PDA

View Full Version : Early morning media coverage...

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Well...so far...so good...at least for the TV stations that are covering the Sox home opener. It's 6 AM right now, and channels 2, 5, 7, and 32 have reporters at U.S. Cellular Field talking about today's game vs. Kansas City. Susan Carlson (Sox fan who cheered for the Cubs in the playoffs last year) is there for CuBS 2, Peggy Kusinski is there for NBC 5, Stacey Baca is doing the thing for ABC, and John Dempsey represents Fox 32. I'll give some credit to ABC 7 for an AWESOME helicopter shot of the new roof at the Cell...makes me want to be there more even though I can't make it. NBC 5 has some good shots...maily of the new fan deck in center field, but the whole place looks great from the air. Fox 32 shows some great views from the new upper deck, even though Dempsey says the UD is "just as steep as before." He says the UD looks "realy, really nice" from the outside. Anyway, if you're noticing WGN not being on this list, you're not seeing things...so far, the only things I've seen from WGN about the Sox home opener are some graphics on the screen and some occasional mentions of the game...no live reporters yet.

As far as the interviews are concerned, 2, 5, and 7 are really doing great. Each of them have talked to at least one person, Christine O'Reilly, the team's Marketing and Community Relations Director, and she's been talking about a lot of the promotions the Sox will have this season, including fireworks nights, charity events, and stuff for today's game. For those of you who will be there, look forward to seeing a ceremony honoring Ozzie Guillen and his Venezuelan heritage featuring Luis Aparicio and others. Reporters say he's the first Venezuelan to manage a big league team...isn't Tony Pena Venezuelan? Also...if the winds are calm enough, look for parachutists to jump an American flag into the ballpark during the national anthem. Some stations have interviewes this chef (forgot his name) talking about some of the food club-level watchers can enjoy. Dick Johnson of NBC 5 tried to get him to talk about the food UD and LD fans can eat, but there wasn't much talk about that from the chef. Kevin Hickey, former pitcher and current coach, was also on TV. I didn't know Hickey was a native south sider who used to sneak into old Comiskey. How about that? Stacey Baca gave a pretty good in-detail report about the Cell's renovations. So far, I think that's the best report from the south side yet.

Single seats are STILL AVAILABLE for today's game...other than that, the game is SOLD OUT. Now...Bruce Wolf is at the Cell (6:25 AM), and he's wearing a Sox cap and jacket. He, and Patrick Elwood (native south sider) were giving Nancy Loo fits about her being a Cubs fan. Hey...Bill Murray can sing pretty good...that was the only good thing about yesterday's game other than the Pirates raking the Cubs' butts over the coals. Looks like that Maddux deal isn't looking that good after all, eh? Dusty Baker said he's never seen Maddux walk a batter...you ain't seen nuthin' yet, Dusty.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Terry Savarise and Don Williams are on CBS 2 right now...at 6:50 AM...Savarise says he and Williams will "figure out" Phase 5 of the renovations after their interview with Susan Carlson. Anyway, Don Williams is with HKS, the architects who designed the new UD. Savarise is the VP of Operations with the Sox...in case you didn't know. And FINALLY...Mike Barz from WGN is at the Cell talking about the renovations. I guess WGN's live coverage starts now...they and Fox 32's coverage really gets intensive starting in the 7 AM hour. That chef was also talking with Bruce Wolf...and it looks like Wolf either just bought that Sox jacket he's wearing, or he's only borrowing it. There's a tag hanging from his wrist.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Bruce Wolf and Tamron Hall are at the Cell now...and they just interviewed Kevin Hickey...they really did a good job in their 4-minute talk. Not to mention, Fox News in the Morning opened with a special graphic and sounder...a "special edition" of the morning news, the "Sox home opener." Talk about putting on a good effort for the south siders...GREAT JOB!!!!!

WGN's Mike Barz says there will be some fun at the Cell this morning...including him taking batting practice in the bullpen. Nothing spectacular so far...but I'll keep you posted in case something develops.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Barz is taking some rips in the bullpen with Kevin Hickey throwing to him. He looks somewhat impressive. And Bruce and Tamron are yucking it up over Cubs' lowlights from yesterday. Note this...Tamron is calling U.S. Cellular Field, "The Cell". Fox also plans on interviewing Willie Harris during the 8 o'clock hour. I didn't catch any interviews on WGN...but to their credit, whatever lack of coverage they had between 5:30 to 7 is being made up for from now until 9.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:37 AM
They're telling the Fox reporters the same things they've been telling other reporters...top 8 rows of UD gone and lowered the UD by 25 feet. Phase 5 renovations will be dealt with after the morning interviews are done, but they're saying the new phase will be "cosmetic"...no mention of a right field UD. Also, the padding on the outfield fence looks either charcoal or dark green...can't really tell from the camera angle. There's a Miller Lite sign in front of the left field wall, but I don't see any other graphics on the wall. And much to Hangar 18's dismay...the ads are still up in the outfield behind the seats. I guess you can't have it all.

Earlier reports say the Sox have spent $41 million in renovation costs. John Dempsey said it was "money well spent."

doublem23
04-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

Earlier reports say the Sox have spent $41 million in renovation costs. John Dempsey said it was "money well spent."

Only in this city are people more concerned with the ballpark than the product on the field.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Only in this city are people more concerned with the ballpark than the product on the field. That's only on the north side. But let's be honest...the "Cell" looks pretty nice. You should know better, though...all the renovations and changes mean nothing if the product on the field isn't worth the effort in attending. Still, there's no sin in having a nice ballpark...or a ballpark nicer than what was.

thepaulbowski
04-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Rob Gallas is currently on the Loop talking about the promotions they run through the year.

Also, did you hear Bruce Wolf make of the six month love affair that Nancy Loo (sp?) has with the Cubs, it was pretty funny. That was on about 6:15 this morning. I was dying laughing.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Willie Harris interviewed with Mike Barz...Willie says he's been "waiting for a while" to play 2nd base, and "hopefully now, it's my time to play some baseball." Harris says the Sox played some "good, solid baseball" against New York, and the team is pretty pleased with the split over the weekend. He also isn't used to the cold weather in Chicago, but he's not complaining since "the other team has to play in it". He says "we gotta get a win, today.", and he's so "energetic and pumped" to play. The weather won't affect him at 1 o'clock and he'll be "ready to play, whether it's 20 degrees or 79 degrees...just gotta be ready."

He's got a good attitude...definitely a result of Ozzie.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Tamron's yucking it up with Kevin Hickey. He's tossing her a few pitches...she couldn't hit to save her life. Oh well...that's entertainment. David Navarro says his 6-year-old can hit better than her.

And yes...nancy Loo admitted on the show she's a Cubs fan. Go figure...at least she says there will be "balanced reporting" this morning.

Hondo
04-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Great Job keeping us who don't live in Chicago and aren't near TV's on what's going on, hsnterprize!!!

So they keep saying they'll discuss Phase 5 after the interviews. Does that mean they'll make announcements today??

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Hondo
Great Job keeping us who don't live in Chicago and aren't near TV's on what's going on, hsnterprize!!!

So they keep saying they'll discuss Phase 5 after the interviews. Does that mean they'll make announcements today?? No announcements today. They're going to discuss exactly what's going to happen. I wouldn't anticipate any announcements just yet. Even though we've seen renderings, don't expect anything...at least not yet.

Details about a Mike Barz interview with the Tribune sports editor coming up...talking about both teams, and this guy's NOT TO HAPPY with the Cubs right now.

Hokiesox
04-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey hangar,

How did you get Hsn's password? :)

Just kidding, thanks for the updates.

anewman35
04-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Hondo

So they keep saying they'll discuss Phase 5 after the interviews. Does that mean they'll make announcements today??

I'm sure not. I think that meant that the Sox are going to discuss it with HKS, but it would be months before they announced anything. It wouldn't make any sense to announce things today anyway, it would just make people think the park was bad this year.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Dan McGrath is the sports editor of the Tribune. He told Mike Dusty Baker was "bummed" about Maddux's performance yesterday. Baker said he'd never seen Maddux hit batters, walk in runs, and have a "lack of enthusiasm." The performance, according to McGrath, was a "listless" one. The weather played a part, but the Pirates played like "kids coming out for recess." McGrath said before the Prior injury news, people were putting out the Cubs World Series pitching rotation, but the Cubs "only won 88 games last year. And if Houston hadn't layed an egg against Milwaukee in the last week (of the season), they may not have won the division." McGrath says the Cubs "won't surprize anybody" this year, and that many people were acting like it was a "given" the Cubs would face the Yankees in the World Series this year.

As far as the Sox are concerned, McGrath is impressed with the team. He says the Sox "are gonna score" this year. McGrath also says in spite of all the Prior/Wood hype, Mark Buehrle "might be the best pitcher in the city." He likes Maggs hitting 3rd, they Sox will score a lot of runs, and the team will be solid if the bullpen holds up.

2 more things...any Mark Prior rumors about needing Tommy John surgery are FALSE. A New Jersey newspaper...the same one saying Greg Maddux was going to the Yankees, says Prior's throwing elbow would need surgery and he'd be out for the year. Totally disregard those rumors. And...Bruce and Tamron are talking with that chef again.

hsnterprize
04-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Willie Harris was on Fox...don't know what he said...caught the tail end of it. Also, a financial analyst will be on Fox talking about how the Sox are marketing themselves this season. And...Fox is showing Tamron "sliding" into home at Wrigley Field yesterday. It was a pathetic head-first deal...she hurt her wrist. Oh...poor baby.

Gotta run. Looks like the opening day coverage so far is pretty good. Go Sox...bring home a winner!!!!!

DrummerGeorgefan
04-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Yep Fox has been doing a good job going back every 8-10 minutes or so like they did for the Flubs. You also got to appreciate Bruce Wolf's potshots at Tamron Hall for being a cub fan

eriqjaffe
04-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Reporters say he's the first Venezuelan to manage a big league team...isn't Tony Pena Venezuelan?

Tony Peņa, incidentally, is from the Dominican Republic, at least according to Baseball Reference.

Brian26
04-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Tamron's yucking it up with Kevin Hickey. He's tossing her a few pitches...she couldn't hit to save her life. Oh well...that's entertainment.

Hell yeah, it is. :D:

QueerGirrl
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Bruce Wolf and Tamron Hall are at the Cell now...and they just interviewed Kevin Hickey...they really did a good job in their 4-minute talk.

I saw this interview this morning and the funny thing that I noticed was when Tamron told Kevin that Bruce was a huge Sox fan. Kevin said "Really? I couldn't tell." quite sarcastically. Neither Tamron nor Bruce replied because they were too busy yapping at each other. That gave me a huge chuckle this morning.

GO SOX!!!!!

maurice
04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
As mentioned elsewhere, the SCORE did not broadcast live from the 35th St. el station, in sharp contrast to their cubbie-loving activity the previous morning. However, their coverage was reasonably good, in comparision to the extremely low standards for Sox coverage set by their morning show. On the down side, they provided plenty of cubs coverage, and I did not hear any discussion of any issues pertaining to Sox baseball itself. Most of the Sox coverage I heard involved the tired discussion of why attendance is lagging. They put on a series of idiot callers, who made the familiar tired (and usually factually incorrect) excuses.

For example, the ridiculous argument that Wrigley is more accessable was raised (notwithstanding the fact that the Cell is a shorter trip from downtown on the very same el line, closer to a major expressway, and has tons of parking). One caller complained that the drive to the Cell was too far on a work night from his home in freaking Dekalb. (Yeah, no kidding, 'billy.) Another caller complained that, unlike Detroit, there's no place to eat within a ten minute drive of the park. (As expressed in other current threads, there are more good places to eat within a ten minute walk of the Cell than within the entire city of Detroit.) Finally, some ignoramous complained that Wrigley is safer and was promptly hung up on. (Apparently, he thinks that parking a mile from a stadium in a relatively high-crime area populated by white folks is safer than parking 20 feet from a stadium in a low-crime area near black folks.)

To his credit, Murphy pretty much shot down each excuse accurately. A caller pointed out that the projects in Bronzeville have been torn down and, if anybody would bother to check it out, they'd notice that the neighborhood is actually a very nice and expensive one.

It looks like the Hangar-led efforts finally may be affecting the coverage. Keep up the good work, gentlemen!

ChiSox14305635
04-13-2004, 06:31 PM
As usual, Mariotti's coverage was crappy. He spewed about Mags contract, the upper deck at the Cell and Reinsdorf's failure to retain Colon. No mention of the great Yankees series and the great hitting. His "guest host" was Paul Sullivan from the Tribune. Sullivan did more talking about the Sox than Mariotti did. And Mariotti was still all too giddy to talk about the Cubs. Glad to hear the rest of the coverage was pretty balanced, and Boers and Bernstein had another quality show today.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Bruce Wolf and Tamron Hall are at the Cell now...and they just interviewed Kevin Hickey...they really did a good job in their 4-minute talk. Not to mention, Fox News in the Morning opened with a special graphic and sounder...a "special edition" of the morning news, the "Sox home opener." Talk about putting on a good effort for the south siders...GREAT JOB!!!!!

WGN's Mike Barz says there will be some fun at the Cell this morning...including him taking batting practice in the bullpen. Nothing spectacular so far...but I'll keep you posted in case something develops.

I didn't mind seeing Tamron in those tight jeans. Too bad it was so cold, though. :(:

But they did do a great job for us. And unlike the cubs, we justified all the hub-ub.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by maurice

Another caller complained that, unlike Detroit, there's no place to eat within a ten minute drive of the park. (As expressed in other current threads, there are more good places to eat within a ten minute walk of the Cell than within the entire city of Detroit.)

Last I checked, the Cell was a ten minute drive from DOWNTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that.

What about Chinatown? You could freakin walk there from the park. Good god.

soxnut
04-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I didn't mind seeing Tamron in those tight jeans. Too bad it was so cold, though. :(:

You got that right. She is a hottie, and that's all I can say on a family website.... :D: :smile:

ChiSox14305635
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

But they did do a great job for us. And unlike the cubs, we justified all the hub-ub.

I missed Tamron Jones in tight jeans? ARRRRGHHHH!!!!!! :angry: