PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox, the Cell and home runs

MRKARNO
04-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I just want to post a question to everyone. The White Sox are one of the few teams in major league history to hit more than 200 home runs in four consecutive seasons. What do you think accounts for this? Is it our deep linep which has a lot of home run hitters or do you think the hitters have the dimensions at the cell to thank for this? Even though the dimensions are somewhat favorable to hitters, the stats seem to indicate that opponents do not have the same success hitting home runs at the cell the past few years. How does everyone feel about this issue? I think that it's somewhere in the middle

SoxFan76
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
It's due to a team full of power hitters. The park helps too, but this team is stacked with 25 plus home run guys.

RKMeibalane
04-12-2004, 09:43 PM
The Sox have so much power in their lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the league in home runs this season. Of course, that shouldn't necessarily be the goal for them, but if it happens, I won't complain. After seeing the team stagger through most of last season with the offense sputtering, it will be nice to see what the Sox are really capable of now that Manuel isn't around to screw things up.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I just want to post a question to everyone. The White Sox are one of the few teams in major league history to hit more than 200 home runs in four consecutive seasons. What do you think accounts for this? Is it our deep linep which has a lot of home run hitters or do you think the hitters have the dimensions at the cell to thank for this? Even though the dimensions are somewhat favorable to hitters, the stats seem to indicate that opponents do not have the same success hitting home runs at the cell the past few years. How does everyone feel about this issue? I think that it's somewhere in the middle

Our park is about as equal for pitchers and hitters as you can get. Statistically I think the Cell is up there in homers per game but the dimensions are fair. 330 is kinda cheap but a lot of parks are even shorter, and home runs rarely go down the lines.

npdempse
04-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Our park is about as equal for pitchers and hitters as you can get. Statistically I think the Cell is up there in homers per game but the dimensions are fair. 330 is kinda cheap but a lot of parks are even shorter, and home runs rarely go down the lines.

If we wants to be real nerdy, BP puts the park factor at 1.018. That's a really tiny hitter's advantage.

MRKARNO
04-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
If we wants to be real nerdy, BP puts the park factor at 1.018. That's a really tiny hitter's advantage.

But Bill James says the park has a huge home run factor. I guess that's just because we've been able to assemble a home run hitting lineup that plays in every game at the park.