PDA

View Full Version : Statue Idea

kingpin_rcs
04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
The Sox are unveiling a statue of Charles Comiskey later this month. This gave me an idea - let me know what you think.

To honor past players in the White Sox hall of fame build statues of them and put them in the proper positions where Old Comiskey used to be.

So, eventhough it's a parking lot, a staute of Luis Aparicio would be near where second base used to be. A statue of Harold Baines in Right Field. Perhaps, someday Frank Thomas at first base or at the plate (since he's mostly a DH).

If not out in the lot then in the concorse where the Comiskey statue is or perhaps this could be part of the "Grand Entrance" they use to talk about.

SEALgep
04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
I like the statue idea, not necessarily in the parking lot, even though I see your logic there. I wouldn't mind seeing guys honored around the stadium on the sidewalks. Not that I foresee a problem for me or anyone else here, but there are idiot drivers out there that would no doubtedly hit these statues with their cars or massive SUV if they were in the parking lot. Nonetheless, I like the idea. Around the stadium, you could also fit more, which is good, especially as time goes on.

Jerko
04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I like the statue idea, not necessarily in the parking lot, even though I see your logic there. I wouldn't mind seeing guys honored around the stadium on the sidewalks. Not that I foresee a problem for me or anyone else here, but there are idiot drivers out there that would no doubtedly hit these statues with their cars or massive SUV if they were in the parking lot. Nonetheless, I like the idea. Around the stadium, you could also fit more, which is good, especially as time goes on.

Well, I'd run one over if it was an action shot and the seats weren't green......................

Brian26
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Harold deserves a statue someday, but it's a little spooky/creepy to have one of him while he's still alive and on the team as a coach.

SEALgep
04-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Harold deserves a statue someday, but it's a little spooky/creepy to have one of him while he's still alive and on the team as a coach. True, same with Guillen.

Whitesox029
04-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
The Sox are unveiling a statue of Charles Comiskey later this month. This gave me an idea - let me know what you think.

To honor past players in the White Sox hall of fame build statues of them and put them in the proper positions where Old Comiskey used to be.

So, eventhough it's a parking lot, a staute of Luis Aparicio would be near where second base used to be. A statue of Harold Baines in Right Field. Perhaps, someday Frank Thomas at first base or at the plate (since he's mostly a DH).

If not out in the lot then in the concorse where the Comiskey statue is or perhaps this could be part of the "Grand Entrance" they use to talk about.
The problem with that is, where do you put guys who played at the same position as other Sox greats? If we put Luis Aparicio at short then were do we put Luke Appling? Ray Schalk and Carlton Fisk? Billy Pierce and Ted Lyons?

beckett21
04-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Something like the Yankees Monument Park would be pretty cool, you wouldn't need to put statues necessarily but plaques. It would still be a nice attraction.

Of course they've won a few more WS than we have.... :(:

RKMeibalane
04-12-2004, 08:40 PM
:hitless

"Do I get a statue?"

:hurt

"Sure, Royce."

(hands Clayton a gnome statue)

:hitless

"No. I meant a statue of myself."

:hurt

"Don't make me sick."

HomerCoach
04-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Where are you going to put Willie Harris' statue? He never played at old Comiskey

RKMeibalane
04-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Where are you going to put Willie Harris' statue? He never played at old Comiskey

Next to the Jerry Manuel statue, of course.

Thunderstruck30
04-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Put the Harris statue between Navarro and Clayton.

akingamongstmen
04-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Put the Harris statue between Navarro and Clayton.

Whoa...geez...give the guy a chance, will ya? First of all, we're heading into the SECOND WEEK of the season and he's done ok. Plus, nobody should under any circumstances be compared to the atrocity that was Jaime Navarro.

anewman35
04-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
Plus, nobody should under any circumstances be compared to the atrocity that was Jaime Navarro.

Todd Ritchie?

Brian26
04-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Don't forget the Terry Bevington statue.

RustyKuntz
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Todd Ritchie?

Hey, at least Todd Ritchie seemed like a nice guy.

Baby Fisk
04-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Boston is unveiling a Ted Williams statue today. In Philly, Mike Schmidt has been immortalized with a statue outside a stadium he never played in.

Why are we starting with Charles Comiskey?! :?:

Tekijawa
04-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Boston is unveiling a Ted Williams statue today. In Philly, Mike Schmidt has been immortalized with a statue outside a stadium he never played in.

Why are we starting with Charles Comiskey?! :?:

Generally we try and either trade away or alienate our "great" players towards the end of their careers, I don't think any of them would come back for an Unveiling of their statue... The only one that I can think of that would appreciate a statue is Harold Baines, and why build a statue when you can see the real thing at the park each day?