PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for optimism?

Jurr
04-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Well, what do you think, people? Does this team have a shot?
The Twins and Royals aren't that potent, especially considering the Twinks don't have a pen. Detroit isn't going to be a top dog most likely, so that leaves the Sox.
1.We hung with the Yankees in an emotional home opener for the so-called New Murderer's Row, and we could've won them all if a couple of things would've gone differently.
2.We've shown a good resilience to two situations that would've killed the Sox last year. The first one is the big meltdown on opening day, followed by getting shut down by a good pitcher to open the Yanks game. How many times in the last two or three years have the Sox turned either of these situation into a one week malaise? It seems like Ozzie's taking hold.
3. The starting pitching has been surprisingly good. Hopefully that continues. It has to help the confidence of Schoeneweis and Garland to be able to pitch to the best hitters they'll see all year and put up strong innings. Plus, it seems like the bullpen has calmed down a tad since the opening day problem.
4. We've actually got bats to begin this year! Magglio's been very hot, and Jose's starting to find his stroke. We're still waiting on Frank to heat up, but you know he'll be okay. Willie Harris is getting his act together, and PK isn't clamming up to begin his year.
5. We're aggressive on the basepaths. We're trying to move runners, we're getting runs based on hustle, and players can actually drop a bunt down this year!

Now, don't get me wrong. This is going to be a fight for the AL Central. However, I've got that MLB extra innings package, and I've been watching our competition. They all look much more flawed than the Sox. I think we'll be in good position to make a run at the crown by the all star break, where we'll be in the market for a little extra help. Plus, if we make the playoffs and God willing, have a spike in attendance, I don't think keeping our talent will be a colossal problem. Maybe the Ozzie Guillen project will turn out well for us. Like Hawk said, it's an exciting time for the fans.

doublem23
04-13-2004, 01:23 AM
If the season pans out the way the first week has unfolded, I'd say there is plenty of good reason to be optimistic.

samram
04-13-2004, 08:58 AM
14 runs allowed in 4 games against the Yanks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the lowest total any team holds them to in a four game series all year.

Dadawg_77
04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
There are four reasons for hope for the White Sox.

1> Twins
2> Royals
3> Tigers
4> Tribe

Dadawg_77
04-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by samram
14 runs allowed in 4 games against the Yanks. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the lowest total any team holds them to in a four game series all year.

We got lucky too, Garland and Shoe would have been blown out if a few batted balls were a foot in the other direction. But that is baseball.

jabrch
04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Reason to be optimistic? Sure

Our starting pitching, has been excellent.

Our bats have been even better than expected.

Ozzie has the players playing like they care

We are 3-3 after 4 road games at NYY and KC.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Yes we played well against good teams last week. But in the past few years the team has always played well against the better teams in the league.

What has always scared me is that we will play down to teams like TB and lose a 3 game series. Ozzie's gotta keep them motivated to crush teams like TB

longwood
04-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
Yes we played well against good teams last week. But in the past few years the team has always played well against the better teams in the league.

What has always scared me is that we will play down to teams like TB and lose a 3 game series. Ozzie's gotta keep them motivated to crush teams like TB

Sure that's a possibility, but with the "Small Ball" mentality that Ozzie is bringing to the team, it keeps us in the game when the bats get cold.

Hit and running, extending a double out of a single, stealing a base puts pressure on the defense and takes them out of position creating better opportunities for that line drive to get thru. Manufacturing runs is what its all about. It also keeps the team energy level up.

I like what I see. The combination of the hitting talent along with the agressiveness on the bases makes them exciting to watch and optimizm for this year! Doesn't just the thought of Polly stealing a base make you smile?

Heading out to the game!

MRKARNO
04-13-2004, 10:47 AM
This is going to be a fun and successful year. I dont see us possibly finishing more than 5 games out of first barring a miracle by another team.

delben91
04-13-2004, 10:53 AM
I like what I've seen from the Sox so far, but I think that 6 games is too small a sample. If they go 4-2 this week against KC and Tampa Bay, then I'll unbridle my optimism.

GO SOX!!

Nick@Nite
04-13-2004, 11:02 AM
If we hold serve this home stand (2-1 would be nice --- 3-0 would be great --- 6-0 vs Royals & Drays would be off the charts awesome), it'll be cause for mucho optimism... at least from me.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Of course there is reason for optimism...the Sox play in the A.L. "Comedy Central."

With respect I think the more pertinent question would be...can this team even get to, let alone win a World Series.

Lip

Jurr
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
This team (nucleus) has always had the talent to compete with anyone. Look at every time that the Sox made their little run the last few seasons. Every commentator, even Gammons say that the Sox have the talent to be "very scary" in the playoffs. I don't care who it is.....the Sox can hang, it's always been a mental thing. If this team gets a good clubhouse vibe going, they can go places with this level of talent. Combine that with a few halfway point trades that would definitely occur, and we're talking contender!

delben91
04-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I like what I've seen from the Sox so far, but I think that 6 games is too small a sample. If they go 4-2 this week against KC and Tampa Bay, then I'll unbridle my optimism.

GO SOX!!

1-0 so far. Keep it up guys!

GO SOX!!

delben91
04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by delben91

GO SOX!!

2-0, let's get #3 tomorrow behind Buehrle!

GO SOX!!!