PDA

View Full Version : Interesting "Worst to First" Phil Rogers column...

mweflen
04-12-2004, 05:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1780547

Now I'm worried! Are the Tigers and the D-Rays, two abysmal teams which game us fits last year, going to play us even harder?

Or... will the 'motivation' theory kick in, and since they're better teams, the Sox will show up ready to play?

Or... has Ozzie blown the cobwebs out of the guys ears and now they'll play hard every game?

Either way, it's actually nice to see Detroit have some success. Even watching us beat them was a downer. Watching us lose to them...

The more games the D-Rays take from the Yanks, the better.

I'd LOVE to see the Brew-crew give the Flubbies fits again...

I'm also pulling for a Griffey comeback player of the year season... since he's NL and won't hurt us this year in interleague play! :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-12-2004, 05:54 PM
As I've said before, I'm happy these teams have attempted to become more competitive. It should be a wake up call for Sox players. Last year under the tinkerer, the team was never up to play these teams. If the Sox were actually up for these games last year, they would've been in the playoffs. The Twins lost something like 2 games against the Tigers last season. The Sox went something around .500 against them. You can figure out who ended up winning the division.

mweflen
04-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I guess the first test of the "new attitude" Sox will be Apr. 16-18 away against the D-Rays. They'll be coming here the 23rd thru 25th.

That should be a good barometer of what type of season we can expect. We'll likely go .500 against solid competitors like the Yanks, Royals, Twins, and the West Coast teams. April against the D-Rays will probably tell us a lot about how we'll do against the veritable butt-load of Tigers and Indians games we have in the latter months of the season.

ma-gaga
04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
it's just phil putting up an april column. yes, maybe the tigers are for real, maybe they are playing out of their minds.

we'll see in a month. 4 games does not a season make.

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
detroit is alot better team than would indicate on paper. theyve got some pretty underrated players (monroe, vina, higginson, and pena). not to mention they have a pretty outstanding rotation. they may not finish .500, but then again, anything is an improvement on a 119 loss season.

doublem23
04-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh please, he's just catching the coattails of this ridiculous, "FEAR THE TIGERS," hysteria. Let them play some games against the real teams of the American League before we start watching their magic number.

mweflen
04-13-2004, 12:06 AM
I don't fear the Tigers, I just know how we struggled with their 119-loss incarnation last year, and I'm wondering how good they are this year.

Last time I checked, though, the Blue Jays and the Twins were not pushover opponents.

doublem23
04-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by mweflen

Last time I checked, though, the Blue Jays and the Twins were not pushover opponents.

The Blue Jays I could see... They could either be pretty good or horribly overrated. What makes the Twins not a pushover? That great offense or unhittable pitching staff? Come on, now that they don't have the ****ty turf, they lost their best player.

mweflen
04-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Actually, I think the Twinkies are a better team than the Jays - though not by much given their losses this offseason.

My point is, both teams will finish near .500 this year (whether above or below), they're firmly "middle of the pack" opposition. For the Tigers to manhandle them either indicates some lucky play, or fundamental soundness of their own (which I tend to favor, seeing how I-Rod has played).

doublem23
04-13-2004, 02:14 AM
They may be better offensively and defensively, they still have no pitching. I'd say a pretty realistic and positive goal for the Kitties is to avoid losing 100.

TDog
04-13-2004, 04:31 AM
I don't think the Tigers will be in contention, but I would like to see them have as much success against the Twinks and Royals as they did against the Sox last year.

Baby Fisk
04-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Blue Jays I could see... They could either be pretty good or horribly overrated.

The black jays have been overrated. They looked pathetic against Boston.