PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to make Sox attendance higher than cubs attendance?

SoxBoy14
04-12-2004, 06:09 PM
What would have to happen for the sox average attendance to pass the cubs average? Is it even possible? Here are a few of my ideas....

Sox win a world series, or 2
Sox have some very good years, while the cubs slump
the sox get a great mvp player that everyone adores to get the sox better known

any other ideas?

lths06
04-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Half-price Mondays, Dollar Dog Tuesdays, Rolex Watch Wednesdays?...

Rush20
04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
A trendy neighborhood with lots of bars....

Basically, that's why the Cubs outsell the SOX. People go to the Cell to watch baseball and then go home. People go to Wrigley field to experience the ballpark and hang out/drink in the neighborhood bars.

None of my out of town business clients have ever asked to go to a SOX game. They have asked to "go to Wrigley", note - not "Go See The Cubs". The ballpark/neighborhood sells the team, not vice versa. Sad but very true.

soxwon
04-12-2004, 06:43 PM
if we wore cute pajama tops with red bullseyes on the back
our park smelled like urine
got rid of all the good food
our ss keeps droping balls(oh ours does that lol)
sell the worst beer on earth(old style)
all our fans turn yuppie.
AND PUT A REAL WINNING TEAM ON THE FIELD
(thats the real key)

SEALgep
04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Rush20

Basically, that's why the Cubs outsell the SOX. People go to the Cell to watch baseball and then go home. People go to Wrigley field to experience the ballpark and hang out/drink in the neighborhood bars.

None of my out of town business clients have ever asked to go to a SOX game. They have asked to "go to Wrigley", note - not "Go See The Cubs". The ballpark/neighborhood sells the team, not vice versa. Sad but very true. I agree, it doesn't necessarily have to turn into Wrigley Ville, but having more bars would certainly help matters.

cheeses_h_rice
04-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Only Cub fans care about attendance.

davidleeroth
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
is it even possible to outsell the cubs this year since we lost 6600 seats?

jcirish85
04-12-2004, 07:24 PM

None of my out of town business clients have ever asked to go to a SOX game. They have asked to "go to Wrigley", note - not "Go See The Cubs". The ballpark/neighborhood sells the team, not vice versa. Sad but very true.
i have to agree. the cubs dont outsell, but wrigley does. i guess its just the glamor of the park. one thing, why is it awful that cubs fans watch basball and have a good time? its is a legit excuse for their outselling the sox but it is kinda stupid to make fun of them for it.

Whitesox029
04-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
What would have to happen for the sox average attendance to pass the cubs average? Is it even possible? Here are a few of my ideas....

Sox win a world series, or 2
Sox have some very good years, while the cubs slump
the sox get a great mvp player that everyone adores to get the sox better known

any other ideas?
Media coverage becomes unbiased (not this alone, but this coupled with one or more other factors), Someone being killed or severely injured because of structural deterioration of Wrigley Field, someone becoming ill due to poor sanitary conditions at Wrigley field (it would take several instances of this).

SoxBoy14
04-12-2004, 07:42 PM
if the sox won the world series the next 2 years and the cubs got last place in their division both those years would the sox outsell?

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
if the sox won the world series the next 2 years and the cubs got last place in their division both those years would the sox outsell?

I honestly believe it would take the literal collapse of Wrigley Field for the Sox to out sell the Cubs, even given the previously mentioned circumstances. I don't know about where you live but where I'm at (the Northwest Suburbs) many people talk about the White Sox the way many people talk either about the Yankees (with utter disgust and disdain) or like they are some expansion team that no ones gives a crap about. Throughout the '90's the Sox generally had a better record than the Cubs, who haven't put back to back winning seasons together in, what, 30 years? The Cubs still out sold the Sox.

Anyway, like someone here said before, who cares about attendence? I'd rather go to a game with 15,000 true fans than 38,000 morons who are there to get loaded and soak up some sun.

Daver
04-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Only Cub fans care about attendance.

I concur.

soxnut
04-12-2004, 09:04 PM

I experienced something sinilar when I worked at Navy Pier. I've talked to tourists who would say "we went to the Sox game and/or we went to Wrigley Field". They rarely said they are "going to a Cubs game".

OEO Magglio
04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I concur.
I agree with that statement also, when I get in an argument with a flub fan that's the first thing they say to me, well who sells out more games, who cares I want the sox to win ballgames not sellout the park and lose, the sox have a more knowledgeable fan base and that's all that matters.

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by soxnut

I experienced something sinilar when I worked at Navy Pier. I've talked to tourists who would say "we went to the Sox game and/or we went to Wrigley Field". They rarely said they are "going to a Cubs game".

That's 'cause the Cub's playing is hardly memorable. How many times can you watch Sammy strike out with runners on 2nd and 3rd before you just tune the game out?

Thunderstruck30
04-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Tear down Wrigley. Only the true Cubs fans (all 20 of them) would go to games if the Cubs played elsewhere.

blueeyes33
04-13-2004, 01:31 AM
its because of the neighborhood is 100% right.

but i dont think sox surroundings will change much.which is why, live ive said in plenty of posts the only way to change attendence is by winning..

and by the way.i dont know if anyone here has been to a cubs game or not.but idiots or not, at least they know how to have fun.im sorry im a die hard sox fan but why is our stadium so dead? people need to get more into the game or something. i went to a cubs game last year for the hell of it. (cards) and it was crazy how people were excited to be there.its like a funeral at our park.i know all us on the website most likely got big mouths at the game.but you gotta know what i mean...right?

Rush20
04-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
I honestly believe it would take the literal collapse of Wrigley Field for the Sox to out sell the Cubs, even given the previously mentioned circumstances. I don't know about where you live but where I'm at (the Northwest Suburbs) many people talk about the White Sox the way many people talk either about the Yankees (with utter disgust and disdain) or like they are some expansion team that no ones gives a crap about. Throughout the '90's the Sox generally had a better record than the Cubs, who haven't put back to back winning seasons together in, what, 30 years? The Cubs still out sold the Sox.

Anyway, like someone here said before, who cares about attendence? I'd rather go to a game with 15,000 true fans than 38,000 morons who are there to get loaded and soak up some sun.

I agree! Ever since the Tribune bought the franchise, the Cubs have never had to battle for the back page of the paper. They automatically reserve first right of refusal. Perhaps if the SOX won a World Series, they would get the media coverage (however, only if Sammy Sosa, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood or Dusty Baker didn't have a hang-nail story that day).

What I don't understand is how they keep talking about Wrigley and how it's such a great ballpark. Bull! Take that ballpark brick for brick and place it on the corner of 35th and Shields and the fans would be screaming for it to be torn down and replaced. It's the neighborhood!!! I know JR and staff have been trying, however until the neighborhood around the Cell starts to improve, nothing will change. The rennovations will bring an increase in attendance, however as Hangar pointed out earlier, perhaps some restaurants attached to the ballpark in left field will be a start towards the much needed neighborhood rennovation. Too bad the Fire didn't build their stadium two blocks south. That really would have helped jump start the much needed neighborhood rennovation.