PDA

View Full Version : .436 Winning Percentage on Road Over Last 3 Years

joecrede
04-12-2004, 11:51 AM
That's the main reason splitting 6 tough road games is a really good start. Their winning percentage at home for the same period is a robust .593.

34 Inch Stick
04-12-2004, 12:02 PM
The truth is that splitting in New York gets the rest of the division's attention. They now have some fear because we have played the measuring stick of the league to a draw. The Twins have got to be thinking that this may be a new kind of White Sox. Mientkiewicz admitted the Twins believed the White Sox had the better talent but the Twins had the better team. What if the White Sox now have the better team?

I know when I see a rival in NY for the weekend, I consider it an opportunity to pick up games. It's disheartning not to gain ground. I assume the same is true for other teams.

MRKARNO
04-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Splitting the two road serieses is nothing to be ashamed of or mad at. The fact that we easily couldve been 5-1 just speaks to the potential of this team to do really well this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Yes, splitting with the Yankees inside Yankee Stadium is cause for encouragement. This is especially true because now we have a manager who wasn't willing to forfeit the last game of the series simply because he was satisfied with the earlier results. That's a HUGE difference and one that ought to pay dividends down the line.

Unfortunately, six games is still only six games. A bounce here or there and we could be 5-1 or 1-5, too. It's early, but I'm the first one to defend the importance of the results of April games. You can't win championships in April but you can most definitely lose them, a lesson Jerry Manuel never learned. So I'm encouraged even though it is just six games.

The team has played better for Guillen the opening week than they played for Manuel the opening week. That's very encouraging... beyond simply adding up the actual number of wins and losses.

Brian26
04-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
That's the main reason splitting 6 tough road games is a really good start. Their winning percentage at home for the same period is a robust .593.

I'm afraid to ask what our winning percentage on the west coast is for the last three years.

doublem23
04-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm afraid to ask what our winning percentage on the west coast is for the last three years.

Probably negative something or other.

TornLabrum
04-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Probably negative something or other.

You are correct. I looked it up and the Sox have lost 7 more games than they've played on the West Coast over the past 3 years. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
There's an old saying that if you can split on the road and win 2/3rd's of your home games you can win a championship.

Personally I think that's true (although I'm sure there are some individuals here at WSI who can't wait to go through reams of stats to prove that it's wrong! LOL) in which case it's a decent start to the season (especially considering the abortion last Monday!)

Lip

jabrch
04-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
There's an old saying that if you can split on the road and win 2/3rd's of your home games you can win a championship.

Personally I think that's true (although I'm sure there are some individuals here at WSI who can't wait to go through reams of stats to prove that it's wrong! LOL) in which case it's a decent start to the season (especially considering the abortion last Monday!)

Lip

That gets you 92-93 wins. In this division, I think that's a winner.

Brian26
04-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
You are correct. I looked it up and the Sox have lost 7 more games than they've played on the West Coast over the past 3 years. :D:

LOL. I enjoyed that.

Railsplitter
04-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Go .500 on the road and win 50 at home, and you're in contention.

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2004, 11:29 PM
the west coast is what kills us...year in, year out. if we could improve on that, we would be gold.