because it doesn't really look like previous road tops. My main gripe is the "Chicago" script. It is small and has no character unless you call "3rd grade penmanship instruction" distinctive. It is almost as if they were ashamed to put the name of the city on there.

I say keep the grey/black color scheme, but use the same design the Sox had in the early 70's where below the script "Chicago" was a tail containing the words "White Sox". I believe that that is the only uniform in the history of MLB to feature both the city and nickname of the team on the front of a jersey. Now *that's* disticnctive. Use that uniform - just change its light blue to grey and the red to black - voila!

SpringfldFan
04-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Here is my illustration of my aforementioned road grey uniform. My artistry leaves plenty to be desired but that notwithstanding, I think this design is attractive in its simplicity yet has more character and tradition then the current version.

RustyKuntz
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I think the current uniforms look great. I'd just like to see them actually wear white socks.

I think it's historical and distinctive.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
I believe that that is the only uniform in the history of MLB to feature both the city and nickname of the team on the front of a jersey. Now *that's* disticnctive

The San Diego Padres also had that in the 1970's.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Here is my illustration of my aforementioned road grey uniform. My artistry leaves plenty to be desired but that notwithstanding, I think this design is attractive in its simplicity yet has more character and tradition then the current version.

The Campbell's Soup "C" that looks like an "E" has always blown. The current road greys are the best.

eriqjaffe
04-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The San Diego Padres also had that in the 1970's.

So did the, uh, Cubs. Twice. In 1909:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1909_chicago_01.gif

And again in 1917:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1917_chicago_01.gif

I would, however, like to see the number on the sleeve again, like SpringfldFan's idea. I always really like that look when I see it in old pictures. Something about that look just screams, "glory years" to me.

--Eriq.

scottyl
04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I'm with you in liking the road grey uniforms. Best road uniform in the game in my opinion.

It absolutely is. I'm hoping the preponderance of the black jerseys is simply because they've been winning in them a bit. The gray road uniforms are the best. They should never go away.

My apologies, but black pants would be awful. Whoever said they would look like a softball uniform had it right.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
This was brought up back in the fall sometime and I remember someone drawing up sketches. Although the color scheme sounds cool, it really doesn't look that good. Plus, think of how hot it would be at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon on a hot, sunny July Sunday. The Sox have always been famous for making "bold" moves when it comes to uniforms. I say we shouldn't mess with a good thing - keep everything the way it is right now.

Black pants would be a disaster. I can't tell you how bad that would look. NFL teams are doing the same color pants as shirts look and it's really ugly. Our uniforms should not be touched right now. The only thing I would like is an alternate cap with a silver bill on the road.

And we wore the black tops almost every road game last year and a substantial amount of the home games. In the past, the black was definitely an 'alternate.' I personally love the black jerseys, they're intimidating and classic. And we were the first ones to do that. The Blue Jays look like fools...the Mariners tried it...they looked like idiots.

SoxxoS
04-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Black pants would be a disaster. I can't tell you how bad that would look. NFL teams are doing the same color pants as shirts look and it's really ugly. Our uniforms should not be touched right now. The only thing I would like is an alternate cap with a silver bill on the road.

And we wore the black tops almost every road game last year and a substantial amount of the home games. In the past, the black was definitely an 'alternate.' I personally love the black jerseys, they're intimidating and classic. And we were the first ones to do that. The Blue Jays look like fools...the Mariners tried it...they looked like idiots.

The new Oregon Duck all yellow uni's are awesome!!!

What the hell were they thinking over at Nike?

batmanZoSo
04-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The new Oregon Duck all yellow uni's are awesome!!!

What the hell were they thinking over at Nike?

I haven't seen them. But I p### on anything that resembles the mustard and relish (not green and "gold") of Green Bay.

They must be pretty horrible though. That's like the Bears wearing orange tops and orange pants because that's their secondary color.

DSpivack
04-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I haven't seen them. But I p### on anything that resembles the mustard and relish (not green and "gold") of Green Bay.

They must be pretty horrible though. That's like the Bears wearing orange tops and orange pants because that's their secondary color.

My alma mater Evanston H.S. has pretty much the same colors as the Bears and once featured orange pants with orange tops.... man was that hideous.

Paid Santiago
04-14-2004, 03:35 AM
why does every ATTACHED IMAGE LOOK LIKE A RED X FOR ME?

voodoochile
04-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Paid Santiago
why does every ATTACHED IMAGE LOOK LIKE A RED X FOR ME?

Click the http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/top_profile.gif button at the top of any forum and then edit options to see if you are allowing images and attachments to be viewed. It's towards the bottom of the list.

Railsplitter
04-14-2004, 08:24 AM
I don't mind the Sox using the Alternate black, as they were the one who pioneered it, but now it's it's getting out of hand. Even team that hve no black in thier unis have a black shirt, like the "Blue" Jays and Royals (suppsoedly as in royal blue). It's getting to the point where you won't be able to tell one team from another. If you think I'm joking, comsider this: One time some years ago I was grazing with the TV remote and hit TBS when a Braves game was on. Since the runner wore a sleeveless gray top over something black, I thought the Braves were playing the Pirates. Imagine my surprise at seeing the other team was the Marlins, who I remember once being unique when they wore teal.

wdelaney72
04-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by delben91
I'm with you in liking the road grey uniforms. Best road uniform in the game in my opinion.

You are absolutely correct.

Seriously, no other team's road uniforms even come close. Except maybe the '77 Pirates Road unifroms.